Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into education from a non education Undergraduate

Options
  • 14-02-2017 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all,

First, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I feel like I might have posted something similar to this before, oh well.

Basically I'm in my second year of an Undergraduate degree in Science and I'm starting to see that I don't think I'd like to work in that area after college, I like my course and the modules we do, but I don't think I want to do what it "prepares" us for. We do work placement next year, that might change my mind.

Something that has always been at the back of my mind has been going into education. I love the idea of working in a school environment and teaching young people about Maths and the Sciences (Physics is a preference). I know it's not comparable to a classroom but I've given grinds to LCs (OL Maths) in the past and there was always something so satisfying about seeing the group leave with the confidence to approach exam questions they couldn't do before.

The problem is, education seems to be quite a bleak area of work, especially for young people today.

On top of that, I'm not exactly sure how I even go about getting the correct qualifications after college.

TLDR; Is it possible to go into education with anon education Undergraduate and is it event worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

TMJM96 wrote: »
    Hi all,

First, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I feel like I might have posted something similar to this before, oh well.

Basically I'm in my second year of an Undergraduate degree in Science and I'm starting to see that I don't think I'd like to work in that area after college, I like my course and the modules we do, but I don't think I want to do what it "prepares" us for. We do work placement next year, that might change my mind.

Something that has always been at the back of my mind has been going into education. I love the idea of working in a school environment and teaching young people about Maths and the Sciences (Physics is a preference). I know it's not comparable to a classroom but I've given grinds to LCs (OL Maths) in the past and there was always something so satisfying about seeing the group leave with the confidence to approach exam questions they couldn't do before.

The problem is, education seems to be quite a bleak area of work, especially for young people today.

On top of that, I'm not exactly sure how I even go about getting the correct qualifications after college.

TLDR; Is it possible to go into education with anon education Undergraduate and is it event worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Teachers come with lots of degrees. I recommend you keep going with your science, (maths/physics is a good combo to have) and then do the PME after your degree. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Teachers come with lots of degrees. I recommend you keep going with your science, (maths/physics is a good combo to have) and then do the PME after your degree. Good luck.

The problem is I don't have any Biology credits, the incorrect Maths Credits and not enough Chemistry credits. However after this semester I have the Physics requirements for teaching done.

What do I do in terms of getting the credits for the other sciences and maths? Will I require another undergraduate? I would switch to the education course but I'd have to pay full fees for two years and that is in no way feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

The problem is I don't have any Biology credits, the incorrect Maths Credits and not enough Chemistry credits. However after this semester I have the Physics requirements for teaching done.

What do I do in terms of getting the credits for the other sciences and maths? Will I require another undergraduate? I would switch to the education course but I'd have to pay full fees for two years and that is in no way feasible.

Figure out which maths credits you need, physics and maths would be enough. ,out science teachers don't teach all science subjects to LC, you would have Physics and Maths to LC and Science to JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Well from the Teaching Council perspective - they will tell you that once you satisfy credits for at least one subject that's it's up to a principal to decide what you can teach.

Also if you were to continue and do the PME, the free maths course in UL might still be available so you could complete that once you have at least one class of maths per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Do you mean switch to the BEd in science?
    Either way you'll need an add on PME or do education as part of your degree (BEd is the general term).
    Pay now to switch to BEd or pay later to complete the 2 year PME .
    Physics is a minor subject compared to having biology , most science teachers I know are put down for maths if the school is stuck! But that's changing.
    Get all modules necessary done now I'd say rather than coming out looking for work... and heading back to college to complete modules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

solerina wrote: »
    Figure out which maths credits you need, physics and maths would be enough. ,out science teachers don't teach all science subjects to LC, you would have Physics and Maths to LC and Science to JC.

He will need Biology and Chemistry credits to qualify in Science though.

OP, if your degree doesn't contain the correct credits for the subjects you want to teach then you will have to do them in addition to the degree. There's no way around that. You will then have to do a two year Masters to qualify as a teacher. You say you couldn't pay two years of fees to transfer to Science Education, but the Masters will be just as expensive and you will have to pay for extra modules in addition to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The problem is I don't have any Biology credits, the incorrect Maths Credits and not enough Chemistry credits. However after this semester I have the Physics requirements for teaching done..

You can't have the Physics requirements done because you must have studied it at 3rd Year level or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate it!

Realised I made a mistake a mistake regarding having satisfied the requirements for Physics so fat, still have QM left to do (I found a list of what modules must have been covered).

Seems like a lot of extra effort (already do 5 intensive modules with 27 hours a week, can't imagine doing another on top of that) and money (either reapplying through CAO or PME).

Looks like I'll leave the idea of education alone anyway!

Advertisement