Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post RAS 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Great to see a local boy in yellow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

So, my old man is out on the route now, waiting for them to pass. Keen photographer, but almost reluctantly headed out. Didn't bother coming to watch when I was doing the three day up there a few weekends ago, y'know. Rang him there to keep him abreast of the situation re the arrival of leaders, etc. Cavalcade was passing through when I rang and he started getting more and more excited about it. I think he'll be happy to have gone out to experience it, especialy on a day like this.

Basically, I'm trying to say that An R?s really is a good thing for everyone and I hope An Post leaving sponsorship doesn't effect it too negatively.

Also, I wish I was at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So, my old man is out on the route now, waiting for them to pass. Keen photographer, but almost reluctantly headed out. Didn't bother coming to watch when I was doing the three day up there a few weekends ago, y'know. Rang him there to keep him abreast of the situation re the arrival of leaders, etc. Cavalcade was passing through when I rang and he started getting more and more excited about it. I think he'll be happy to have gone out to experience it, especialy on a day like this.

Basically, I'm trying to say that An R?s really is a good thing for everyone and I hope An Post leaving sponsorship doesn't effect it too negatively.

Also, I wish I was at home.

Any brand with a National footprint could do very well out of an association with the Ras, An Post certainly gets a fair bit out of it, but like many postal services worldwide they are struggling. Hopefully someone steps up to the plate. With cycling on such a big up these days you'd hope finding a new Sponsor isn't too tough....The Eurospar Ras?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Spar being Dutch in origin, and the Dutch liking cycling, it makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Potential race winning move gone away today, 4 min gap and growing, James Gullen (Britain JLT Condor) - 6th at 0 secs, is the real danger man in the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Inquitus wrote: »
    Any brand with a National footprint could do very well out of an association with the Ras

The Shaws Almost Nationwide Rás?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Inquitus wrote: »
    Any brand with a National footprint could do very well out of an association with the Ras, An Post certainly gets a fair bit out of it, but like many postal services worldwide they are struggling. Hopefully someone steps up to the plate. With cycling on such a big up these days you'd hope finding a new Sponsor isn't too tough....The Eurospar Ras?

I am not sure there is much in to be gained from a sponsors point of view. An Post certainly invested a lot but with very little return. Similar to the Dublin City Marathon title sponsors are hard to find and realistically you are looking for a CEO with deep pockets with an avid interest in the sport (i.e. Vodafone Ireland and Triathlon)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

no better place than donegal when the weather's like this (i'm biased)
    burnt and 27 degrees
    stage 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

An Post put a fair bit of work into the Ras over the years. They have really professionalised the whole approach to it and that was recognised with the Sponsorship Award they won for it. Just look at all the tee-shirts and stuff given out, working with post offices that are on the route etc. They will be a tough act to follow as they raised the bar but hopefully somebody will come along and do just that.

It must have been fantastic to have been out there today...days like this are so rare and to have one when the Ras hammer drops is great for all involved. Riders. Spectators, Support, Marshalls and of course the Sponsor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Does anyone know what time the cyclists would be due into Donegal Town tomorrow at approximately? I'd love to bring the wee ones down. Blessed with the weather in Donegal this time :)

• Advertisement

Just on the subject of sponsorship they have billions or trillions on the docks in dublin who sponsor nothing. Do the googles or facebooks etc not go for that?

More me thinking of sports sponsorship in general you very rarely see a jersey anywhere in the world with a tech company logo on it yet they would have the cash to help many sports and a great alternative to booze and insurance sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Does anyone know what time the cyclists would be due into Donegal Town tomorrow at approximately? I'd love to bring the wee ones down. Blessed with the weather in Donegal this time :)

Between 13:45 and 15:07 depending on the wind direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Between 13:45 and 15:07 depending on the wind direction.

Thank you :). I'm assuming they'll come from the Killybegs road into the Diamond?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thank you :). I'm assuming they'll come from the Killybegs road into the Diamond?

Not sure but it will all be on the anpost Ras site or the manual linked earlier here...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Be there for 1:45pm and you should catch it. It's supposed to be quite windy from the SE tomorrow (as it was today) which will mean a headwind of roughly 30kmh for a lot of the route so that will slow things down a bit and you may have a while to wait but it's supposed to be bright and sunny again tomorrow too so waiting a while won't be a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

Pretty impressive stuff seeing some of the county riders up there mixing it with the pros. Kudos to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »

Thats an interesting and well written piece :)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/results-full-ras-stage-5-field-explodes-181km-road-dungloe/

80-odd county riders 25 minutes or more down on the stage winner. I know it's an age-old discussion when it comes to the Ras, but does something not need to change here?

What I'd be curious to know is what the fields in other 2.2 races looks like. Whether they permit entry to so many amateur riders, etc.

And by saying something needs to change, I'm not saying there should be less county riders. Maybe it's time to roll back to a more county-rider focused race, especially with the loss of sponsor.

I love the Ras. It's my favourite race of the year, ahead of any grand tour, but it's also the race with the biggest disparity of standard between first and last. I don't think I'd like the race any less were there less pro teams partaking.

Whatever happened the tour of Ireland's resurrection? I recall one of the McQuaids talking about that in the aftermath of the Giro being here. An ideal scenario for me would be to have a more modest Tour of Ireland than before (ie: less proTour teams, no Lance Armstrong, etc) and roll back the Ras to something approximating days of old.

Then maybe I just need my attitude to be more progressive.

13:45 today, earliest finish time, on the last 2 days we are expecting them in within 20 minutes of that, just remember the mountcharles side of town will be closed off assuming main street will be as well (allowing people round the car park)

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »
    http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/results-full-ras-stage-5-field-explodes-181km-road-dungloe/

80-odd county riders 25 minutes or more down on the stage winner. I know it's an age-old discussion when it comes to the Ras, but does something not need to change here?

What I'd be curious to know is what the fields in other 2.2 races looks like. Whether they permit entry to so many amateur riders, etc.

And by saying something needs to change, I'm not saying there should be less county riders. Maybe it's time to roll back to a more county-rider focused race, especially with the loss of sponsor.

I love the Ras. It's my favourite race of the year, ahead of any grand tour, but it's also the race with the biggest disparity of standard between first and last. I don't think I'd like the race any less were there less pro teams partaking.

Whatever happened the tour of Ireland's resurrection? I recall one of the McQuaids talking about that in the aftermath of the Giro being here. An ideal scenario for me would be to have a more modest Tour of Ireland than before (ie: less proTour teams, no Lance Armstrong, etc) and roll back the Ras to something approximating days of old.

our guy came in 9:22 down which was a bunch of county riders the other guy 35 mins, but he blew after getting caught behind the crash and chasing hard to get back on.
    the disparity isnt that big but think you will see recovery and pro team people maintenance show today.

not sure going back to county rider setup would be a forward step, the guys i know racing have a chance to measure up to the pros

seems to me the biggest difference is in the ability to do sustained efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its an amazing race, but i wonder how do the County riders feel , knowing every year they are going to get a hiding every day from the Pro/Semi Pro teams?
    Are they happy to just enter and get around, without ever , really, having a chance in G.C ?
    I agree about the "Tour of Ireland" , its a shame some companys cant get together under the guidance of someone like McQuaid and bring a Pro race here , similar to the Tour of Britain.
    Imagine the exposure Ireland would get , with weather like the last few days, and scenery along our wonderful coastlines and mountain passes...
    Bord Failte best advertising for our country !!!!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You can race against your peers every weekend. The R?s is one the few opportunities to race at this level.

You can race against your peers every weekend. The R?s is one the few opportunities to race at this level.

right, but try to detach yourself from your closeness to the scene here in Ireland and look at it objectively? Does it make for a good race when you know that a good number of teams can't offer any real challenge to the overall?

It's certainly a great thing for the local riders and it's unique in that regard, from what I can tell. It's more the race itself that I was thinking about.

Incidentally, I've heard anecdotal evidence down the years of county riders being treated quite shabbily by some of the so-called pros. Being looked down on, etc. That can't be much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

right, but try to detach yourself from your closeness to the scene here in Ireland and look at it objectively? Does it make for a good race when you know that a good number of teams can't offer any real challenge to the overall?

It's certainly a great thing for the local riders and it's unique in that regard, from what I can tell. It's more the race itself that I was thinking about.

Incidentally, I've heard anecdotal evidence down the years of county riders being treated quite shabbily by some of the so-called pros. Being looked down on, etc. That can't be much fun.

I think your concept of what it is to compete is twisted. Do you compete in anything? If so, do you only compete to win? Or do you compete to improve yourself and have a deeper understanding of your strengths and weaknesses?

I think your concept of what it is to compete is twisted. Do you compete in anything? If so, do you only compete to win? Or do you compete to improve yourself and have a deeper understanding of your strengths and weaknesses?

Yes, I have competed at elite level.

You?

Also, your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

right, but try to detach yourself from your closeness to the scene here in Ireland and look at it objectively?
    That can't be much fun.

Agreed. :pac:

Or do you compete to improve yourself and have a deeper understanding of your strengths and weaknesses?

also, that's incredibly patronising to county riders.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Yes, I have competed at elite level.

You?

I haven't
    I'm a complete Fred and really quite sh*t but love the bike all the same.

Volunteer a lot though and worked on 10 Raseanna.

I love it the way it is, I also see a leap in the quality of rides coming from the county riders and think the county prize is a progressive and welcome incentive.
    Change is constant but as it it I think the Ras is brilliant and don't think anything radical needs to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Do you compete in anything?

If this is the man i think it is, youll find he has competed at top level, and won, and has his finger on the pulse of what is happening.
    So i think his points are well validated, as he speaks from experience..

If its not him ...... Thats me made look stupid !!!!!!! :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement