Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import and Taxes

Options
  • 14-02-2017 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Not sure if I`m in the right thread as this is my first post here :) if I`m wrong - my apologies

Hope somebody will be able to help me with my question...
    i was reading trough the different posts and topics trying to find an answer for hours, but question is still there...
    Importing goods to Ireland for example from China for resale - i clearly understand that i`d have to pay customs duty plus VAT etc. but...if I order a container from China from manufacturer - that`s pretty much straight forward for me.
    What if I order something from AliExpress to resale here...? it wouldn`t be anything prohibited or counterfeit, just a cheap value items? e.g. stickers? - Seller would send those to me in a letter..with a free delivery..final value of those would be for example 50 euro? what should i do then? how do i declare those goods as imported for resale? I`m just about to start that kind of business and don`t know where to start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Import, exporting, and taxes etc are complicated, especially outside the EU.

China has its own rules.

Perhaps you could find someone already working in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nailitious

Oh I just couldn`t believe nobody here ever done that...:(
    but thanks anyway nuac, i`ll keep searching the web...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭filmifan

Hi - I've a question about the Pandora's Box and labyrinth that is customs and import fees on items coming from the US.

I'm an art student that's just enrolled in an on-line oil painting e-course, based in the US. According to our art instructor, we need a specific brand and colour of oil paint.

I've looked everywhere in Ireland and the UK for this colour and this specific brand (FYI: colour is Ice Blue, made by Jack Richeson Oil Paints - an American-based art supplier and paint manufacturer), as well as ebay, but so far, I can't find this very specific colour or brand.

The snag here is that I actually *have* found two places - in the US - that stock this colour and this brand. They are both on-line websites (and very reputable/been in business for decades), but they cannot tell me if there would be any additional import or customs fees added onto the price if I buy from (either of) these websites.

So...long story short: if I buy two tubes of oil paints - which totals under $15 US dollars and definitely under 20 euros - would I also be subjected to paying customs/import fees on top of the cost of the paints plus the usual international shipping fee?

I don't have any problems paying the international shipping fee incurred, and I also realise there'd most likely be additional VAT added on to that as well, but what about customs/import fees? Will I receive the parcel from my postman one morning, only to be issued with another bill to pay customs/import fees on top of that?

Thanks for anyone out there who can help me find out if (and how much) I would be charged extra for the import/customs from the US to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,372 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Buying goods from outside the European Union (EU)

If you buy goods from outside the European Union (EU), you may have to pay:

Customs Duty
    Excise Duty
    Anti-dumping and Countervailing Duty
    Value-Added Tax (VAT)

If your goods have a customs value (including cost, transport, insurance and handling charges) of less than €22, you do not have to pay Customs Duty or VAT. If your goods have a customs value of more than €22, you will have to pay VAT.

If your goods cost more than €150, you will have to pay Customs Duty and VAT. These limits are for the whole delivery, not just one item. You must pay the above duties where applicable, and VAT on alcohol or tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters, regardless of their value.

• Advertisement
Advertisement