Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 recommendations

Options
  • 15-02-2017 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

So after playing Batman Return to Arkham and Arkham Knight on my PS4 I decided I wanted to give Arkham Orgins a go. I picked up a 360, a 120GB HD, Origins and South Park The Stick of Truth for approx €70. May as well make the most of the Console now that I have it so are there any 'must haves' that I should be getting?

Keeping in mind I took a break from gaming around 2009 and only got back into it late last year so I'm sure there are loads of games I missed out on in that 5/6 year period.

Alan Wake is one that piqued my interest. I read through a thread on the gaming general board but didn't want to resurrect it after 7 years.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Red Dead Redemption.

A gold sub so you get the free games each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Assassin's Creed II, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and AC4 Black Flag.
    By far the best games in the Assassin's Creed series, if you fancy that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

qrx wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption.

Ah yes, Red Dead. Forgot about that. Definitely must add to the list, thanks. What about RDR Undead Nightmare? Similar or totally different?

A gold sub so you get the free games each month.

Bizarrely this 360 doesn't seem to be able to conect to the net. When I tried to setup an online account it kept telling me it was missing a WiFi adapter or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Halo: Reach is a good one... a very polished/balanced FPS

Modern Warfare 2 is another

I was in the same boat as you when I got my 360 about 6 years ago.. hadn't played a console in several years, so got to enjoy all the cheap 2nd hand games that I'd missed out on

JoyPad wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed II, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and AC4 Black Flag.
    By far the best games in the Assassin's Creed series, if you fancy that sort of thing.

Have never played AC before. Didn't think they'd be for me but will look into them, thanks.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Halo: Reach is a good one... a very polished/balanced FPS

Modern Warfare 2 is another

I was in the same boat as you when I got my 360 about 6 years ago.. hadn't played a console in several years, so got to enjoy all the cheap 2nd hand games that I'd missed out on

Yep, I was delighted to see the prices of games in town. Some going for €1.50 up to €20. Will probably hold off on PS4 games for a while and just focus on cheap 360 ones. Should assist in saving for a new sofa, kitchen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I may be wrong here but didnt some of the early 360 come with no wifi adapter and you had to purchase one seperately, could that be the case with yours?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

SteoL wrote: »
    Bizarrely this 360 doesn't seem to be able to conect to the net. When I tried to setup an online account it kept telling me it was missing a WiFi adapter or something.

The original 360 revisions didn't have Wifi built in, and had to have a dongle attached.

What's most worrying for you though, is that most of the models that didn't have WiFi are probably most at risk of having a RROD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I may be wrong here but didnt some of the early 360 come with no wifi adapter and you had to purchase one seperately, could that be the case with yours?

That's correct. My 360 needed a wifi adaptor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Far Cry 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

CatInABox wrote: »
    The original 360 revisions didn't have Wifi built in, and had to have a dongle attached.

What's most worrying for you though, is that most of the models that didn't have WiFi are probably most at risk of having a RROD.

My 360 was the version *just after* they fixed the RROD issue. Was called a "Super Elite Xbox 360 limited edition" afaik.

It has no wifi though, but still going strong with the original 250GB HDD after 6 years (albeit I've got ****loads of flash drives sticking out of it) ;)

I think the OP has the 120 GB version of the "Elite" so should be free of RROD risks.

I thought all 360 were susceptible to the RROD. Wasn't aware they came out with a fix for it. The console alone was only €45 so if I get Arkham Origins, South Park played it will have been worth it. Anything else is a bonus. Of course, I would prefer it lasted a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

I thought all 360 were susceptible to the RROD. Wasn't aware they came out with a fix for it. The console alone was only €45 so if I get Arkham Origins, South Park played it will have been worth it. Anything else is a bonus. Of course, I would prefer it lasted a long time.

Word of warning about South Park, it has some scenes cut out, with a censored screen telling you about them. I believe this was not the case on the pc version of the game. It's a good fun game, but I found it incredibly annoying/frustrating that we didn't get the full game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

I have a launch 360 that hasn't red ringed. I'm hoping it'll be a collectors item in 20 years time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Word of warning about South Park, it has some scenes cut out, with a censored screen telling you about them. I believe this was not the case on the pc version of the game. It's a good fun game, but I found it incredibly annoying/frustrating that we didn't get the full game.

its just one scene. you can youtube it if you really need to see it but its not nearly enough to make the game a no-go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nah, they eventually figured it out, and released a version of the chipset that was bulletproof, but it did take years and years, with multiple revisions just reducing the chance of it happening.

I've got an original launch 360 that was still running when I replaced it with my Xbox One, so I was one of the 32% that was lucky enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The Mass Effect Series.

I also liked playing some original Xbox games on mine like KOTOR and the Tony Hawk games.

Seriously? Why would they do that? Argh, I hate censorship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

Gears of War is one of my favorite gaming series of all time, I find its like the Arkham games with guns

Saw Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row (the first) in CEX for €6 and €3 respectively. Worth my time? I do like GTA if that means anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

its just one scene. you can youtube it if you really need to see it but its not nearly enough to make the game a no-go.

At least two scenes that I can remember off hand. Even with the scenes censored (by the game makers) it is still a very good game.

However I did fight it incredibly annoying that this content was removed from the game, and replaced by a screen telling me it was removed from the game.
    Saw Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row (the first) in CEX for €6 and €3 respectively. Worth my time? I do like GTA if that means anything.

Sleeping dogs is a good game for sure. I very much enjoyed it!

Sleeping dogs is a good game for sure. I very much enjoyed it!

I actually had the remaster on PS4 a few months back (bought in CEX as well) but it was an Asian version and I couldn't get the controls. On screen prompts and even the game menu were in Cantonese. Eventually gave up and brought it back. Have wanted to pick it up again so may as well get it at that price (remaster is €30).

Hmm. Finding South Park a bit boring. Yes it has some very funny parts but they tend to get old quickly. I'm finding it more enjoyable doing shortish plays (1 hour) rather than my usual gaming sessions of several hours. Also, the censorship was annoying. Mainly due to the fact that so many scenes were removed in such a short time (UFO). The shorter sessions make the game more enjoyable IMO.

Loving Sleeping Dogs so far. Everything about it is brilliant, the setting, the gameplay. Driving is a bit off but that's something I will get used to.

Picked up Alan Wake for €3.50. Am really looking forward to playing this but it won't be until I finish Sleeping Dogs.

Regarding Red Dead Redemption, am I correct in thinking that the GOTY edition includes Undead Nightmare (which is available as a separate disc too)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

That is correct yes!

I'm surprised Argos still have 360 games. Picked up Red Dead Redemption GOTY and GTA San Andreas in there today. At €31 for both it worked out much cheaper than had I gone to CEX (which is where I had planned on getting RDR).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

its probably an elite version with the 120gb hdd, they're grand for RROD, I have one myself.

3 more purchased today (I need to stop going into CEX on my way home from work). GTA4 Episodes from Liberty City (played this years ago on PS3 and loved it). Dishonored and Deadly Premonition. I'm a sucker for a decent survival horror game and DP seems to tick the right boxes. I do need to stop buying games though, between the 360, the PS4 and PSVR i must have well over 20 games I've yet to play.

• Advertisement

Just noticed it's possible to install games to the HDD rather than just playing directly from disc. Presume this is the best way to play and should reduce lag a bit?

Advertisement