Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get onto the property ladder? South Dublin/Wicklow

Options
  • 14-02-2017 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I have some questions about getting onto the property ladder. Myself and my partner are currently living abroad, with plans to move back to Ireland in the next 12 months or so. We have never been homeowners, so will qualify for first time buyers deposit. We will go back to living with our (respective) parents for around 2 years to save for a deposit. We will be looking in the South Dublin area (we both come from here).
    Should we expect any problems getting a mortgage seeing as we've been living abroad (we will have been gone at least 2 years)?
    I'm wondering has anyone any advice they can give for first time buyers, eg we want a house, but are apartments a good investment? Has anyone got experience of buying an ex council house? Is it worth looking further south towards Greystones, Kilcoole, Delgany etc? Of course all of this will be discussed with other buyers who've gone through the whole process, but I am just looking for any tips that might help us avoid being ripped off etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Ray37 wrote: »
    We will go back to living with our (respective) parents for around 2 years to save for a deposit.

Things could change a lot in the next 2-3 years. I would focus on getting home, getting jobs and saving your deposit. You have plenty of time to scope out the market when you get home. And no you will have no problem getting a mortgage after being away as long as you meet certain criteria i.e. job, deposit and LTV/LTI rules.

Advertisement