Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay in Ireland - Workaround

Options
  • 15-02-2017 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭

I've discovered a workaround to using Apple Pay in Ireland.

Steps:

1. You need a French Apple ID - very easy to get. Sign up here and select France and enter any French address - http://appleid.apple.com. Use post code 75008.
    2. Change your region & language to France on your phone. Settings > General > Language and Region
    3. Sign into your French Apple account on your phone. This is done in Settings > iTunes & App Store.
    4. Download the "Boon" app.
    5. Setup a Boon account. I used the bulk of my Irish address but set the country to France.
    6. Check that your Boon balance is in Euros.
    7. Add the "Boon" card to your Apple wallet.
    8. Change your phone language back to English. Settings > General > Language and Region
    9. Sign out of your French app store account and sign back in to your Irish account. (See step 3).
    10. Top up your Boon account. You can use a credit card or bank transfer (I don't think Debit cards work) but there is a €1EUR fee. Topping up by bank transfer is free (They give you a dedicated IBAN to use for top-ups. I tried this and the transfer took one business day, so quite quick).

I've tested this in McDonald's and my local shop and all is working.

What you get:
    1. Apple Pay on your iPhone, in Euros, with no transaction fees.
    2. A virtual card to purchase online using Apple Pay.
    3. Free top ups in EUR via bank transfer.
    4. 250euro usage each month (this can be increased if you upload ID and proof of address in France such as bank statement, utility bill. Not everyone will have this of course.)

Something similar to this was posted previously using a UK boon account, however that account is in Sterling and you would be stuck with paying non-pound transaction fees everytime you buy in euros.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Nice one! Well done man. Was giving up on ever getting a chance to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Should keep us going until it launches!

Took me a while but got it sorted. Here's the hurdles I fell at before getting there;

Best open a new French iTunes account on your iPhone, I couldn't get the "no CC" option on my Mac. I signed out of my Irish acc then went to buy a free game in App store. The "no CC' option will be already checked on phone.

You'll need a French post code, 75008 works fine, and a phone number, I just googled a French hotel and used that.

When 2 options boxes come up only tick the T&Cs one, the other one locks you out. (It accepts your Irish phone number ok, but if you tick "agree to be contacted by" it blocks the account.

I set up my CC on Boon easily enough but then had to go through Visa's verification page, I got my limit wrong on the first attempt and it locked me out right away.

A debit card registers ok but won't let you top up at the final step so I went the wire transfer route and stuck a tenner in.

Thanks naasrd. I'll add the post code to the first post.

Thanks naasrd. I'll add the post code to the first post.

Great. Mods should look at making this a Stickie for a while, lots of members will want to try this.

• Advertisement

Topped up by 5EUR from my KBC account just to test it.

Sent the money at 9.30am on Wednesday. Money was in my Boon account at 2.30pm the same day. Probably the fastest I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Good find - I was curious about this boon business to try Apple Pay, but didn't go through with it after looking at their website...(also, holding out hop that revolut get apple pay!)

If one were to change an existing apple account to be french, does it prevent apps updating etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

But why would you need it? Is there anyone actually operating Apple Pay in ireland

But why would you need it? Is there anyone actually operating Apple Pay in ireland
    need is a strong term, in the eyes of geeks wanting to try out cool technology!
    yes - well supported in Ireland. Anywhere you can use contactless payment (so most credit card machines at this stage...) you can use Apply Pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    Good find - I was curious about this boon business to try Apple Pay, but didn't go through with it after looking at their website...(also, holding out hop that revolut get apple pay!)

If one were to change an existing apple account to be french, does it prevent apps updating etc.?
    No need to change accounts. Just setup a spare French one and log in and back out again after installing and setting up the app

No need to change accounts. Just setup a spare French one and log in and back out again after installing and setting up the app
    does that prevent you getting app updates? Had a problem before with yahoo finance being a UK app, and never updating...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

does that prevent you getting app updates? Had a problem before with yahoo finance being a UK app, and never updating...

For 'foreign' app store accounts, I just occasionally log in and then update. No big deal. I'm very interested in this too but like another poster said, I will wait a little while longer to see if Revolut finally do Apple Pay.

Yep I just login and out around one every month or so just to update my foreign apps like iPlayer, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Anyone ever get the message after trying to login to boon "Your account is locked. Please contact the service team."?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Anyone ever get the message after trying to login to boon "Your account is locked. Please contact the service team."?

Your account is locked due to security concerns and you will need to supply proof of address to unlock and or get a refund

Your account is locked due to security concerns and you will need to supply proof of address to unlock and or get a refund

I got a feeling they won't accept an irish address (Irish passport or utility bill).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Defo going to give this a try. Thanks a million for the heads up.

Is there anything stopping you setting up an Irish Boon account - they support Android in Ireland. Then downloading the Boon French app and logging in using that? Or will it reject it given it's not a French Boon account?

Yeah, got the locked out message the following morning after I topped up.

I've been using it away fine ? Are people still locked out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Has anyone tried to change country/address from U.K. to France?

I set an account up last year using the same steps with a UK address but would like to change it to France to use euro. In the app it says to change address you need to contact support, but considering we are entering random address details I doubt I could say 'I'd like to change my address to a French one please' without them locking the account. Any suggestions?

You can't change country. You have to lose your UK account and setup a new one for France.

After closing the UK one, you have to wait 24-48 hours before signing up again to use the same email / password.

Got set up ok but haven't tried it out yet nor loaded money into my account yet. Setup says that without ID you can only use it in French territories. Is that correct? Has anyone successfully used the Apple Pay element in Ireland? Thanks.

Using it away in Ireland.

Works great - tried it this morning!

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Cheers

Im still locked out myself,Sent them a email through there website last Thursday and still no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

This is working great for me on iPhone and Apple Watch. Thanks for the workaround!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gabba Gabba Hey

Where can you use it? I don't recall seeing many terminals with the logo about?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Where can you use it? I don't recall seeing many terminals with the logo about?

Pretty much everywhere where the contactless logo is displayed. Terminals don't have to display Apple Pay logo to be able to use Apple Pay with.

• Advertisement

Haven't had any issues using it on usual contactless terminals. Other than the looks you get when you say "Can I use contactless" and hold the phone on the terminal.

Advertisement