Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Born in Americia-Travelling Back on An Irish Passport.

Options
  • 13-02-2017 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Ive just came to the realisation that because I was born in Americia that I need an Americian Passport to enter and leave the country. I travel in less than 4 weeks to New York for 8 days hoilday, I currently hold a vaild Irish Passport. I have emailed to the americian embassey to apply for an emergencey passport, but in the automated email they sent back it said emergencey passports only issued if its a medical emergencey or if there is a death of a relative. As it takes 5-6 weeks for a normal americian passport to come through this is not a option for me. I am just looking for advice did the americian embassey in Dublin ever give anyone an Emergencey Americian Passport in similar circumstances to mine?? Or did anyone travel to Americia on there Irish passport hassle free??

Any advice or help would be greatly appericat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You have to use a US passport to enter the US if you hold a US passport but I'm not aware that the US requires you to assert your rights to US citizenship and hold a US passport just because you were born there.

Take for example a child who was born prematurely in the US while his mother was on a short trip to NYC. Mother takes baby home to Ireland, boy grows up, gets an Irish passport because his mother is Irish. Now that young man is in his 20s and wants to go on a trip to the US, does he suddenly have to assert his right to US citizenship and apply for a US passport because he wont be admitted to the US if his Irish passport says he was born in the US?

Your post seems to indicate that this is the case, I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AshRose12

coylemj wrote: »
    You have to use a US passport to enter the US if you hold a US passport but I'm not aware that the US requires you to assert your rights to US citizenship and hold a US passport just because you were born there.

Take for example a child who was born prematurely in the US while his mother was on a short trip to NYC. Mother takes baby home to Ireland, boy grows up, gets an Irish passport because his mother is Irish. Now that young man is in his 20s and wants to go on a trip to the US, does he suddenly have to assert his right to US citizenship and apply for a US passport because he wont be admitted to the US if his Irish passport says he was born in the US?

Your post seems to indicate that this is the case, I'm not so sure.

I did have an Americian Passport previously expired years ago and since moving house has become misplaced. I live in Americia until I was 9 months old. I did not renew it because I had my Irish one. My dream hoilday has shattered to pieces in the last hour. Thanks for your help coleymj 😊

AshRose12 wrote: »
    I did have an Americian Passport previously ......

In that case I strongly suspect that you will need a US passport since they consider you a US citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't think what you're saying is correct but you shouldn't take my word for it.

Why do you have to travel to the US on a US passport?

The important thing, as I understand it, is that whatever passport you travel out on you travel back on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

They won't be long telling you at customs and border patrol at Dublin. Does this mean you need to do an esta?

• Advertisement

I quickly Googled it there and it looks like I'm wrong:

http://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/51933/leaving-and-entering-the-us-with-a-foreign-passport

Though there are mixed responses in that link I wouldn't advise risking it, especially with things the way they are right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I know someone who was born in America, but when they returned home as child. They didn't renew their US passport. They got an Irish one instead.

They went to the US and when they landed, they were grilled for 2-3 hours on why they didn't fly in on their US passport. They were let into the US. But she felt the interview was more ignorance than anything. They couldn't wrap their head around why someone would use an Irish passport versus a US one.

I say you will get into the US. Just expect a grilling on why you aren't using the passport of the 'land and free'.

Definitive answer from the US Embassy in Dublin: A US citizen is not allowed to enter or leave the US on anything other than a US Passport .........

Travel to and from the United States: According to Section 215 of the U.S Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) it is illegal for a U.S. citizen to enter or leave the United States on anything other than a U.S. passport. This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g. both Irish and U.S. citizenships MUST enter and leave the United States on a valid U.S. passport; they may NOT enter/leave the United States on an Irish/foreign passport. This applies to children as well as adults.

https://ie.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

As an American living in Ireland for almost 20 years, I travelled back a few years ago with my daughter who was just under 2 and was grilled in Dublin immigration about why I didn't have a US passport for her - I thought it was ok for her to travel on her Irish passport. As she's my second child I didn't rush and get everything done like I had with my first born so put it on the long finger, not giving it another thought - plus it's the cost factor of having two passports for kids who didn't really need two at the time. If I were you, I'd do whatever possible to get an appointment as you have your ticket booked as you indicated you had one previously you might have an issue - and as coylemj indicated, there is a definitive answer on this topic. Let us know how you get on & best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Are you sure you can't get an ordinary US passport in the 4 weeks? My six year old is a joint US/Irish citizen and I renewed his passport in the embassy in Dublin last September and I had it back within the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

coylemj wrote: »
    Take for example a child who was born prematurely in the US while his mother was on a short trip to NYC. Mother takes baby home to Ireland, boy grows up, gets an Irish passport because his mother is Irish. Now that young man is in his 20s and wants to go on a trip to the US, does he suddenly have to assert his right to US citizenship and apply for a US passport because he wont be admitted to the US if his Irish passport says he was born in the US.

In this situation it's not even a question if asserting the child's right to be a citizen. The child is a citizen from the moment he is born in the US, a passport is simply evidence of citizenship.

I chatted to some Americans in work who have Irish and American citizenship. They concur you must travel into the US legally on your US passport. You are not meant to use your Irish one. That said, one said they could just fill esta and go in on the Irish one but you're hoping that the border agent doesn't start asking questions about why you are doing that. So if you can't move the trip, can't get a US passport and will lose you money you could try that. Worse thing is they refuse you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Best thing to do is get on the phone to the US Embassy asap and get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

FYI, this isn't just an American rule.
    If you also hold Irish citizenship then you are required to use an Irish passport when entering Ireland.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    FYI, this isn't just an American rule.
    If you also hold Irish citizenship then you are required to use an Irish passport when entering Ireland.

So if you hold an Irish and American passport and you are travelling from there to here you have to leave the States using the US Passport and enter Ireland using the Irish passport?

Earthhorse wrote: »
    So if you hold an Irish and American passport and you are travelling from there to here you have to leave the States using the US Passport and enter Ireland using the Irish passport?

Yes.

Yea this is what the Americans in work said also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Also US Citizens are required to file a tax return with the IRS every year whether they're US residents or not.

But I'm sure of you dont have a Social Security number it wouldnt be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

It took less than 2 weeks for me to renew my US passport last April. I would just submit the application tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

FYI,  this isn't just an American rule.

Not true.
    It is US law that a US citizen must enter and leave the US on their US Passport but a dual citizen can show either passport when they land in Ireland.

• Advertisement

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Not true.
    It is US law that a US citizen must enter and leave the US on their US Passport but a dual citizen can show either passport when they land in Ireland.

This would only allow for a temporary stay in Ireland and would be very, very stupid.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Also US Citizens are required to file a tax return with the IRS every year whether they're US residents or not.

But I'm sure of you dont have a Social Security number it wouldnt be an issue.

Yes.
    The US taxes it citizens based in citizenship and not residency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AshRose12

Hi Guys, Thanks to everyone for there replys. I appiled for an americian passport last week. Hopefully it will be back in time, regardless im going to apply for a esta also just incase it isnt back in time and chance my arm with my irish passport. 2 weeks and 4 days until i fly out 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Not true.

Yep. My Irish passport has been expired for over 5 years. I re enter the country on my US one, whether I am coming from the US, the UK, or Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Not true.

This would only allow for a temporary stay in Ireland and would be very, very stupid.
    That makes no sense.
    If you fly into Ireland and show your Irish passport obviously there is no limit on your stay.

Advertisement