Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Loan: Change of Registered Owner

Options
  • 14-02-2017 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So a relative of mine who lives in France has bought a car here in Ireland for me. She has an Irish bank account and bought it on a car loan from the bank. But she is not going to drive it, I am. The only way we can get insurance on it is if it is registered to me (as she lives in France). So my question is: can she transfer ownership of it to me whilst still maintaining payments on the loan herself??? Thanks. Car insurance etc is a pain!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yes of course she can. As the car is being financed by a bank loan then it doesn't make any difference who the car is registered to so long as she continues to make the loan repayments then there's no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

So a relative of mine who lives in France has bought a car here in Ireland for me. She has an Irish bank account and bought it on a car loan from the bank. But she is not going to drive it, I am. The only way we can get insurance on it is if it is registered to me (as she lives in France). So my question is: can she transfer ownership of it to me whilst still maintaining payments on the loan herself??? Thanks. Car insurance etc is a pain!
    Depends!
    Was it financed on lease, PCP or HP ?
    Or just a bog standard car loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PurpleWaldo

Thanks both. HP it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

AFAIK if it's HP the car technically belongs to the lender until a certain percentage (50% ???) is paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the loan goes bad and there is more than 50% still owing on the HP finance then it makes no difference who's name is on the registration cert as it will still be the bank's property to seek repossession of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement