Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to handle this situation

Options
  • 15-02-2017 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for some feedback/advise,
    Currently the company I work for is in the middle of a takeover, all of the previous directors have sold their stake barring two. One is finishing at the end of the year, the other is staying on as General Manager.
    The Director who is leaving looked after Staff, sales and commercial components of the business, I would have aided him (introduced new procedures, helped increase profitability, hired staff, etc) in his role. It's being suggested to me now that I'm to inherit some of these responsibilities without review, or asking if I want them. Worse still it appears that these will be handed off to me without a review of my title or remuneration.
    I am unsure as to how best to handle this, my inkling is to be direct and state what I've typed above, but I'm unsure as to whether that is the best way to procede. Has anyone been in this situation, or can anyone offer advice?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

You are in charge of your own career so definitely ask.

If you are very obviously taken on more responsibility then its a very fair question and shouldn't be held against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

This is a massive opportunity, not a threat!

It may take some fancy foot-work or a little manipulation on your behalf, but you could come out on top with a significant step up if handled well.

Share some more details and we may be able to offer some direct advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

This is a massive opportunity, not a threat!

That's how I'd see it.

Yes, you'd need outline why you deserve advancement, especially if there is a loss of company knowledge with others leaving.

Question to ask yourself or even the GM. Would he take on the extra responsibilities you are expected to do without reward.

Usually (and I have some experience of this) a company that has been taken over is now in a position when more resources are available now that you are part of a larger group. Not always the case, but more often than not. Of course the new GM might be trying to make a name for himself by keeping costs down.

Advertisement