Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17mo with terrible cough at night

Options
  • 15-02-2017 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My 17mo has a terrible cough at night. Not a bother on her all day until approx. 1am... from then until 6am she wakes several times with a horrendous cough, goes blue in the face trying to catch her breath!!! Any suggestions of what I can do to help her? No cough bottles for children her age, have tried honey, she doesn't like it, gave her sootha medication but that makes her cough so no good either!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I'm no help sorry but my 3yr old has developed the same thing in the last 6 months! Not a bother during the day but from about 12am onwards she takes some awful fits of coughing. I just bring her a drink and it settles eventually. Strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Persistent nighttime coughs in small children can often be a sign asthma. It is worth bringing them to doctor to have them checked out.
    If you have central heating, the air in the bedrooms can get dry and start them coughing. A bowl of water on the radiator can help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My 17mo has a terrible cough at night. Not a bother on her all day until approx. 1am... from then until 6am she wakes several times with a horrendous cough, goes blue in the face trying to catch her breath!!! Any suggestions of what I can do to help her? No cough bottles for children her age, have tried honey, she doesn't like it, gave her sootha medication but that makes her cough so no good either!!!

Get a decent coconut oil and melt about 2 tablespoons. Pour it into a little pot that has a lid (i use a little food pot) add about 20 drops of good quality tea tree oil, put it in the fridge to harden and use it like Vicks at night. On her chest and her back.
    My little one had a real whooping type cough last weekend. It cleared it in 3 days ;)

Advertisement