Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Hyundai i30 styling.

• 15-02-2017 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

I was always a German car snob and looked at Asian cars as mostly plain ugly and lacking in style, but I can't help but think the new Hyundi I30 is a very handsome car and a major improvement in design and good looks. Anyone think so?

0_hyundaii30_01.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

0_hyundaii30_02.jpg?scale=down

i30-news-wdf-407.jpg?itok=iR6YUpQt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Reminds me of a Golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I think it's a massive step back in terms of design. The out going one was good looking machine, but this looks sorta like a Peugeot from 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In that segment, that should be the aim. Cars are too faddy nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

kub wrote: »
    Reminds me of a Golf

That's it - explains why I found it attractive! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks very like the current Peugeot 308 which has been around for a few years:

pure-qualite-peugeot-nouvelle-308.92416.19.jpg?autocrop=1

Very underwhelming imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Back is golf like, front is Fiesta or Focus ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Aren't Hyundais designed by Germans now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Nope. Current one is nice. This is the epitome of blandness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

This is the main reason I detest the Korean brands. No consistency or any particular design that's identifiable as their own. You buy one of their suv's or an i-whatever this year and you can be certain it'll be instantly dated overnight when they flop around and completely change the design next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

bazz26 wrote: »
    Looks very like the current Peugeot 308 which has been around for a few years:

pure-qualite-peugeot-nouvelle-308.92416.19.jpg?autocrop=1

Very underwhelming imo.

I thought it was a 308 for a minute :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Aren't Hyundais designed by Germans now?

Not this one. See this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

JoeA3 wrote: »
    This is the main reason I detest the Korean brands. No consistency or any particular design that's identifiable as their own. You buy one of their suv's or an i-whatever this year and you can be certain it'll be instantly dated overnight when they flop around and completely change the design next year.

Not a a massive fan of this in particular, but I don't really care about "design language" either. Much rather this than the likes of Audi having the same car across the range, just scaled up.

I was just looking at the current i30 yesterday and thought that the rear looks really dated on it. When it first came around I thought the front was a carbon copy of a focus. And I agree, the next one looks like a 308. I think it's a much nicer design but why oh why can't they come up with their own designs for this class.

The i40, I think, is a handsome car on its own merit, especially as an estate and has stood the test of time very well compared to its smaller sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

There's a bit of everything in that - all comes together into being quite handsome however - won't date as quickly as other Hyundai designs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Crushingly bland and generic. Having got noticed with the first i30 they played it safe with this in the hope of taking the fight to Golf with a better spec and much better warranty. Given VW woes maybe a good move. I hate it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

tippman1 wrote: »
    I was always a German car snob and looked at Asian cars as mostly plain ugly and lacking in style, but I can't help but think the new Hyundi I30 is a very handsome car and a major improvement in design and good looks. Anyone think so?

NO

I wouldn't drive a Kia/Hyundai if you gave it to me for nothing.
    It's an appliance and nothing more. Horrible horrible things.

maddness wrote: »
    I wouldn't drive a Kia/Hyundai if you gave it to me for nothing.
    It's an appliance and nothing more. Horrible horrible things.

Would you drive a 1.6 TDI base model Golf though?

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but it is a very sweeping statement to dismiss 2 brands that you seemingly haven't even driven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That looks more like a BMW 1 series hatch than a golf in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think it's a massive step back in terms of design. The out going one was good looking machine, but this looks sorta like a Peugeot from 10 years ago.

Very underwhelming styling alright. Not any better in the flesh really.

colm_mcm wrote: »

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but it is a very sweeping statement to dismiss 2 brands that you seemingly haven't even driven.

I've driven an I30 as an ex had a new one. And I completely agree with that poster! Souless car and not even cheap tbh.
    I certainly wouldn't spend my own cash on one over better options from VW, Ford, Mazda Peugeot or Renault.

road_high wrote: »
    I've driven an I30 as an ex had a new one. And I completely agree with that poster! Souless car and not even cheap tbh.
    I certainly wouldn't spend my own cash on one over better options from VW, Ford, Mazda Peugeot or Renault.

Would you refuse a free one like the post I quoted though? What year was your ex's one?

Would you refuse a free one like the post I quoted though? What year was your ex's one?

It was brand new a few years back! No I wouldn't refuse a new one but I'd sell it straight away for something I'd actually want and enjoy ;)
    They're perfect for so many motorists though- reliable A to B transport, low costs and long warranties. But not for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

JoyPad wrote: »
    Not this one. See this story.

It looks like he has taken his inspiration for this from the VW Scirocco, judging from that link

This is the third generation of them now, the interior looks quite well and whilst it's not exciting on the outside, the styling won't date as badly as the likes of the new Megane for example. It's certainly miles ahead of the Focus by the looks of it.

This is the third generation of them now, the interior looks quite well and whilst it's not exciting on the outside, the styling won't date as badly as the likes of the new Megane for example. It's certainly miles ahead of the Focus by the looks of it.

The Focus is now over 6 years old though and virtually unchanged since launch. If it's just in styling stakes, a Focus in a good colour and spec looks as good if not better the new I30. Other aspects I can't comment as I've not driven the new I30 but can't imagine it's much different from the old one which I found underpowered and light.

I haven't driven the new one either, but I wouldn't just sssume it's the same as older ones. Hyundai and Kia seem to make big jumps with every new generation. It has slowed down a bit from when they were starting from such a low base, but the improvements are there nonetheless.

How do you know that I haven't driven them....sweeping statements etc.
    I have had the misfortune to drive a couple of Kia's and a Hyundai i30 and I hated them.
    I have no desire to drive a base model Golf TDI but if the choice was that (or a Focus, Astra, Megane, Leon, Octavia, Mazda 3 or whatever) I'd happily take one over a Kia or Hyundai.

• Advertisement

maddness wrote: »
    How do you know that I haven't driven them....sweeping statements etc.
    I have had the misfortune to drive a couple of Kia's and a Hyundai i30 and I hated them.
    I have no desire to drive a base model Golf TDI but if the choice was that (or a Focus, Astra, Megane, Leon, Octavia, Mazda 3 or whatever) I'd happily take one over a Kia or Hyundai.

Your post said you wouldn't drive one. I assumed that to mean that you wouldn't drive one on principle.

My point with the base model Golf is that's what the i30 is up against. The Golf is the segment leader in most respects.

I'm sure if someone said 'I won't drive a Superb because I drove a Felicia before and didn't like it' you'd probably laugh at them.

Your post said you wouldn't drive one. I assumed that to mean that you wouldn't drive one on principle.

My point with the base model Golf is that's what the i30 is up against. The Golf is the segment leader in most respects.

I'm sure if someone said 'I won't drive a Superb because I drove a Felicia before and didn't like it' you'd probably laugh at them.

Some people don't like BMW, Audi or ( insert the brand you don't like ) and they're all entitled to their opinions. I just don't like Hyundai's but it seems that I'm in the minority as half the country seems to be driving them.
    There are a lot of cars I really wouldn't want to drive and it's nothing to do with image, I like cars that are fun to drive and any Hyundai's or Kia's I've driven just don't do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'm with you maddness :pac:
    I'd have no interest in a baseline Golf or Focus either mind you. But for me, the Kias and Hyundais and the likes are for those who just want an A-B motor that looks respectable on the driveway or on the school run.
    People with an interest in cars will look elsewhere. imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Older model - 8/10. This one is playing it a bit safer. 7/10

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Older model - 8/10. This one is playing it a bit safer. 7/10

God do people think that old one was radical?! I think it was ugly and bland. Dating rapidly as well.

Advertisement