Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car transfer of ownship delay? What can I do

• 13-02-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Bought a car off a garage 14days ago. Looked last Monday on line to see if the ownership documents were transferred and they weren't.
    Rang dealer Weds, Thursday & Friday plus went in person about it and keep being told that the car was transferred in to the dealers name and they have to go to the tax office to change it!

It's a we'll know garage. It's got lots of trade going in and out but..... I'm uneasy as to what the delay is.

I've rang the tax office in Shannon and they said there's nothing they can do?

I have a receipt and they have already sold on my trade in

Would be glad of any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most dealers with a TAN can do the transfer of ownership online in 5 mins these days. If a dealer selling lots of cars had to go into the tax to do a transfer of ownership then they would have someone camped there every day so it sounds like they are telling you porkies to fob you off. When you get fobbed off like that then it's pretty likely that they didn't receive the old log book from the previous owner. You need to pester them into sorting it out or go sort out the ownership issue yourself with Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Motortax.ir would tell you if it was signed into a dealers name in the last 3 months.

Do the have a registration cert for the car? They can't transfer it into their name online without that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Fly38

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Motortax.ir would tell you if it was signed into a dealers name in the last 3 months.

Do the have a registration cert for the car? They can't transfer it into their name online without that.

It's been just NCT'd and it's in the garages name so they must have the registration Cert.

I'm going to give one more call tomorrow
    Then is there anyway I can force them to transfer the ownership?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Most dealers with a TAN can do the transfer of ownership online in 5 mins these days. If a dealer selling lots of cars had to go into the tax to do a transfer of ownership then they would have someone camped there every day so it sounds like they are telling you porkies to fob you off. When you get fobbed off like that then it's pretty likely that they didn't receive the old log book from the previous owner. You need to pester them into sorting it out or go sort out the ownership issue yourself with Shannon.

Shannon said they couldn't help. Is there something I need to ask them to do?

Shannon said they couldn't help. Is there something I need to ask them to do?

• Advertisement

Go into the garage, too easy to fob you off over the phone. Maybe drop some hints that some parking/toll fines might be coming their way if the car remains in their name.

There is also a process for getting a car transferred into your name which involves filling out a form from Shannon or motor tax office, get a main dealer of the car manufacturer, Garda and Peace Commissioner to sign, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fly38 wrote: »
    It's been just NCT'd and it's in the garages name so they must have the registration Cert.

I'm going to give one more call tomorrow
    Then is there anyway I can force them to transfer the ownership?

As in their name is on the NCT print-off, or they just got it tested?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    As in their name is on the NCT print-off, or they just got it tested?

Garage tested it and it had the owner of the garages name on the nct print out

Go into the garage, too easy to fob you off over the phone. Maybe drop some hints that some parking/toll fines might be coming their way if the car remains in their name.

There is also a process for getting a car transferred into your name which involves filling out a form from Shannon or motor tax office, get a main dealer of the car manufacturer, Garda and Peace Commissioner to sign, etc.

That's good to know Bazz26.
    I feel because I'm a woman I'm getting fobbed off. Good to know I can go in and get it sorted myself if they don't cooperate

I was told to get lost vehicle documents form filled out by the guards.

Would I be able to change ownership with that document?

• Advertisement

Sounds like a real classy business, let's hope you don't need to go back to them to fix the car.

From here:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-motor-tax/change-vehicles-owner

Note: If the Vehicle Registration Certificate is missing, and If there is no contact with the seller, the new owner must submit a Statutory Declaration Form to the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport. The Declaration includes garage certified details and the sworn date of purchase can be used as the date from which the tax is to be charged, no Garda stamp is required. Statutory Declarations can be witnessed by a commissioner for Oaths, Notary Public/Practising Solicitor or Peace Commissioner. (Please contact the Dept of Transport to request this form)

Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
    Shannon
    Co.Clare

Phone No : 0818 411 412
    Email: motortax@dttas.ie

Advertisement