Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberty car insurance

Options
  • 14-02-2017 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have recently had my insurance cancelled by liberty because they have been informed by a gaurd that has been harassing me over the last couple of years that i have penalty points.

They have recently contacted me by letter to tell me that they're backdating my insurance to the date I paid for it, meaning that I have basically been driving for the last 6months with no insurance without my own knowledge..

This guard specific gaurds has told me numerous times that he's going to be getting me off the road.
    Now he finally has found a loop whole in my insurance. All this started a few weeks back when he pulled me over in VW Polo that I was covered to drive with my third party policy because I had my own Policy on my parents VW Passat but because the VW Passat was in my parents name he said my third party cover doesn't count but I'm still insured in the Passat. He took the VW Polo off my family even tho my parents had open drive policy to drive the car home he wouldn't allow them to take it & forced us to pay 130€ for the car to stay over night. He then also sent out a 60€ fine because the polo had no insurance disk due to the fact that I didn't have a policy in the VW Polo because my policy covered me to drive it & the VW Polo also was not in my name. After my insurance was cancelled we spent a couple of days trying to get someone to insure me & it eventually cost me 3400€ & my previous policy cost me 2300€ with open drive. I have 3 years name drivers experience & 6 penalty points & now with a cancellation on my licence. This gaurd then pulled me on birthday to ask me why I was driving because he knew that he had my insurance cancelled & then laughed at me when I told him I was able to get insurance.

The gaurd then told me he's taking me to court for driving with no insurance & im looking at 5 penalty points and I'm looking at been put off the road.
    This is extreme unfair to me & not to mention I also have Cystic fibrosis & I really feel like I'm being bullied by this man & im becoming even more depressed about my life & it's bad enough as it is but now I'm looking at loosing one of the only benefits in my life because somebody has taken a dislike to me. Does anyone know what I can do?

Dates Pulled over

7/1/17
    13/1/17
    17/1/17
    12/2/17

All by the same gaurd everytime.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'm a bit confused.

The Passat, is the policy in your name or your parents name?

Unless you have a policy in your own name then you don't have the driving of other cars extension, even if you were named on their policy.

There are other restrictions on driving other cars aswell but the main one would be that you have to have a policy in your own name.

If you do not have a policy in your own name then you do not have driving other cars, therefore you were driving the Polo uninsured and if you were pulled then you will likely face the standard penalties for uninsured driving.

In relation to the harassment allegation, thats not the concern of the insurer.

I'm sure there are avenues that you can go down to report the alleged harassment, the garda ombudsman for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Codyy117

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused.

The Passat, is the policy in your name or your parents name?

Unless you have a policy in your own name then you don't have the driving of other cars extension, even if you were named on their policy.

There are other restrictions on driving other cars aswell but the main one would be that you have to have a policy in your own name.

If you do not have a policy in your own name then you do not have driving other cars, therefore you were driving the Polo uninsured and if you were pulled then you will likely face the standard penalties for uninsured driving.

In relation to the harassment allegation, thats not the concern of the insurer.

I'm sure there are avenues that you can go down to report the alleged harassment, the garda ombudsman for example.

Yeah I have my own Policy on the Passat.
    The Passat is a family car, which is in my parents name. It's my policy, but the gaurd is saying because the Passat is not in my name I don't have third party cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Codyy117 wrote: »
    The Passat is a family car, which is in my parents name. It's my policy, but the gaurd is saying because the Passat is not in my name I don't have third party cover.

But if the Passat is in your parents' name, you can't insure it as you have no insurable interest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Was the Polo insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 justsaynokids

Codyy117 wrote:
    I have recently had my insurance cancelled by liberty because they have been informed by a gaurd that has been harassing me over the last couple of years that i have penalty points.

Why didn't you declare the penalty points when signing up for your insurance ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If you are covered by DoC then I'm failing to see why liberty would cancel your policy as you can't get a conviction for that.

Something is not adding up.

What reason did they give for cancelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

They have recently contacted me by letter to tell me that they're backdating my insurance to the date I paid for it, meaning that I have basically been driving for the last 6months with no insurance without my own knowledge..

This guard specific gaurds has told me numerous times that he's going to be getting me off the road.
    Now he finally has found a loop whole in my insurance. All this started a few weeks back when he pulled me over in VW Polo that I was covered to drive with my third party policy because I had my own Policy on my parents VW Passat but because the VW Passat was in my parents name he said my third party cover doesn't count but I'm still insured in the Passat. He took the VW Polo off my family even tho my parents had open drive policy to drive the car home he wouldn't allow them to take it & forced us to pay 130€ for the car to stay over night. He then also sent out a 60€ fine because the polo had no insurance disk due to the fact that I didn't have a policy in the VW Polo because my policy covered me to drive it & the VW Polo also was not in my name. After my insurance was cancelled we spent a couple of days trying to get someone to insure me & it eventually cost me 3400€ & my previous policy cost me 2300€ with open drive. I have 3 years name drivers experience & 6 penalty points & now with a cancellation on my licence. This gaurd then pulled me on birthday to ask me why I was driving because he knew that he had my insurance cancelled & then laughed at me when I told him I was able to get insurance.

The gaurd then told me he's taking me to court for driving with no insurance & im looking at 5 penalty points and I'm looking at been put off the road.
    This is extreme unfair to me & not to mention I also have Cystic fibrosis & I really feel like I'm being bullied by this man & im becoming even more depressed about my life & it's bad enough as it is but now I'm looking at loosing one of the only benefits in my life because somebody has taken a dislike to me. Does anyone know what I can do?

Dates Pulled over

7/1/17
    13/1/17
    17/1/17
    12/2/17

All by the same gaurd everytime.

Personally, I think you are worrying about the wrong things. Did you know that failure to disclose the penalty points when seeking insurance can land you in prison for up to 6 months? Likewise, lying about who owns a car carries a similar maximum tariff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Codyy,

Can you clear a few things up please:

A: Who own the passat?
    B: Who is insured in the passat (How many policies?)
    C: Who owns the Polo?
    D: Who is insured in the Polo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

You can't have 2 policies in place over the one car. Either your parents have a policy, or you have a policy, but not both. You can of course be a named driver, but that is not the same, and does not afford you cover to drive other cars with 3rd party fire and theft cover.

Regarding the polo, its completely relevant to ask if this car has its own policy also. "Open Drive" etc allows people to drive other peoples cars, but only on the basis that the car is insured by its owner and that the owner gives permission for it to be driven. Its not a way to share one policy across two cars within a family.

Based on what I've read, I'm not surprised that the guards took issue with your insurance situation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You can't have 2 policies in place over the one car. Either your parents have a policy, or you have a policy, but not both. You can of course be a named driver, but that is not the same, and does not afford you cover to drive other cars with 3rd party fire and theft cover.

Regarding the polo, its completely relevant to ask if this car has its own policy also. "Open Drive" etc allows people to drive other peoples cars, but only on the basis that the car is insured by its owner and that the owner gives permission for it to be driven. Its not a way to share one policy across two cars within a family.

Based on what I've read, I'm not surprised that the guards took issue with your insurance situation.

From what I am taking from the story is.... OP owns the passat but its in mammy and daddy's name. OP then is a named driver on the Policy on the passat. (OP just so you know this is illegal if thats what your doing.) Then OP drove a Polo that has no insurance on it at all and thought he was covered. Now OP is using an illness as a way to sort this mess out? Have i missed something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 justsaynokids

jonnycivic wrote:
    From what I am taking from the story is.... OP owns the passat but its in mammy and daddy's name. OP then is a named driver on the Policy on the passat. (OP just so you know this is illegal if thats what your doing.) Then OP drove a Polo that has no insurance on it at all and thought he was covered. Now OP is using an illness as a way to sort this mess out? Have i missed something?

He's also paranoid that the gard is out to get him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Open drive is where someone over 25 can drive YOUR car on your policy, generally fully comp. Driving of other cars extension is what allows you to drive OTHER peoples cars using your policy. Also there is generally no requirement for the car to be insured at all (One or two companies have introduced this but its extremely uncommon and was doing the rounds as a motoring "myth" for ages)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

rex-x wrote: »
    Open drive is where someone over 25 can drive YOUR car on your policy, generally fully comp. Driving of other cars extension is what allows you to drive OTHER peoples cars using your policy. Also there is generally no requirement for the car to be insured at all (One or two companies have introduced this but its extremely uncommon and was doing the rounds as a motoring "myth" for ages)

Does this mean I can have 2 cars at home. Insure one with my wife and me. Then drive the other myself as I have the driver extension policy. My wife can drive the insured car as a named driver.
    I'll save a fortune thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Does this mean I can have 2 cars at home. Insure one with my wife and me. Then drive the other myself as I have the driver extension policy. My wife can drive the insured car as a named driver.
    I'll save a fortune thanks

Others cars cannot be owned by you or your spouse unfortunately, son yes, uncle, friend etc is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The guard was just doing his job well by the looks of it. There are no loopholes or technicalities here. It's black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Can liberty just backdate his insurance to the point that he was driving for 6months without insurance?

Can you also be prosecuted for this despite you thinking you were insured the whole time and documentation saying as such ?

Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If the number of points would be such that they'd refuse insurance rather than just load it then I'd say they can do that?

The insurance was got on the basis of the information provided, if the details were false then I can see their point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

OP, if the Passat is your parents name then you should not have been insuring it - this is called fronting and is illegal.

Therefore you are not covered on the Passat so when driving the Polo you had no Third Party extensive to avail.

The Garda was well within his rights to take you off the road and Liberty would be well within their rights to cancel the policy, even more so if you deliberately withheld penalty points from them.

Insurers do not cancel for no reason, despite what everyone seems to think.

In relation to the points and the supposed harassment by the Garda, if you keep getting pulled over then you really have only yourself to blame. You can't fault the Garda for doing his job.

I am truly sorry to hear of your health problems, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But illness does not give anyone carte blanche to disregard the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Rikand wrote: »
    Can liberty just backdate his insurance to the point that he was driving for 6months without insurance?

Can you also be prosecuted for this despite you thinking you were insured the whole time and documentation saying as such ?

Just curious.

It doesn't matter what the OP thought, by the sounds of it he deliberately withheld information from his Insurers and mislead them as to the ownership of the vehicle.

They are well within their rights to take disciplinary measures as they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    But if the Passat is in your parents' name, you can't insure it as you have no insurable interest

With TPL policies you don't insure the car - you insure YOURSELF to drive the car. One has the hell of insurable interest.

Unfortunately in Ireland, to the best of my knowledge, no company allows you to privately buy a TPL policy if you don't own a car. Which is a shame and is pushing people into doing things such as fronting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Rikand wrote: »

Just curious.

Technically they are not backdating anything. The policy was never in force.

Advertisement