Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing toll barriers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Oooh, touchy :P :pac:

Hey OP, I was in a similar situation recently too, Ok so almost every day I have to waste time at that stupid checkout and hold everyone up to pay a pathetic €1.99 for my chicken roll. I have seen that one of the checkouts didn't have the barrier closed so I just walked right out of the shop. Now I have seen cameras from both sides looking at my face so was wondering what was the fine for leaving the shop without paying and if anyone has done it. I have a 21 inch face if that helps. I have seen some people saying they get away with it but they have a scarf covering their face, for me putting scarf on my face is probably just asking for trouble. Do they even bother chasing you up for €1.99?

*ERU kicks down Lamxaviers door*
    ''Sir, please come with us, you have been spotted committing heinous crimes of which the punishment usually is death, may God have mercy on your soul.
    *Lamxavier tazed, pepper sprayed, shot with a shotgun using rubber bullets then thrown to the ground face first, handcuffed and brought to the Supreme Court.
    Judge asks
    Mr Lamxavier what say you in your defence for such unacceptable crimes?
    Lamxavier: I didn't do it
    Judge: Silence!!! I will not take any lies from you, off to the gas chamber, may God have mercy on your soul, hope you burn in hell for your crimes.
    *Garda bring Lamxavier out of the court room and put him in the gas chamber where he suffocates from gas''
    Justice has been served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can buy toll cards from most toll plazas which give you 10% of journeys. They only work on one specific toll and tend not to be advertised. I'd either go for that or each day stop, select neutral, take off gloves, take wallet from backpack, pay with card / notes / coins, ask for receipt, put wallet in backpack, put on gloves and move away...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Johnboner wrote: »
    *ERU kicks down Lamxaviers door*
    ''Sir, please come with us, you have been spotted committing heinous crimes of which the punishment usually is death, may God have mercy on your soul.
    *Lamxavier tazed, pepper sprayed, shot with a shotgun using rubber bullets then thrown to the ground face first, handcuffed and brought to the Supreme Court.
    Judge asks
    Mr Lamxavier what say you in your defence for such unacceptable crimes?
    Lamxavier: I didn't do it
    Judge: Silence!!! I will not take any lies from you, off to the gas chamber, may God have mercy on your soul, hope you burn in hell for your crimes.
    *Garda bring Lamxavier out of the court room and put him in the gas chamber where he suffocates from gas''
    Justice has been served.

It would be thrown out of court for the spelling mistake alone will ya stop :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

That is what I am currently doing however I still find it annoying as I have to stop, I always get the 70c ready before the journey but it's the fact that I have to stop at all, I could just easily fly past the barrier through the middle but the last thing I want is cops at my house for 70c, just wondering if anyone is doing it regularly, maybe I should wait until my plate gets more dirty then do it.

Jesus wept.

Its 70 cents.You are on a motorbike,stop complaining.:pac:

From a 70c toll to gay marriage. ....am I fcuking reading this right....:rolleyes:

Can you just imagine the next thread???:pac::pac::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I blow the barrier away with my lever action shotgun, terminator 2 style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

use an alternative road ... cheaper and you won't be forced to stop with all the other plebs ... all problems solved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

True, but if everyone was happy with the current situation regarding thing such as gay marriage then there would have never been change. Same with tolls if all motorcyclists protested somehow then maybe we would have change but since there are so few bikers in this country I doubt it would gain much momentum.

The way to "protest" about the toll on a bike is to increase the time it takes not decrease it. Only have a €50 note, stop at the barrier and get off bike, remove gloves and get wallet out, give 50 to cashier and place change in wallet, put wallet back in pocket, replace gloves and go.

Wossack wrote: »
    I blow the barrier away with my lever action shotgun, terminator 2 style

Del2005 wrote: »
    The way to "protest" about the toll on a bike is to increase the time it takes not decrease it. Only have a €50 note, stop at the barrier and get off bike, remove gloves and get wallet out, give 50 to cashier and place change in wallet, put wallet back in pocket, replace gloves and go.

But that will be too much time and effort for the OP though,No???:pac::pac:

For me thats no biggie,take my time,chill out,hand over the money,and if a car or truck behind beeps at me,then I take even more time to put the glove back on and engage 1st gear.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

the surprise at the beep often makes me drop my gloves :(

the surprise at the beep often makes me drop my gloves :(

Its terrible shocking allright.
    The sudden beep from behind makes you drop a glove,then you have to put the bike on the side stand,get off the bike,bend down to pick up the glove,slowly and gently put it back on and then gently ease yourself back onto the bike and very slowly engage 1st gear and pull away.

And all because that "beep" startled you......:pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

70c twice a day (return trip) for a year is over 500 euro.

If you use the road, you should pay the toll like everyone else.

If you don't agree with the toll, you should protest (not just decide on your own not to pay).

If you don't want to stop, get a tag and use the express lane as suggested above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

the surprise at the beep often makes me drop my pants :(

Corrected that there for ya mate...youre welcome..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I used commute over the M50 when it had toll booths. Pain in the ass especially on cold mornings fumbling for change with numb fingers. It was too easy to drop the coins. At the same time I had a mountain of coppers and 10c coins that I would never get around to bagging and changing so I used count out the toll fare in shrapnel and roll it in an old receipt. Much easier to handle, I could even take it out of my pocket with my glove still on while the bike rolled up to the toll booth. After a few weeks the toll people got to know me and just raised the barrier as I handed over the roll. 
    Once the mountain of shrapnel was gone the novelty wore off having to roll coins in a receipt every evening but then they brought in the tags. I used put it in my pocket and pull it out as I got to the barrier. Bit tricky on a wet day but timing it right I wouldn't have to put my foot down. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Which toll road is it exactly? If you had to take an alternative route how much longer would it take you? Time, additional petrol and cost of free time lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

john boner you must be the most controversial motorcyclist in ireland

nearly all your previous threads are asking for hassle
    "Do people get away with tiny number plates?"

"Speed vans"
    'I was under the impression that bikes don't get caught by speed vans as there is no way for them to get the number plate but then I have seen someone posted that they got done by a speed van, can anyone confirm this?'

"What makes Ireland the most dangerous country in Europe"
    'Why Ireland specifically is at the top?'

"Why motorcycles are unpopular in western countries"

"Passing toll barriers"
    'Ok so almost every day I have to waste time at that stupid barrier and hold everyone up for the pathetic 70c toll. I have seen that I would fit through the middle of the lorry barrier as they have a gap large enough for me to fit. Now I have seen cameras from both sides looking at the number plates'

are you a wind up merchant or what? this is a quiet little section of boards usually, now I'm seeing people being baited in to argue

are you a wind up merchant or what? this is a quiet little section of boards usually, now I'm seeing people being baited in to argue

Hes probably a BMW rider?

All of us BMW riders are absolute......:pac::D:P

Seems to be a guy who has issues with the world.....I thought the same as you, likes to light the touchpaper and run...:)

whippet wrote: »
    use an alternative road ... cheaper and you won't be forced to stop with all the other plebs ... all problems solved

The only alternative route is filled with tractors dropping cow ****e on the road from their trailers, so it would only be a matter of time before I would slip on it and fall down.

• Advertisement

70c twice a day (return trip) for a year is over 500 euro.

If you use the road, you should pay the toll like everyone else.

If you don't agree with the toll, you should protest (not just decide on your own not to pay).

If you don't want to stop, get a tag and use the express lane as suggested above.

Etoll says tags are not suitable for motorbikes

Zascar wrote: »
    Which toll road is it exactly? If you had to take an alternative route how much longer would it take you? Time, additional petrol and cost of free time lost?

Would take approximately 10 min longer, but the road is unsafe due to spills and cow **** from the tractors and in rainy or dark days I wouldn't be able to see it one time and go down, not seeing it once is all it takes.

Etoll says tags are not suitable for motorbikes

And youre not worried about your 2inch number plate......:confused:
    Would take approximately 10 min longer, but the road is unsafe due to spills and cow **** from the tractors and in rainy or dark days I wouldn't be able to see it one time and go down, not seeing it once is all it takes.

70c seems like a bargain then.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

70c is a bargain .. suck it up!

You have your 3 options:
    1: Don't use the toll road - you said you don't want to risk it at night because of the road condition. So that's out.

2: Don't leave house.

3: Or just get over it pay the feckin 70c. Fumble with the change and pay the few cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

He is probably French!

They get wound up over the direction "le wind is blowing"

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

What is so different about you holding up traffic because of that "stupid barrier" and a car "holding up traffic"? You use the roads, you pay the toll. Why should you get special treatment because you are on a bike?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    He is probably French!

They get wound up over the direction "le wind is blowing"

out of le arse.:pac:

My question is.......................

How the hell has this thread got to 4 pages???:pac::pac:

4 pages all over a mere 70 cents,and then moaning on about B roads and cow sh!te and this and that,when people give him alternatives.

Really?????

Maybe the OP should give up biking and stick to public transport or else walk to work.

Because someone really needs to stop complaining,looking for excuses and to go get a life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Drive around the barrier, problem solved.

• Advertisement

My question is.......................

How the hell has this thread got to 4 pages???:pac::pac:

4 pages all over a mere 70 cents,and then moaning on about B roads and cow sh!te and this and that,when people give him alternatives.

Really?????

Maybe the OP should give up biking and stick to public transport or else walk to work.

Because someone really needs to stop complaining,looking for excuses and to go get a life.

Ummm what???? Give up bikes so I can sit in traffic like an idiot for hours??? No thanks, maybe you should give up biking because your comment makes absolutely no sense... Give up bikes and then sit in traffic with other car for hours okay dude...
    And I have a life which involves work and studying.
    Tell me how someone exists without life?
    Every single being has life so again your comment makes no sense.
    Please look up definition of life then get back to me or at least make a comment that makes sense because telling me to give up motorbikes just because of the toll is absolutely insane, you do realize that it takes longer and is more expensive with a car, bus or walk??? Please tell me how would giving up motorcycles would solve any of my problems that I have said.
    And sorry Stephen not everyone is as rich as you and can afford to own 10 highest end bikes in the world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement