Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metal garage planning permission

• 15-02-2017 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I live on a corner site in a 3 bed semi in an estate, up until now I had a good quality metal garage (21ft X 13ft) at the side of the house but having completed an extension it feels quite imposing.
    I was hoping to move this garage forward so it would be to the side and forward of the house, this would still easily leave parking for 3 cars. The garage would not block any view as I am at the end of row and it would be in front of 12ft boundary fencing.
    So my question is do I need planning or because it's not a fixed structure made from bricks and mortar am I exempt?

Sorry for the long winded detail and thank you for any and all advice!ðŸ‘

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes you need planning permission.
    I can't see it been granted based on the info in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 squidgy51

Thanks kceire, what do you think are the main points preventing planning being granted?

squidgy51 wrote: »
    Thanks kceire, what do you think are the main points preventing planning being granted?

Couldn't answer without on the ground view but mainly streetscape character, undesirable precedent and to be brutally honest, a bloody shed in the front garden :)

Can the whole shed rot to the side? It may still require planning, but at least it's behind the building line so has a chance of been granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 squidgy51

Thanks for your honesty, was hoping it would be different, if you saw the location it would be closed in by 3 sides, would not look out of the way but I understand the front line of the house is a major caveat!

Is there anything to the urban legend that with a timber or metal shed/garage because it's not bolted down and only resting on the plot in the same way a caravan can be parked in the drive, that it can avoid the planning restrictions governing fixed block work?

Thanks again for the advice and I apologise if I come across clueless on this!

Ps if you have any suggestions on how to solve my dilemma please let me know?
    Ian

squidgy51 wrote: »
    Is there anything to the urban legend that with a timber or metal shed/garage because it's not bolted down and only resting on the plot in the same way a caravan can be parked in the drive, that it can avoid the planning restrictions governing fixed block work?

No, its an urban legend, and an untrue one at that.
    Structure to the front cant be over 1.2m high (boundary wall max height)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 paddy138

I looked into this recently, this is for county Louth, others county may differ.
    I was allowed a 25m*2 (5*5)m shed for storage purposes without planning permission. I was planning on pit up a 6 by 4 metre steel structure shed on concrete base. You should go into your local planning officer and get talking to someone. Maybe get in writing from them aswell.

paddy138 wrote: »
    I looked into this recently, this is for county Louth, others county may differ.
    I was allowed a 25m*2 (5*5)m shed for storage purposes without planning permission. I was planning on pit up a 6 by 4 metre steel structure shed on concrete base. You should go into your local planning officer and get talking to someone. Maybe get in writing from them aswell.

They won't offer an opinion in writing. The onus is on the home owner to comply.
    The shed exemption is to the rear, the OP wants to put it at the front.

The shed exemption is already well known, it's just its location in this instance that's the issue.

Advertisement