Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no lights workibg on one of the lighting circuits.

Options
  • 14-02-2017 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Was in the attic today. And connected a few lights to one of the lighting circuits, these lights are working but the other circuit is not.
    I think I may have touched something but not sure what. Currently I'm reading 0v at the switches of circuit. However if I go into the attic there is a connection where somebody in the past connected some external lights and with that switch in the off position I read 200v between neutral and earth, 0v between live and neutral and 150v between live and earth. On that particular switch there is 3 sensor lights 2 halogen and 1 led. The numbers seem odd. Would I be unlucky enough that a light failed coincidentally? Or could this point in another direction?
    Thanks.for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Was in the attic today. And connected a few lights to one of the lighting circuits, these lights are working but the other circuit is not.
    I think I may have touched something but not sure what. Currently I'm reading 0v at the switches of circuit. However if I go into the attic there is a connection where somebody in the past connected some external lights and with that switch in the off position I read 200v between neutral and earth, 0v between live and neutral and 150v between live and earth. On that particular switch there is 3 sensor lights 2 halogen and 1 led. The numbers seem odd. Would I be unlucky enough that a light failed coincidentally? Or could this point in another direction?
    Thanks.for the help.

If you have 200 volts between neutral and earth then I would think you have a broken neutral somewhere.
    If the lights are on separate circuits then adding lights to one circuit shouldn't affect the other circuit.
    Best advice would be to get an electrician to have a look at it and work with him in retracing the steps you took to add in the extra lights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Seriously, if you cannot (and I mean no personal offence to to OP here) interpret what the readings on the meter are telling you then you should not be doing this work.

Please get someone competent to take a look, otherwise peoples lives are at risk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Rewired the whole circuit today and all good now. Probably a damaged wire as mentioned. They were all just draped over the insulation but now o have them raised and nice and tidy. I'll likely for the rest in time as they were the old Red and black cables.

Advertisement