Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post RAS 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ah lovely...itll be going past my parents front door on the thursday...may need to take a few days off also!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Jeeze talk about ignoring Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

bazermc wrote: »

Four days in 2016 wasn't enough? Along with 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008...

It hasn't been to Donegal since 2012 afaics, think it's good to give the north of the country a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Out of interest when was the last time the Ras went over the Wicklow hills?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

P_1 wrote: »
    Out of interest when was the last time the Ras went over the Wicklow hills?

Went over the Wicklow Gap in 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Jaysus..... Shur that's nowhere near the Southeast !!!!
    We were spoiled for the last few years ...... :/

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Stage 3 starts from Grainne Uaile's in Newport. They do some lovely food, and I once met Barry Murphy from Apres Match there. What a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

buffalo wrote: »
    Four days in 2016 wasn't enough? Along with 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008...

It hasn't been to Donegal since 2012 afaics, think it's good to give the north of the country a chance.
    There were actualy 5 stage ends in Munster in 2016.Charleville,Dingle,Sneem,Clonakilty,and Dungarvan.Its impossible to fit in everywhere in 8 days.When the decision is made to include Donegal it nearly has to exclude Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Anyone know when was the last time the RAS visited the Slieve Blooms, there's the makings of a fantastic stage over the Glendine, Wolftrap and the Cut. I had a quick look on the RAS site and it doesn't seem to have been in that neck of the woods since at least 2005.

nilhg wrote: »
    Anyone know when was the last time the RAS visited the Slieve Blooms, there's the makings of a fantastic stage over the Glendine, Wolftrap and the Cut. I had a quick look on the RAS site and it doesn't seem to have been in that neck of the woods since at least 2005.
    2007 on stage 1 to Templemore took in a lot of that countryside from memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

wav1 wrote: »
    2007 on stage 1 to Templemore took in a lot of that countryside from memory.

How did I miss that, cheers, only took in the easiest climb in the whole Blooms though.

If any of the RAS organisers read this there's a lovely new surface on both sides of the Glendine, it'd be a great place to see the RAS go by, maybe in 2018?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Good route and will be a tough Race/Ras (for a change ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

When was the last time the Ras crossed the Border?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

When was the last time the Ras crossed the Border?

2007 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Might be the last time they get to do that too. Hard to get a bunch stopped to all show their passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

bazermc wrote: »

Parish pump cycling. ?
    :D

Going from 9 to 8 days made it hard for a route for all provinces every year! The TDF also ignores part of France year to year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'll be getting myself to The Gap of Mamore on the 24th. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anyone know which side of Mamore? It hard to make it out from the maps/details. Hopefully it's the gruesome southbound side!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

You'll probably cycle up that morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭glassdoc

It is indeed southbound from Urris over Mamore to Buncrana :eek:
    With the 2 following stages going around the tough, rolling & hilly coast of Donegal it's going to make for great viewing and hard racing.

Ye Munster lads are more than welcome up to sample the hospitality here :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Yep, Mamore will be packed i guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Looks like I'll go home and spectate for large chunks of this. Passes almost by my family front door. Awesome. Can we see it stage by stage yet on a map?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Looks like I'll go home and spectate for large chunks of this. Passes almost by my family front door. Awesome. Can we see it stage by stage yet on a map?

They have it stage by stage on the website. Unfortunately they don't use very detailed maps whatsoever as yet, even though they are sponsored by OSI.

Weepsie wrote: »
    They have it stage by stage on the website. Unfortunately they don't use very detailed maps whatsoever as yet, even though they are sponsored by OSI.

Thanks, was on phone earlier and didn't see it properly. Yes!!! They'll be racing one of my favourite roads and going almost past the house on Stage 5. For anyone making plans to get a good view etc, An Chuirt hotel will be an awesome spot, though they might be going a bit fast. Otherwise the hill out of Loch an Iúir.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭glassdoc

Thanks, was on phone earlier and didn't see it properly. Yes!!! They'll be racing one of my favourite roads and going almost past the house on Stage 5. For anyone making plans to get a good view etc, An Chuirt hotel will be an awesome spot, though they might be going a bit fast. Otherwise the hill out of Loch an Iúir.

It won't be going through Loch an Iuir, leaves the N56 at Crolly going through Annagry. Best spot might be there then skip back to Dungloe for the stage finish.

Ah ok. That bit after Crolly is rolling enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ah ok. That bit after Crolly is rolling enough?

Too right.
    The short ramp out of kincasslagh is a right donkeypuncher, would be a good spot as well

Did Gortahork to Gaoth Dobhair as part of spin today. Windy as hell. But it always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Look like the name could be changed to the (Your Name Here) Ras

Not surprising but not good news.

• Advertisement

ezra_ wrote: »
    Look like the name could be changed to the (Your Name Here) Ras

Not surprising but not good news.
    How do you work that one out?They have stopped sponsoring the sportives but still have a huge commitment to the sport through the team,the ras,and ras na mban.

Advertisement