Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescription Swimming Goggles?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Em76mu

Got a pair online from Specsappeal. Have to be same power in each eye though. €30 with free delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I'm interested in getting a pair of these swim goggles, can you work off a contact lenses prescription for these goggles or do I need to get my glasses prescription. It doesn't need to be exact to my prescription, once I can see the lanes and end line I'd be fine (and obviously the correct changing room :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I'm using a pair from Aqua Speed that I got on Amazon. I have similar correction needs for both eyes, so I can get away with it. For pool work and the likes (that I'm doing) it's grand, and not ridiculously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Can some one recommed a shop or website to buy perscription swimming goggles.
    I am -11 in both eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Vwsham

pmrc wrote: »
    I am -11 in both eyes.

I have previously used goggles made by a company called Sable. I’d do a lot of open water swimming races and find them fantastic. I’m sure there are cheaper makes out there but to be fair I couldn’t fault them. I guess it depends on how much swimming you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Vwsham wrote: »
    I am -11 in both eyes.

I have previously used goggles made by a company called Sable. I’d do a lot of open water swimming races and find them fantastic. I’m sure there are cheaper makes out there but to be fair I couldn’t fault them. I guess it depends on how much swimming you do.

I am just learning to swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Arbie wrote: »
    Out of interest for Irish data I just looked at a research paper from the Eye and Ear. They admit to hospital about 18 patients a year for contact lens infection, with an average stay in hospital of 6 nights.

About a quarter of these patients use daily disposables, the rest are mainly monthlies. For every 1 patient they admit there are many more who are treated on an outpatient basis, so the annual number is a multiple of those admitted. Most do well in the long term but at least 1 patient with contact lens infection each year needs a corneal transplant, which is a serious operation with lifelong consequences.

Thanks, this is very useful information. If Arbie is still around, or if anyone else has expect knowledge, I would love to know if there is any information on the background to these cases - swimming or showering or whatever

Showering in work after cycling in while wearing lenses is my own concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jeoun

Thanks, this is very useful information. If Arbie is still around, or if anyone else has expect knowledge, I would love to know if there is any information on the background to these cases - swimming or showering or whatever

Showering in work after cycling in while wearing lenses is my own concern.

Have a read of this....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/it-felt-like-my-eye-was-on-fire-irish-mums-warning-to-contact-lens-users-after-parasite-blinds-her-in-one-eye-37210220.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jeoun wrote: »

Yeah, thanks, I read a different report of that case, which prompted my digging on this topic. I'd love to know if many cases have occurred resulting from showering with lenses in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I am -11 in both eyes.

When I was getting my eyes tested earlier this year there was another customer in getting goggles
    They mentioned they had bad eyesight - this was in Crowes in Gorey
    Might be worth a phone call to enquire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 jjjulio

http://www.prescription-swimming-goggles.ie/swimming-goggles do goggles up to -12.0 - Swimmi - but that's unusual. If you get by with a pair up to -8.0 Amazon.uk have loads of choice and pretty cheap too. My prescription is -12.0 and have managed with -10.0 for years in pools or in the sea.

Advertisement