Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brook V Spence May 20

• 13-02-2017 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Brook Spence Jnr is an amazing fight

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Spence's breakout party. I expect nothing less than a complete demolition job. Should be a cracker of a fight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Confirmed by Dan Rafael. On in Sheffield. Genuine 50/50 imo. Really tough fight to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Spence seems to be getting way overrated.

I really do think Spence is legit and I also don't think Brook is as good a fighter at 147.

But Spence's best win is Chris Algieri tbf. Hard to say he for sure wins this. He's still unproven and its a massive step up.

pac_man wrote: »
    On what basis is it a demolition job? I think Brook is rightfully the favourite in this.

I am being biased by being a massive fan of Spence but I think it's a horrible time for Brook to be fighting him. Brook is after a savage beating from Golovkin and who's to know how he is mentally as well as how his eye is. As well as that it's a fight Brook doesn't want, said it himself. Can Brook even make 147 @ 100% condition any more? As well as that how does Brook cope with Spence's body attack? Brook never was a great inside fighter and Spence isn't slow either. Now, don't get me wrong, Brook is a highly skilled fighter who'll look to counter punch for a lot of the fight, something he'll have some joy but I think there's a reason he's pursuing Khan and Manny other than money. It's understandable Brook is favourite, as he's the belt holder and Spence is a young pup, but there's a good reason the odds aren't that far off each other. I really think Spence lives up to his nickname. Will hold my hand up if Brook shows him up, but Spence is going to be a star imo.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    I really do think Spence is legit and I also don't think Brook is as good a fighter at 147.

But Spence's best win is Chris Algieri tbf. Hard to say he for sure wins this. He's still unproven and its a massive step up.

Provo lost to Algieri, Manny couldn't stop him (but to be fair it should have been stopped) and Khan struggled with him...Spence destroyed him. Granted he fought him most recent but it was very impressive. Aside from the Porter win has Brook beaten that many better fighters?

Burial. wrote: »
    Provo lost to Algieri, Manny couldn't stop him (but to be fair it should have been stopped) and Khan struggled with him...Spence destroyed him. Granted he fought him most recent but it was very impressive. Aside from the Porter win has Brook beaten that many better fighters?

Brook went life and death with Carson Jones. I do agree the jury is still out on Brook. Just couldn't be that confident in Spence as he's still virtually unknown. Going off what I've heard more than what he's shown if I pick him with confidence (even though everything he's shown has been impressive)

I'm leaning towards Spence but can't say I'm in any way confident. Especially with Eddie Hearn scorecards coming into the equation. The same scorecards that had Brook up against GGG.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Brook went life and death with Carson Jones. I do agree the jury is still out on Brook. Just couldn't be that confident in Spence as he's still virtually unknown. Going off what I've heard more than what he's shown if I pick him with confidence (even though everything he's shown has been impressive)

I'm leaning towards Spence but can't say I'm in any way confident. Especially with Eddie Hearn scorecards coming into the equation. The same scorecards that had Brook up against GGG.

It's by no means a certainty but I fully expect Spence to win, and win in style. Even considering he KO'd Bundu out cold, a guy Thurman couldn't put away. He's dispatching lads better than his more renowned peers. Obviously fighting them after these guys takes away a little, but it's still highly impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Its a great fight with 2 A- Level fighters, with good skills and a few intangibles in play.

Spence somewhat unknown what his ceiling will be, arguments for both huge potential/class and over-rated are plausible.

Brook - how will he react after Golovkin (He got smashed around, don't believe the Hype). A smashed eye-socket is an injury that never truly heels - See Antonio Margarito.

It is a 50/50 fight, one of the few Matchroom fights I'll actually put my hand in my pocket for. Kudos to both parties for getting it done with little to no fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Thinking of heading to this when the dates are confirmed. 27th May looking likely.

• Advertisement

Brook for me is a rightful favourite. I think Spence may be the one surprised here. That lead right hand from Brook is heavy, fast and accurate. It's his key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I like Brook's chances also. Not sure Spence will have fought a welter as big as Brook. It was Brook's skills that bought him the bit of success he had against GGG.. as Walshb mentioned that lead right hand is a serious weapon.. Brook has great timing and if he gets that shot into play early he'll have success against the southpaw.

Combine this with what I personally think will be an advantage in strength on the night it could make for a tough night for Spence. Brook ties up very well and leans on which can tire smaller guy out.

Spence definitely has a good chance. He's done everything asked of him with style so far and we haven't seen his ceiling yet. I'd lean towards Brook 55/45.

Delighted this fight has been made and with Thurman v Garcia being made also the welterweight division I'd finally seeing the best fight the best.

rebelomar wrote: »
    I like Brook's chances also. Not sure Spence will have fought a welter as big as Brook. It was Brook's skills that bought him the bit of success he had against GGG.. as Walshb mentioned that lead right hand is a serious weapon.. Brook has great timing and if he gets that shot into play early he'll have success against the southpaw.

Plus Brook won't have to shoot upwards with the lead right hand. Spence fights "short" in stature. Brook will be throwing it dead straight, and even at a kind of downward angle, resulting in better speed and power being delivered from it. Brook also throws that right hook lovely "out of nowhere". Turns it at the last second almost. I see Spence getting hurt from it if he is not really careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

My big worry here is the weight. Brook has had well documented problems making welter and even with the various improvements he made prior to the Golovkin fight, he's still very big at the weight. When you add in that it will be c. 15 months since he made welter by the time he steps into the ring and he had a long break from the gym while recuperating from his eye socket injury I'm a little uncertain about his ability to make the weight and still be strong. If I was confident he would be strong, then I'd favour him slightly, but it's a nagging doubt that will only be answered on the night.

Advertisement