Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing toll barriers

• 14-02-2017 1:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭

Ok so almost every day I have to waste time at that stupid barrier and hold everyone up for the pathetic 70c toll. I have seen that I would fit through the middle of the lorry barrier as they have a gap large enough for me to fit. Now I have seen cameras from both sides looking at the number plates so was wondering what was the fine for passing without paying and if anyone has done it. I have a 2inch plate if that helps. I have seen some people saying they get away with it but they have loose tax disc for me putting a loose tax disc with a small plate is probably just asking for trouble. Do they even bother chasing you up for 70c?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Johnboner wrote: »
    Ok so almost every day I have to waste time at that stupid barrier and hold everyone up for the pathetic 70c toll. I have seen that I would fit through the middle of the lorry barrier as they have a gap large enough for me to fit. Now I have seen cameras from both sides looking at the number plates so was wondering what was the fine for passing without paying and if anyone has done it. I have a 2inch plate if that helps. I have seen some people saying they get away with it but they have loose tax disc for me putting a loose tax disc with a small plate is probably just asking for trouble. Do they even bother chasing you up for 70c?

I've done it with plate in full view. Haven't been chased up yet. I will say it's after midnight and there is no person on the tolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭ratracer

If you use it everyday, why not just get a toll tag? No need to stop or fish for change anymore....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

ratracer wrote: »
    If you use it everyday, why not just get a toll tag? No need to stop or fish for change anymore....

+1

as you say..its only a pathetic 70c.....:)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That would be theft then, I believe.

Of 70c.

Proud day for you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

That 70 cent turns into Hundreds of euros pretty dam quickly when it comes to their fines so not worth the hassle of not paying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MarkR wrote: »
    That would be theft then, I believe.

Of 70c.

Proud day for you.

Have you ever been tempted to jump the barrier on your high horse?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Get a toll tag. It's easy and its only €0.70 as you say. Go look on the motors forum and see the people who are getting strung up in court for not paying their tolls. Easier to do it right and get a tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Popcorn at the ready here for this thread.:pac::D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Unwritten rule in this thread op you won't see motorcyclists responding.

Read between those lines rather than those who are not motorcyclists.....

You cheap ass.:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Neigh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

ratracer wrote: »

That's what I thought too but this is what I got from etoll.ie

''Tag providers don't supply tags for use by motorcyclists at toll plaza express lanes. Toll plaza operators have also advised that the express lanes are not designed for use by motorcycles. Due to this potential safety hazard, we do not recommend using a Toll Tag with a motorcycle.''

Last thing I want is be sitting there like an idiot waiting for the barrier to open and waste my time and money for no reason.

That's what I thought too but this is what I got from etoll.ie

''Tag providers don't supply tags for use by motorcyclists at toll plaza express lanes. Toll plaza operators have also advised that the express lanes are not designed for use by motorcycles. Due to this potential safety hazard, we do not recommend using a Toll Tag with a motorcycle.''

Last thing I want is be sitting there like an idiot waiting for the barrier to open and waste my time and money for no reason.

Put a 50 cent and 20 cent coin in your glove,zip up to toll plasa past other cars and trucks,whip off glove,drop in money to cashier,whip back on your glove and you are away at warp factor 5.

Its very simple really.

Oh and thats an answer from a biker who uses tolls quite alot too. too.:P

Put a 50 cent and 20 cent coin in your glove,zip up to toll plasa past other cars and trucks,whip off glove,drop in money to cashier,whip back on your glove and you are away at warp factor 5.

Its very simple really.

That is what I am currently doing however I still find it annoying as I have to stop, I always get the 70c ready before the journey but it's the fact that I have to stop at all, I could just easily fly past the barrier through the middle but the last thing I want is cops at my house for 70c, just wondering if anyone is doing it regularly, maybe I should wait until my plate gets more dirty then do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Most people have to stop. Why should you not just because you're on two wheels? And paying less than half the price too.

Because I am not polluting the environment, nowhere near as much and I don't damage the road, I also reduce congestions which increases the economy as traffic jams cost huge amount of money every year. I also annoy drivers behind me as I take longer than a regular car would.

Not polluting as much, but you still are. So if that's your reasoning then that's why the price is much less but not free.

Cars contribute much more than half. For example a bike with a rider is roughly 300kg while a car is 1000-2000kg that is much more than half and results in more erosion of the road. Cars pay 1.40 bikes 70c so it is unfair.

• Advertisement

Yeah but still it has to be something, even if it were made proportionate. You don't want to stop and pay at all, even if it were 1c.

Yes but then why m50 is free if it has to be something? And I wouldn't mind so much if it was 1c as all these 70c every day add up at the end of the year.

I'm not sure, maybe it's because it's state controlled or something (though I'm not sure if it is still). I don't want to pay either but I have to. I don't think I should pay for a lot of things, or not pay as much at least, but I have to. That's life.

True, but if everyone was happy with the current situation regarding thing such as gay marriage then there would have never been change. Same with tolls if all motorcyclists protested somehow then maybe we would have change but since there are so few bikers in this country I doubt it would gain much momentum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

True, but if everyone was happy with the current situation regarding thing such as gay marriage then there would have never been change. Same with tolls if all motorcyclists protested somehow then maybe we would have change but since there are so few bikers in this country I doubt it would gain much momentum.

Theres has been negotiations with the depts, rsa etc. Did no good. As above its like you just don't want to pay

From a 70c toll to gay marriage. ....am I fcuking reading this right....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭ratracer

The toll tag works on a motorbike, and in the express lane, despite what they tell you.

If you're really that disgruntled with the charge..get your 70c in copper coins..put them in a little plastic bag (or johnny) and sit and wait till they count every last coin...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

I dropped €2 in the basket the other day on the n4. F*ckin barrier wouldn't open. Had to push it over my head and drive through...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Oooh, touchy :P :pac:

Hey OP, I was in a similar situation recently too, Ok so almost every day I have to waste time at that stupid checkout and hold everyone up to pay a pathetic €1.99 for my chicken roll. I have seen that one of the checkouts didn't have the barrier closed so I just walked right out of the shop. Now I have seen cameras from both sides looking at my face so was wondering what was the fine for leaving the shop without paying and if anyone has done it. I have a 21 inch face if that helps. I have seen some people saying they get away with it but they have a scarf covering their face, for me putting scarf on my face is probably just asking for trouble. Do they even bother chasing you up for €1.99?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement