Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter Tyres For Cross Bike

Options
  • 15-02-2017 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Looking for tyre recommendations for my cx bike for commuting. I think the cx bike us an excellent commuter bike. It feels so much more stable than a road bike and you can hop curbs cycle across cobbles/grass/anything! Im currently running rocket rons 33mm which is more of a mud/ racing tyre and from what ive read offers little puncture protection and dont roll that well on tarmac. Im looking for a good all round tyre probably 32mm that will be more suited to the road but wont be too harsh a ride and i can still have flexabilty to ride easy trails (canal paths/phoenix park) if i need to. Marathons seem to popular but appear to be very heavy and mixed reviews on grip in wet.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've been considering Swchalbe Land Cruisers myself for the same purpose. They don't have the protection of Marathons which have fantastic protection, but they are something of an all rounder apparently. On road and very light trails I think is the idea. There are no doubt better suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Vittoria Voyager Hyper Folding. Lovely to ride, puncture protection and cheap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Vittoria Voyager Hyper Folding. Lovely to ride, puncture protection and cheap.

I also have these on cdalys recommendation. They're on my new wheels and are being put on to the bike this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

detones wrote: »
    Marathons seem to popular but appear to be very heavy and mixed reviews on grip in wet.
    I have marathon plus on my commuter (road bike) and have also done light trails/ fire roads on them. They are heavy, but the only issues I've had with grip have been mental since I read they were poor at handling!

I've got through without punctures even in circumstances where I've had no choice but to ride through broken glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

I use 35mm Schwalbe Sammy Slick (they're semi-slick) that come standard with the CAADX. I've found them grand for commuting and touring on and off road. I wouldn't say they've great puncture protection mind you but I've been fortunate enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Decided to go with the Vitorrias as per cdalys post. Thanks all.

Advertisement