Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's talk about socks (aka socks education)

Options
  • 14-02-2017 1:26pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now, I know there are "rules" about socks, but of those I don't care. I'm just wondering what socks people use for the coldest of cold days.

I've had my planet X merino socks, shoes and overshoes on for my longer cycles the last few weeks and have had feet that felt like ice blocks after 2 hours whereas the rest of my body was grand

I'm figuring I need some properly good thick, thermal socks but I equally don't want soaking in sweat socks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Two layers of medium thick socks should do the trick but only if there is adequate room in your shoe not to compromise the circulation. It should feel slightly loose! Then neoprene / roubaix overshoes will additionally help in keeping your feet warm, but again - make sure they are not tight at the ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Get a pair of hiking socks with 60-80% wool content. Most of those outdoor type shops have them and they won't be seen if wearing overshoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

No need, A small square of tin foil wrapped over your sock to cover the toes top an bottom works a treat. No more cold feet again....

Its the toes that lose all the heat first, insulate them and your on a winner. Best tip I ever learned.

Only downside is the removal of parts of tin foil before throwing the socks in the wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Sealskin socks work for me. There not 100% waterproof, but provide enough wind resistance (when wearing overshoes) that your toes don't get too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I've a thick pair of DHB merino socks coupled with a pair of BBB aqua something overshoes which work perfectly

The odd occasion I've forgotten the overshoes when the temp is in low single or minus territory and the toes felt it. Descending from the featherbeds was no fun at all that day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Aldi Sealskin knock offs with neoprene overshoes for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Aldi Sealskin knock offs with neoprene overshoes for me.

I have them. But I had thin socks underneath so maybe not enough breathability or too much tightness as mentioned above. Might try some different overshoes. The ones I have are good for rain, but maybe something for the cold too.

I'll try the tinfoil thing too. Cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Lidl or Aldi socks and spin an easy gear always works for me. Never suffer from cold feet. Try that or HTFU. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Woolie Boolies are your only man!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Galibier's 'Fire Feet' socks are great for keeping the aul toes toasty. Last Sunday I had them, toe warmers and overshoes on and my feet were warm the whole spin through wind, rain and hail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bought some sealskinz socks a few years back on sale on Wiggle, which even then were expensive. After the first wash they would have been a tight fit for action man. These days I find two pairs of thin socks and decent neoprene overshoes work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Lidl or Aldi socks and spin an easy gear always works for me. Never suffer from cold feet. Try that or HTFU. :rolleyes:

See rule 5

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Sports socks! The ones you get in Pennys.

Way better than a lot of "winter" cycling socks that cost a small fortune. for proper "sever" cold weather put on a set of those ickle "Summer Trainer" socks first.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Merino socks and neoprene overshoes for me. Fugly though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sox & Drugs & Rock & Roll

Barring that it's got to be Assos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Miklos wrote: »
    Galibier's 'Fire Feet' socks are great for keeping the aul toes toasty. Last Sunday I had them, toe warmers and overshoes on and my feet were warm the whole spin through wind, rain and hail.
    Got a couple of the fire feet socks. Wasnt overly impressed. Not a patch on their Noir socks I got a few years back.

On really wet cold days ...3mm neoprene surfer booties. Get wet but stay warm.

Another advoctate of putting strong tin foil over the socks.
    From someone who has cold feet most of the year it works a treat ( except when you take your shoes off and the foil comes out in pieces....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Still awaiting further stories of Havoc's experiences with clingfilm......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Galibier fire feet!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I wear DHB thermolite socks (cheap, come in a pack), over socks and old but brilliant BBB heavyweight over shoes (neoprene ones).

Life is too short to pair socks.
    Odd socks ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

If it's really cold, I put my socks, shoes and overshoes on the radiator before I head out. Hot feet to begin, but they cool down during the ride and rarely get cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 kellyoncobbles

Endura Baa Baa merino socks are very good. Deffo +1 on the tinfoil because I've used it many times. I think I might have picked up the tip from Matt Stephens on GCN. Toasty every time.
    Castelli Toe Thingy's are a third tip also if it's just chilly but not wet out. You avoid the sweaty ankle feeling of a full neoprene bootie but keep your toes warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Anything below 5C and I'll have 2 pairs of socks on. 1 thin pair as the base set plus a thicker set (think sports socks) over them. I'll also have a pair of Sealskinz Neoprene overshoes for any weather under 10C in addition to wearing them anytime there's rain... so most of the year in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I was out for 4 hours on Saturday and had one pair of merino socks, one pair of thermal shoe covers and one pair of waterproof shoe covers and my toes were lovely and warm for the whole ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I suffer badly with cold, numb toes at the best of times. However, since I got these, I've had toasty toes, even at below-zero temps.

northwave-celsius-2-gtx_25314.jpg

Ok, they are not socks and are an expensive option, but if warm & dry are your top priority, then look no further. Although there is an SPD-SL version, I opted for SPD so I can use them on either bike and just swapped out the pedals on the road bike for the rest of the 'winter' (ie probably until June! :rolleyes:).

Also loving not having to faff around with overshoes........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cheers all. Some good suggestions. I've considered that type of shoe too Rogue-Trooper, but only use Keos as me and SPDs never got along. I'll keep an eye out on some however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Weepsie wrote: »
    Cheers all. Some good suggestions. I've considered that type of shoe too Rogue-Trooper, but only use Keos as me and SPDs never got along. I'll keep an eye out on some however

If you hanker after an extra hole, they have those too......

Northwave-Fahrenheit-GTX-Winter-Road-Shoes-Road-Shoes-Black-AW15-NWF-80154023-10-37.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

https://www.rosebikes.com/article/northwave-fahrenheit-2-gtx-road-shoes/aid:2672294

I don't suffer from cold on bike, bought these 2 years ago to avoid messing with overshoes.

Really well made shoe, only weaknesse being ingress over the top in torrential rain. A front mudguard flap and some effort at sealing top and they can handle any weather.

If you like hardship take up sea swimming or some other acute cold stress and you can dispense with most winter specific equipment

Advertisement