Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Deskjet 2542

Options
  • 13-02-2017 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

HI, can anyone help please. HP Deskjet 2542 printer has all lights flashing. HP help says turn off unplug for 15 seconds & switch back on.
    This doesnt work. Do I have to reinstall drivers?? If so how can I do it as all the lights are flashing when I connect it. Hopfully someone can help.
    Best regards.
    Fyfyta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Drivers won't fix it. It needs to be repaired if it's still in warranty. If not then you have to ask if it's worth getting fixed. Before that there are a few things that might help:

Do the lights start blinking as soon as power is applied or does it go through it's self test and cleaning first ?
    Are you using genuine HP refills ?
    Try taking them all out and if possible clean the contacts on the cartridges and the slots they go in to.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭FyFyTa

Hi Ken, Yes it goes through self test & cleaning and then the dreaded blinking lights.
    Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

If it's partly functioning (printing alignment page) before lights start flashing it's likely the circuitry on one the cartridges is at fault. Remove the colour cartridge and attempt a copy in black. If problem remains remove the black and insert colour. Process of elimination normally sorts this. This is less likely if using the OEM carts.

It could also be caused by a power surge etc. But in this case it's unlikely it would function at all and lights would be permanent.

I suspect it's out of warranty due to model type but google hp warranty check and you can enter serial no.

(These printers are money pits - non OEM will fail from time to time). PM me if you want advice on a replacement.

Advertisement