Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay in Ireland - Workaround

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DubDJ wrote: »
    I'm on the iPhone 7 with the latest update and there's no option in settings for Wallet and Apple Pay. When I open the app it just shows the passes. Tried hard rebooting but nothing.

Yes there is, it's right under the iTunes & App Store in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Only way to switch regions with boon is close your existing account (email Boon support) and then wait 48 hours. You can open a new account then with the same phone number and email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Only way to switch regions with boon is close your existing account (email Boon support) and then wait 48 hours. You can open a new account then with the same phone number and email address.

Has anyone done this yet - have to hold off anyway as have €60 in the account. Doesn't really make a difference I suppose but heading abroad in a month and would like to be able to use it outside of europe. Boon France wont let you do that.

Yeah I've closed and re-opened to another country (moved from Uk to France account).

Best bet is use up your 60 euro ASAP then close the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dtwhite123

Reading the Boon website, they mention that a PIN is required for every transaction. For those that have used it, is that correct? Seems like it defeats the purpose of contactless, at least for small transactions.

Second question - is a PIN required with Apple Watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

I'm on the iPhone 7 with the latest update and there's no option in settings for Wallet and Apple Pay. When I open the app it just shows the passes. Tried hard rebooting but nothing.

Try it over wifi instead of data

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm with AIB and it has been confirmed that they aren't supporting it at launch. I wanted to give it a look to see what banks were supported earlier.

I'm still curious as to why I've no Apple Pay option though. I 100 percent don't have it in the settings app, even searching the settings doesn't show the option. I've hard reset the iPhone and tried over wifi and data. I've also closed and relaunched the app a few times.

When I open the wallet app all I get is the option to scan a pass or search for apps that support passes.

Very weird, and I've never changed regions or tweaked any settings before.

Anybody else not have the option yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I know when I opened the Wallet app this morning, the Apple pay logo was in the corner of the screen. However I also have the Ulster Bank app on my phone and an Ulster Bank visa card registered as my default payment for iTunes. Not sure if this would have made a difference.

tallpaul wrote: »
    I know when I opened the Wallet app this morning, the Apple pay logo was in the corner of the screen. However I also have the Ulster Bank app on my phone and an Ulster Bank visa card registered as my default payment for iTunes. Not sure if this would have made a difference.

Have the same option on my Wallet App as well and I am not a Ulster Bank customer or have any details on the phone.

With PTSB and it's annoying that they are not on this.

Dtwhite123 wrote: »
    Reading the Boon website, they mention that a PIN is required for every transaction. For those that have used it, is that correct? Seems like it defeats the purpose of contactless, at least for small transactions.

Second question - is a PIN required with Apple Watch?

Touch ID i imagine. That's what I used on Boon france.

If someone doesn't see the apple pay option, temporarily change your region to UK in the language and region settings.

Then open Wallet and try add from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I'm with AIB and it has been confirmed that they aren't supporting it at launch. I wanted to give it a look to see what banks were supported earlier.

I'm still curious as to why I've no Apple Pay option though. I 100 percent don't have it in the settings app, even searching the settings doesn't show the option. I've hard reset the iPhone and tried over wifi and data. I've also closed and relaunched the app a few times.

When I open the wallet app all I get is the option to scan a pass or search for apps that support passes.

Very weird, and I've never changed regions or tweaked any settings before.

Anybody else not have the option yet?

Very odd Dub, just got my son to check his, as soon as he opens Wallet he gets a prompt to use Apple Pay. Have you got an iPad? Have a look in Settings and see if it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I don't know what happened with mine but it did eventually appear this evening. I tried at around 6pm and and Apple Pay option appeared and the settings app has the section for it now too.

Maybe because I opened the app to check shortly after I posted about it being available, that caused some glitch.

It was only earlier this morning I was really interested, but after the banks were confirmed I wasn't bothered as mine wasn't supported. After that I was just curious as to why the option wasn't appearing.

AIB customer service told me they were in talks with Apple and to "watch this space". Now whether that was just some rep making it up or if somebody higher up actually did tell them to use that official statement is anybody's guess. I've a feeling they will eventually support it in a few months though.

Given AIB have Android Pay, I reckon it's highly likely they're in talks with Apple.

Those with Permanent TSB and BOI, don't hold your breath :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Signed up to boon! Gonna try in Lidl this am

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Got my early morning coffee from McDonald's with it. Good job. Must remember to wear my watch on my right wrist though, nearly came out of the window at the drive thru stretching to the machine. :D

Paid for my lunch in Lidl this morning with my Apple Watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

God damn it. Have cards from AIB and BOI but no recognition 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Anyone else with a Boon French account get a text message today?

"Reminder: to make payments with boon outside of French territories you need to upgrade to boon Plus."

Haven't tried it today - hope they haven't switched off the functionality? I'm boon Basic with €60 still in my account that I need to use before I cancel.

Anyone know if I cancel now can they transfer the amount to another account?

Thanks

God damn it. Have cards from AIB and BOI but no recognition 😭

Just download the Boon app and set it up.

Decline from Dominos :(

Tried on watch and iPhone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

snowflaker wrote: »
    Decline from Dominos :(

Tried on watch and iPhone
    Take that as a sign that apple are saving you from terrible pizza :pac:

Take that as a sign that apple are saving you from terrible pizza :pac:

Got the pizza! Contactless visa

My small little local shop took Apple Pay this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smasherplan9

Downloaded the boon app, transferred 50 euro form my BOI account using the wire transfer option, used in tesco yesterday no problem but now getting a message in the boon app that my "account is locked, please contact the service team", anyone else get this?

Downloaded the boon app, transferred 50 euro form my BOI account using the wire transfer option, used in tesco yesterday no problem but now getting a message in the boon app that my "account is locked, please contact the service team", anyone else get this?

I got that at first as well. Found it strange.

After a while I was able to logon again.

Seemed to happen with a few people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smasherplan9

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Im still locked out myself,Sent them a email through there website last Thursday and still no reply.

Did you get that resolved Bummer1234?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Here's something i noticed, in the boon app, in settings->change personal details there is an option for country of residence, one of which is Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Did you get that resolved Bummer1234?

No never did, I emailed them a picture of my bank statement and drivers licence last saturday and still no reply. I emailed them again midweek but still nothing. Lucky im with ulster bank so i won't need it....

Pain for me was i transfered €30 and once i get access to it again ill be sending it back and closing the account. They way they have handled this,i would hate it to be a fraud case.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Here's something i noticed, in the boon app, in settings->change personal details there is an option for country of residence, one of which is Ireland?

Boon has launched in Ireland, as of the Apple Pay announcement this week, you no longer need to pretend you live in the UK or France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

ibFoxer wrote: »

I tried to change country Was that IOS or android? On IOS when I try to change Country from UK, when I click on country I get message I need to contact customer service to change it.

Advertisement