Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Customising IFTTT applets ?

• 14-02-2017 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

There's an IFTTT applet I want to use which enables my nest cam to turn on the lights it if detects a sound. I tried it today & it works great, however, I only want it to work between the hours of midnight & 7/8am. Is there any way to adapt it to this do you know?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

OU812 wrote: »
    There's an IFTTT applet I want to use which enables my nest cam to turn on the lights it if detects a sound. I tried it today & it works great, however, I only want it to work between the hours of midnight & 7/8am. Is there any way to adapt it to this do you know?

peoblem there is you have a couple of variables, which ifft doesn't like. have you had a look at stringify? a lot more powerful, but not sure if it controls the nest cam, i think it does

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mossym wrote: »
    peoblem there is you have a couple of variables, which ifft doesn't like. have you had a look at stringify? a lot more powerful, but not sure if it controls the nest cam, i think it does

Yonomi might be an option too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Might be just me, but I found IFFT a bit more limited than I expected. For example I tried to create an applet so that I would get an alert when the heating comes on which is pretty straightforward, everything there at the moment only create triggers when the heat drops or rises above a certain temperature etc. I might check out the others mentioned above when I have a bit of time.

The other thing that slightly bugs me, having come from a Netatmo, is that you can't see when the Nest Thermostat has been on during the day until the next 24 hour segment. The Netatmo app will show you exactly when it came on, for how long, at what temperature etc as the day goes on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Might be just me, but I found IFFT a bit more limited than I expected. For example I tried to create an applet so that I would get an alert when the heating comes on which is pretty straightforward, everything there at the moment only create triggers when the heat drops or rises above a certain temperature etc. I might check out the others mentioned above when I have a bit of time.

That is more of a limitation of the developers, then IFTTT itself. IFTTT can only work with the actions and triggers that the developers of each device and service decide to make available by IFTTT.

I've found some devices to have a very rich set of triggers and services, while others are very poor and feel like just the bare minimum the developer could get away with to satisfy his/her boss and marketing department.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    The other thing that slightly bugs me, having come from a Netatmo, is that you can't see when the Nest Thermostat has been on during the day until the next 24 hour segment. The Netatmo app will show you exactly when it came on, for how long, at what temperature etc as the day goes on.

Uh, given that you have had both Netatmo and now Nest, it would be great to get your feedback on them both, the pros and cons, etc. And what you would recommend to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's me misunderstanding the power of IFTTT, I hoped it was a tool in which you could actually build such triggers given the API is exposed. If I really wanted to, and had the enthusiasm I had for programming when I was 15/20 years younger, I could probably build one myself, but I was looking for the easy way. (edit: cursory look of the API release notes and I don't see a method for a simple on/off status)

Re the Netatmo/Nest, leave it with my while I gather some thoughts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement