Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds

Options
  • 14-02-2017 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    My daughter is sitting her Leaving Certificate this year, with 6 subjects

1) Irish (Ord)
    2) English (Honours)
    3) Maths (Ord)
    4) Economics (Ord)
    5) History (Honours)
    6) French (Ord)

Unfortunately, she (due to no fault of her own) missed Sept to now of 6th year and has relocated to Drogheda. Rather than sit on her hands until Sept and start 6th year all over again, she is going to attempt the above in June. I was looking for someone to steer her in terms of a plan between now and then, in addition to getting grinds too of course.

Can anyone recommend please?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

You don't specify what level the subjects are in or what she hopes to get - how many points or what course she wants to do. Does she find English and Irish difficult or easy ?
    Economics & History would not be regarded as easy to obtain points in the same way as for example Geography or Home Economics.

If the intention is that she probably will have to repeat then I would suggest getting good solid result in English and Irish and Maths and French. I don't believe the rules have changed in the last couple of years in that you could have them passed this year and take up two new subjects next year which would be easier to get higher marks in.
    This approach may not suit her.

In any case, with less than four months to go I think the best approach is to do papers papers and more papers in all subjects. Get a good quality grind in each subject to go through the paper with her if needed and she can work away on her own and request grinds when she needs them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

You don't specify what level the subjects are in or what she hopes to get - how many points or what course she wants to do. Does she find English and Irish difficult or easy ?
    Economics & History would not be regarded as easy to obtain points in the same way as for example Geography or Home Economics.

If the intention is that she probably will have to repeat then I would suggest getting good solid result in English and Irish and Maths and French. I don't believe the rules have changed in the last couple of years in that you could have them passed this year and take up two new subjects next year which would be easier to get higher marks in.
    This approach may not suit her.

In any case, with less than four months to go I think the best approach is to do papers papers and more papers in all subjects. Get a good quality grind in each subject to go through the paper with her if needed and she can work away on her own and request grinds when she needs them.

Apologies - she only received confirmation this morning that she could sit. I haven't had a chance to sit down with her and talk about honours/pass. (edit - OP now edited)

She is not focused on college. At this stage, she wants to pass the leaving Certificate - anything over and above that would be a bonus.

I agree and have said that English, Irish and Maths and indeed French are crucial. I believe she cannot pass without them 4.

I have asked her to get the past papers and begin working on them too.

I agree that I need a grind (hence the post) and will be recruiting them to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

http://droghedagrindsacademy.com/

Might be helpful to talk to the grinds academy, my kids have not used them yet but friends have and thought they were good. I see on facebook that they have intensive grinds next week during midterm, not sure of subjects or availability at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bethany1402

everlast75 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    My daughter is sitting her Leaving Certificate this year, with 6 subjects

1) Irish (Ord)
    2) English (Honours)
    3) Maths (Ord)
    4) Economics (Ord)
    5) History (Honours)
    6) French (Ord)

Unfortunately, she (due to no fault of her own) missed Sept to now of 6th year and has relocated to Drogheda. Rather than sit on her hands until Sept and start 6th year all over again, she is going to attempt the above in June. I was looking for someone to steer her in terms of a plan between now and then, in addition to getting grinds too of course.

Can anyone recommend please?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, I'm currently a student in Maynooth University studying Irish and history. I'm fluent in Irish and I'm willing to give grinds. Where abouts are you based?

Advertisement