Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting sticks

• 13-02-2017 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19

Hi all. I'm looking to get a pair of shooting sticks. Can ye recommend a type or brand. Have any of ye got or used them ones with the trigger.? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I don't have the trigger stick ones but do use sticks on most of my hunting - stalking / foxs / rabbits.

My go-to sticks for open fields etc (deer, fox & rabbit) are a home made set of quads ( see internet).

For forest stalking I have an adjustable tripod (Wild Hunter). Brilliant for stalking where your moving from standing to sitting / kneeling shots. For walking I keep them extended, for sitting up I'll adjust them to sitting height, very stable when used with the correct technique.

For hill stalking I have been using a light weight set of sticks similar to what the coyote hunters use in the US and a bipod. To be honest I'm contemplating ditching the bipod for next season in the hills and just going a foot with the light sticks. There's always a peat hag or some such to rest on and the sticks come in handy if you do end up in deep cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 Shooter Cotter

Thanks cookimonster. I have a pair of wild hunter ones as well great sticks for the price but looking maybe towards the 2 leg trigger ones if I get a bit of info if anyone has them. They look really handy the way the can fold up nice and tidy.. Thanks keep the messages coming..??

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Friend made them from the green plastic coated metal plant canes from woodies uses four of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Tikka391

Friend made them from the green plastic coated metal plant canes from woodies uses four of them!

When I started using sticks first I made a set using those plastic coated poles you mention.
    They do the job great and are very light, but they kink very easy. You might slip a bit or lean on them slightly or something like that and they will kink.
    I think you can get wooden poles coated in plastic, if you could find them they would do the job and maybe be a bit stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Tikka391 wrote:
    When I started using sticks first I made a set using those plastic coated poles you mention. They do the job great and are very light, but they kink very easy. You might slip a bit or lean on them slightly or something like that and they will kink. I think you can get wooden poles coated in plastic, if you could find them they would do the job and maybe be a bit stronger.

Yeah! They seem to do the job while ye'd be getting or making a better set for yerself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭clivej

Tikka391 wrote: »
    When I started using sticks first I made a set using those plastic coated poles you mention.
    They do the job great and are very light, but they kink very easy. You might slip a bit or lean on them slightly or something like that and they will kink.
    I think you can get wooden poles coated in plastic, if you could find them they would do the job and maybe be a bit stronger.

Trick is to use the longer thicker poles from woodies. The 1m poles are thin and will flex a little if put under strain.

See this thread on making up a set
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100802990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Plus 1 on Clive's post.
    These are what I use for my quads. They originally started out as a bipod, I added the lighter poles for the rear support.
    Now any one who knows me will tell you I've the coordination and grace of a head shot rabbit and end up using this set up as a walking / trecking pole, all 16 stone of me and have yet to buckle them.
    Great cheep and steady alternative to shop bought.

Advertisement