Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Almost Scammed Last Night

Options
  • 14-02-2017 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

Just putting it up here so others aren't caught.

Was dropping my son to Ashton last night for soccer training. About 18.50, was driving down the Old Blackrock Road (past South Infirmary) when came to a small car (possibly old Fiesta) with 4 occupants, driving quite slowly. Followed it down the hill, past La Rochelle, and came to the lights bringing you on to the Blackrock Road, just before Ashton. Guy was still travelling slowly but as we approached the lights, they went yellow and he speeded-up to go through. I did likewise, having lost some time with his slow driving. It's a right turn there and half-way through, right in the middle of the junction, he slammed on the brakes. I (obviously!) did likewise and stopped right at his bumper, without touching it.

The driver and front-seat passenger (both Romanian men) got out of the car and went to look at the bumper, I did likewise. They spoke to each other for a few seconds, then got back into their car and drove off. I carried on to Ashton and dropped my son off; we laughed about what a close call we had just had.

Only afterwards did it occur to me that I had been (in my opinion) a prospective victim of insurance fraud and that if I had made the slightest touch to their car's bumper I would have been in a world of pain! Am I right or just being paranoid? Opinions invited.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Id say your right. I was an L plate driver and was driving from glandore to leap some years back, keeping a safe distance behind the car in front of me. I thought he was driving a little oddly as he kept slowing and then going to a normal pace. Approaching Leap he paused as if he cut out and then drove as fast as he could in reverse towards me. Thankfully I had time to go into reverse too. After several seconds he went out of reverse and drove as fast as possible away, unfortunately I was too flustered to take the license plate down correctly.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    ..............Guy was still travelling slowly but as we approached the lights, they went yellow and he speeded-up to go through. I did likewise ..................................... I would have been in a world of pain! Am I right or just being paranoid? Opinions invited.

Amber means prepare to stop, not speed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well given it was an amber light and you were accelerating you were asking for it really.

Lucky escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Id say your right. I was an L plate driver and was driving from glandore to leap some years back, keeping a safe distance behind the car in front of me. I thought he was driving a little oddly as he kept slowing and then going to a normal pace. Approaching Leap he paused as if he cut out and then drove as fast as he could in reverse towards me. Thankfully I had time to go into reverse too. After several seconds he went out of reverse and drove as fast as possible away, unfortunately I was too flustered to take the license plate down correctly.

Wow, never heard of that happening before! What a scary thing to experience. Lucky escape for you there. I think we can safely say that you were DEFINITELY a prospective victim of insurance fraud!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You're lucky a) to not get stung and b) to not have crashed from speeding up to get through an amber.
    What if it had been a legitimate reason to stop suddenly, like an eager pedestrian crossing on red at that side of the road or a build up of traffic you couldn't see from your junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Gosh and there I was thinking this thread was about a potential scam rather than the higher ground morality of increasing speed through an amber light :rolleyes:

razorblunt wrote: »
    You're lucky a) to not get stung and b) to not have crashed from speeding up to get through an amber.
    What if it had been a legitimate reason to stop suddenly, like an eager pedestrian crossing on red at that side of the road or a build up of traffic you couldn't see from your junction.

It is a well-lit junction and I could see clearly that there was absolutely no reason for him to slam on the brakes in the middle of the right turn.

If either of the scenarios you posit had occurred, we would have ended in the exact same situation as actually happened: my car stopped 6 inches from his back bumper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Andip wrote: »
    Gosh and there I was thinking this thread was about a potential scam rather than the higher ground morality of increasing speed through an amber light :rolleyes:

Well to be a victim of the "scam" you need to speed up at an amber light when there's a car in front of you that's been slow moving for quite a bit before.

Speeding up at an amber light in those circumstances is asking for trouble.

What you are thinking has SFA to do with it.

The OP asked for opinions, he's getting them.

Yeah, I expected certain members of the high-horse brigade to show up when I mentioned going through the yellow light! Still, I had to include it for an accurate representation of what happened.

• Advertisement

The driver and front-seat passenger (both Romanian men) got out of the car and went to look at the bumper, I did likewise. ................
    ........... my car stopped 6 inches from his back bumper!

Was there any interaction between ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Because the increase in speed through amber is what caused the near miss. That's the only thing we can be sure of because we don't know if it's a scam just on the basis that the occupants could have been Romanian in the eyes of the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

a dash cam would have got the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would love if one of the scumbags driving without insurance would run into one of these scumbag Insurance scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 justsaynokids

Not really a scam though is it? , If you hit him it would have been your fault , no-one made you speed up to catch the light.

Not really a scam though is it? , If you hit him it would have been your fault , no-one made you speed up to catch the light.

yeah but Romanians like

Augeo wrote: »
    Was there any interaction between ye?

I laughed and said words to the effect of "Phew, that was a close one". They said a few words to each other in (what I presume was) Romanian but nothing to me.

.............. Opinions invited.
    Yeah, I expected certain members of the high-horse brigade to show up when I mentioned going through the yellow light! Still, I had to include it for an accurate representation of what happened.

Some cheek. You only want opinions that tell you you are a great lad.

Drive like a tool and accuse folks who point that out to be members of the high-horse brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I would love if one of the scumbags driving without insurance would run into one of these scumbag Insurance scammers.

The problem then is that MIBI often cover the payout and we all end up taking the hit in rising insurance premiums.

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    Because the increase in speed through amber is what caused the near miss. That's the only thing we can be sure of because we don't know if it's a scam just on the basis that the occupants could have been Romanian in the eyes of the OP.

Are you taking the piss or what?? The near miss was caused by the other driver slamming on the brakes for no reason whatsoever.

I said the occupants of the other car were Romanian because they were. If they had been Irish, or any other nationality, I would still consider it an attempted scam.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote:
    yeah but Romanians like

Should I grab my pitchfork ?

yeah... your driving had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Should I grab my pitchfork ?

well I don't know of any other way to deal with this... Do you?

irishgeo wrote:
    a dash cam would have got the reg.

To do what with ? I could imagine the laughing the local gardai would do at this lad.

lawred2 wrote:
    well I don't know of any other way to deal with this... Do you?

Erm, genocide ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Amber means prepare to stop, not speed up.

Yes that's the legal and practical intention...but to many Irish Drivers amber = "Jasus speed up we might make it".:(

byronbay2 wrote:
    Are you taking the piss or what?? The near miss was caused by the other driver slamming on the brakes for no reason whatsoever.

No , if you kept the same speed rather than speeding up you would have had ample time to stop , you caused the near miss.

Some cheek. You only want opinions that tell you you are a great lad.

Drive like a tool and accuse folks who point that out to be members of the high-horse brigade.

You're missing the point, I was looking for opinions on whether this incident was "just one of those things" or a pre-meditated attempt to orchestrate an "accident".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

No , if you kept the same speed rather than speeding up you would have had ample time to stop , you caused the near miss.

They didn't hit each other so it was a miss rather than a near miss.

It would be more of a near hit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

I said the occupants of the other car were Romanian because they were. If they had been Irish, or any other nationality, I would still consider it an attempted scam.

No I'm not taking the piss. How do you know there was no reason? You said you had no interaction with them to ask why and I presume you can't see through their car to what was ahead of them.

They were driving slowly until the orange lights came on, which mean slow and stop I'd safe to so which I presume it was safe because they were going so slow.

If you followed the rules of the road you would have been stopped at the red and there would have been no slamming of breaks.

So the guys who showed you there passports as they stepped out of their car are not 100% to blame.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement