Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting to adopt

Options
  • 15-02-2017 4:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I'm looking for some info on adopting a child. I am 38 and my husband is 36 we have a beautiful little girl who is almost 3. I have wanted to adopt for as long as I can remember and recently found out I have gone through early menopause ( something that I'm ok about)
    I come from a blended family my sister has different parents to me( my mother married her dad when we were 5/6)
    We all lived together as a family ( I have 2 dads she has two Mam's, all 6 parents get on great, she used to come with me when I visited my dad and extended family and I went with her when she visited her Mam) my two dads walked me down the aisle.
    My husband comes from a family with lots of brothers and sisters and married parents.
    We would ideally like to adopt a child here in Ireland ( the main reason being We think it's important for a child to understand their culture and where they come from)
    We were thinking an older child or ideally siblings( I thought siblings could be nice to help with family dynamics. So me and my husband don't have the same blood but we are family, my daughter has the same blood as me and my husband but not the same as( her adopted brother/sister) but they are still her brother sister.the adopted children have the same blood as each other but my daughter is still a sister and we are still family. I'm waffling on hope you get what I mean .Also We would have no problem with birth parents remaining involved (weekends,birthdays,Christmas,holiday etc)
    We am not looking to erase the past of a child/ children's life , I will never be their birth Mam but I know I will love them as much as if I were. They will be loved and treated the same as my daughter.they will be supported to find birth parents (if not in contact )
    Ok so where do I go from here? I looked at domestic adoption but people were saying not to bother as nobody really adopts from Ireland, is this true?
    Any advice appreciated x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's not That nobody adopts from Ireland but rather the number of children being placed for adoption is very small each year.

Regarding international adoption, get yourself over to www.iaaireland.net, Trish there will be able to give you a good run down on the most current situation and the process.

If it's something you can consider fostering is another option, but the temporary nature of fostering isn't for every family.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Brian is correct to say that there are relatively few domestic adoptions, but they do happen. For information about that side of things, start here.

Advertisement