Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Almost Scammed Last Night

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 justsaynokids

Caliden wrote:
    They didn't hit each other so it was a miss rather than a near miss.

Caliden wrote:
    It would be more of a near hit

Yes you do have a point but he was still in the wrong , come on my pitchfork hand is getting restless.

byronbay2 wrote:
    You're missing the point, I was looking for opinions on whether this incident was "just one of those things" or a pre-meditated attempt to orchestrate an "accident".

Probably was pre-meditated yes, you are still in the wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Call the Manon Vigilante, he'll sort them out lol.

This could very well have been a premeditated "accident". Very hard to prove it tho.

You need to remember tho that you should be a far enough distance back from the car in front to stop suddenly, in this instance you were so no harm done.
    Most Irish drivers tailgate tho which is what these scammers are relying on.
    Look at it this way,
    If you'd have had a dashcam on board and you HAD gone into the back of them, the camera would have shown the light going amber, you speeding up and crashing into the back of a car who had to stop suddenly. You would be completely in the wrong. The driver in front would have said they thought a dog/child/adult entered their path and they had to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How is pointing out that the OP was actually the second car to drive through the same "prepare to stop" light getting on a high horse?

Seems rather pertinent to me, it's a strange scam that relies upon the other driver doing something illegal, I'm sure they could have engineered a better scenario than one that relies on the mark also ignoring the rules of the road. Most people would of course have stopped on the yellow making the scam very unlikely to succeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

OP, it's possible/probable that it was a scam. If you had hit him, then you would have been liable as you weren't keeping enough of a distance to stop in time. The driver of the other car can claim he saw something on the road, or that there was a child who stepped out in front of him etc. etc. It's also possible that this happens genuinely.

You can do three things. Firstly, get a dashcam (I seriously recommend them), there's a big thread on it in the motors forum for advice.
    Secondly, keep your distance (as you did) and be prepared (as you were).
    Thirdly, don't mess around with amber lights, it can be dangerous ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Augeo wrote: »
    Amber means prepare to stop, not speed up.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    Well given it was an amber light and you were accelerating you were asking for it really.

Lucky escape.

Oh the boards moral brigade!!!

There is not enough :rolleyes: in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

gimmick wrote: »
    Oh the boards moral brigade!!!

There is not enough :rolleyes: in the world

You can do the roll eyes all you want. Fact is, that if there had been an accident she would have been 100% responsible, scam or no scam. Any insurance company or court in the country would agree as well. No proper solicitor would back her in a court against her insurance company either.

No damage done this time, just try to learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

In all fairness everyone the OP was trying to make people aware that this scam may be operating in the area,Nice thing to know if that is the case and we should always be vigilant wherever and whenever driving but i really think the tone of some reply's here is unfairly critical.
    I have no doubts the OP will be more aware in future,and more cautious on amber lights,Point made and as he stated he was able to complete a emergency stop without making contact with the car ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Andip wrote: »
    Gosh and there I was thinking this thread was about a potential scam rather than the higher ground morality of increasing speed through an amber light :rolleyes:

Increasing speed through an amber light directly influenced the outcome in this case. Nobody should be labelled "high horse brigade" or whatever, for pointing that out. It's also pointless harping on like "justsaynokids" (who obviously never broke a road law in his/her life)

It could be a scam OP, it also could be a lost and incompetent driver, however, I suspect the latter to be untrue. Sounds something similar to this (apologies for the trashy link).

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/moment-crash-cash-fraudsters-caught-6214414

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Just before 7 last night me and 3 lads were heading to tag rugby training on the old Blackrock road. Just as we turned right a lunatic came up behind us after speeding up to run a red light…he almost hit the back of my car – It was a lucky escape to be honest. It was a really scary experience. He got out of the car and looked us up and down before driving off. He looked like he was Irish(Red hair and holding bag of potatoes)

Should I report him to the Guards for dangerous driving?

Bogdan, who was looking out the back window at the time, got the biggest fright of all of us and couldn't sleep last night. He had to call in sick to work this morning as well and is thinking of heading to see his solicitor.

People really need to be more careful

Dumitru

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

it's popular scam. All four passengers would complain about neck injuries aswell.

Increasing speed through an amber light directly influenced the outcome in this case. Nobody should be labelled "high horse brigade" or whatever, for pointing that out. It's also pointless harping on like "justsaynokids" (who obviously never broke a road law in his/her life)

I'll have you know I haven't broken any road laws in my life , and I am a man just for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Maybe if OP had crashed into the back of them, then all of you could sit quite justified on your high horses. As it is, they had the time and space to stop, and didn't get caught in the trap that had been setup for them.

OP - perhaps you'll think twice before you report attempted scams in the future. The righteous boards.ie crowd will always find the loophole to blame you for whatever happened, or in this case didn't happen.

Umaro wrote:
    OP - perhaps you'll think twice before you report attempted scams in the future. The righteous boards.ie crowd will always find the loophole to blame you for whatever happened, or in this case didn't happen.

But it was his fault ? So the blame is being allocated appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nothing happened though so no fault to apportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ah lads, this is becoming ridiculous, the thread has more judgmental comments about this flipping amber light than it has about the actual point the OP was making.

OP posted in Cork forum to warn of a possible scam in the area otherwise he'd have posted in the motors forum.

Irrespective of what speed either car was doing, he left enough room to stop (albeit by the skin of his teeth), but stopped he did.

Boards.ie charter requires that comments 'stay on thread', I think this has drifted right off & I bet the OP wishes he'd have said nothing at this stage. Comments like these will dissuade people from posting similar warnings and that will only lead to some other poor sucker getting injury claims against them.

Give the guy a break please

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There's no moral high horse to be perfectly honest, there was an increase in speed to get through the amber light, that's just the fact of the matter.

At least the OP was paying enough attention to stop the car short.

It's clearly a ploy that preys on the fact the amber light is often diced with. Driving in Cork is gone to pot anyway that even a red light is often ignored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I'll have you know I haven't broken any road laws in my life , and I am a man just for clarification.

Either you don't drive or you are lying.

So you keep on repeating, what's your point exactly? That the OP was in the wrong? We get it, you said it multiple times already. Have you anything else to add?

Boards.ie charter requires that comments 'stay on thread', I think this has drifted right off & I bet the OP wishes he'd have said nothing at this stage. Comments like these will dissuade people from posting similar warnings and that will only lead to some other poor sucker getting injury claims against them.

Give the guy a break please

~I'm sure the charter has a piece about back seat modding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

stay on topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

One thing, how do you know they were speaking Romanian? I've a reasonable ear for languages and i couldn't discern between a lot of eastern European ones.

Have you worked with one before or something?

Either you don't drive or you are lying.
    Yes because I want to impress strangers on the internet. Just because you can't drive within the law doesn't mean Im the same

So you keep on repeating, what's your point exactly? That the OP was in the wrong? We get it, you said it multiple times already. Have you anything else to add?

Yes , people shouldn't drive if they don't know the rules of the road , that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

OP glad to hear you avoided being scammed by theses.

Cheers for the heads up. I for one havent heard of this scam before so I'll be extra careful around suspicious looking driving behaviour like you had mentioned.

Can you maybe change the title to almost caused an accident last night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

byronbay2 wrote: »
    The driver and front-seat passenger (both Romanian men) got out of the car and went to look at the bumper, I did likewise.

Are you sure they were Romanian? Did they show you their passports?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

barrier86 wrote: »
    OP glad to hear you avoided being scammed by theses.

Cheers for the heads up. I for one havent heard of this scam before so I'll be extra careful around suspicious looking driving behaviour like you had mentioned.

My sentiments exactly.
    I'll also make sure there's plenty of room between me and the car in front if I'm trying to make it through that amber light :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Gosh and there I was thinking this thread was about a potential scam rather than the higher ground morality of increasing speed through an amber light :rolleyes:

The scam is completely useless if not for bad driving habits.

I have exactly the same bad habits but it doesn't change the fact that there are people out there taking advantage of them, you can protect yourself by being a better driver and getting a dash cam. I went for option 2 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ok, that was a short lived thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement