Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How are you supposed to rely on DB when...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Was the only one at a stop recently in town and hailed a bus. The driver saw me and indicated to stop but the lights ahead went green and he just accelerated away so he could make the lights!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Some bus drivers have the mentality that if there's 3 buses parked up to a stop that they dont need to stop to pick passengers up and drive on, without giving it a further look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

Some bus drivers have the mentality that if there's 3 buses parked up to a stop that they dont need to stop to pick passengers up and drive on, without giving it a further look.

I really have a problem with this practice. Also if the stop is blocked by buses they will often stop far back from the bus stop meaning that people have to run to make the bus which is ridiculous and is extremely unfair on elderly people. Drivers should assume there are people waiting at the stop unless they can clearly see otherwise. They should have to wait until they can stop safely at the stop with a maximum of one other bus in front of them.

Centre Centre stops, including D'Olier Street, College Green (particularly the stop outside Starbucks) and Bachelor's Walk are bad for this. Suffolk Street was probably the worst when it was used by buses.

I have travelled a fair bit on buses in Germany and they always stop at the bus stop unless there's definitely no one there. You don't have to put your hand out or anything. Usually the bus pulls in and stops for a few seconds and if no one moves to get on they drive off again.

Dublin Bus drivers would be fired if they carried out some of the practices they have here in other European countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

VG31 wrote: »
    I really have a problem with this practice. Also if the stop is blocked by buses they will often stop far back from the bus stop meaning that people have to run to make the bus which is ridiculous and is extremely unfair on elderly people. Drivers should assume there are people waiting at the stop unless they can clearly see otherwise. They should have to wait until they can stop safely at the stop with a maximum of one other bus in front of them.

Thats one of the network direct improvements :o
    3 buses at a stop at any one time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 emroid

DB drivers are instructed that if they cannot pull into a stop continue on to the next one and then let passengers off.
    D'Olier Street, College Green and Bachelor's Walk, too many buses uses the same stops, so drivers can block up traffic while waiting to get into stop or carry on to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Fictional information display screens.

Drivers stopping to get fish and chips (did he eat them while driving?).

Buses not arriving.

Drivers at prayer on the upper deck of darkened buses.

Drivers not turning up for work.

Drivers not stopping at stops.

..and they expect us to believe that this bus company is for our use and benefit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Ravenholm wrote: »
    my favourite response from Dublin Bus on Twitter is the bus "didn't operate due to an operational issue" spiel when you asked where the phantom bus has gone.

a spin on the whole "driver didnt turn up for work"

There could be a number of reasons why a bus does not operate such as a broken down bus, other faults such as doors, ticket machine, soiled buses with either by bodily fluids or other liquids which potential passengers may slip on or a bus have suffered accidental damage. Just to name a few.

Staffing issues are not the only reason why buses don't operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I remember some months ago back in Mid-October when I got an 84a from Stradbrook to Bray Station when heading into college in Bray. The bus was due to leave opposite Blackrock Church at 8:10am but I couldn't get on the bus until it arrived at my stop until 8:22am. The reason why the bus was running late was either due to it being stuck in traffic at Temple Hill or by having a late running time going out on it's previous run from Bray to Blackrock.

While I was on the bus; I got stuck in traffic in a few locations along the route namely at Cabinteely, Cherrywood & while approaching Shankill & Little Bray.

While the bus goes through Cherrywood. It has to take the same variation like the 84 between Blackrock & Newcastle going around that large roundabout in Cherrywood near it's LUAS stops in either direction of the route. When I going up there at that time; one lane going to the roundabout was nearly empty with barely any traffic. The other lane was a different story altogether with rows of cars going in any direction towards Ballybrack, Cabinteely or the N11.

Amazingly; a 7 bus went in that row of traffic which at the time started at that same roundabout. The current 7 from Bride Glen hadn't begun yet as it was a month before that extension went into operation. The same 7 bus was carrying only one or two passengers inside it when it left Cherrywood on it's way heading on it's journey into DCC while still going through the heavy traffic.

The whole journey from Stradbrook to Bray on the 84a took me 43 minutes which meant the bus had arrived in Bray Station at 9:05am. My classes had only begun 5 before that at 9am. After I got off the bus I had to take a further walk up to the college to BIFE which took 10 more minutes. I arrived there late for class at 9:15am.

It was the only time that I had ever used the bus to get to college during the rush hour. Most of the time now I use the DART to get to college.

Another thing I had found out is that it costs me €2.60 each way to use the Bus on a Student leap Card. The DART using the same card is much cheaper costing €2.46 each way & is much quicker from Seapoint. The journey time from Seapoint to Bray on the DART will average out around 25 to 30 minutes.

Advertisement