Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

yep, primarily reduces loadtimes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭droidman123

I have an xbox 360 being delivered tomorrow,never had one before,or any games console so i,m a complete noob,a few quick questions
    Any good recommended games? Not too complicated,im crap at pushing those buttons at quick speed,just casual gaming.
    Also,is it worth buying one of those wireless steering wheels for racing games or is the controller you get with the console ok?
    Lastly,wheres the best online place to buy games
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I have an xbox 360 being delivered tomorrow,never had one before,or any games console so i,m a complete noob,a few quick questions
    Any good recommended games? Not too complicated,im crap at pushing those buttons at quick speed,just casual gaming.
    Also,is it worth buying one of those wireless steering wheels for racing games or is the controller you get with the console ok?
    Lastly,wheres the best online place to buy games
    Thanks in advance

Get yourself a Live Subscription from CD Keys. It'll cost about €35 for the year. This allows you to play online but it also gives you 4 free games a month (2 for the 360 and 2 for the One).

Other than that I'd recommend picking up the BioShock games, should be very cheap second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Get Red Dead Redemption, fun game!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Highly recommend Alan Wake too - €3.99

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions,i ordered two of the above games to start me off.just another question,is it cheaper to download games directly onto the xbox or buy the physical disc,or is it much of a much?

Thanks for the suggestions,i ordered two of the above games to start me off.just another question,is it cheaper to download games directly onto the xbox or buy the physical disc,or is it much of a much?

Buy disks and buy second hand. You'll save way more that way.

There's no point paying full price for a sealed copy of the game when it is available preowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I thought red dead redemption was boring.

Bad Company 2 played online, highly recommended. Although I'm not sure how strong the online community still is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Buy disks and buy second hand. You'll save way more that way.

There's no point paying full price for a sealed copy of the game when it is available preowned.

Problem with buying second hand is that quality can be dubious - I've bought a few games from the likes of Game Stop etc. Both times, games work then stop - disk unreadable. Very irritating. Other than playing the game for a few hours before you buy, and ideas how this can be prevented? I've downloaded a few of the games - I'm a gold members - so this works better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

Get Dishonoured and Farcry 3 and be prepared to disappear from human contact for a month or two.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Problem with buying second hand is that quality can be dubious - I've bought a few games from the likes of Game Stop etc. Both times, games work then stop - disk unreadable. Very irritating. Other than playing the game for a few hours before you buy, and ideas how this can be prevented? I've downloaded a few of the games - I'm a gold members - so this works better for me.

If your buying from GameStop or CEX and the disk doesn't work just return it and they should replace it.

No point buying a game from Live for €20/30 and it's available second hand for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Hey OP

I picked up Alan Wake after a YouTube review recommended it.

Honestly found it to be a pretty game. but extremely repetetive and dull despite what should be a thrilling setting.

Edit: Although the levels are done in a episodic format with a TV style recap before each level. That may suit your pick up and play for an hour approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

emmetkenny wrote:
    No point buying a game from Live for €20/30 and it's available second hand for €10.

Yeah but.....disc changing 😣

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Yeah but.....disc changing 😣

For someone new to gaming as the OP, who opted for a 360 rather than a One, probably want to play as cheaply as possible. Best way to do that is buying second hand games as they are way cheaper than digital especially on 360.

I only own three disk based games between my PS4 and One out of 70+ games. I hate changing disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

You only put in the disk once. Hardly an onerous duty:rolleyes:

cml387 wrote: »
    You only put in the disk once. Hardly an onerous duty:rolleyes:

He means if your playing different games. That means you have to get up and change the disk to the new game you want to play.

I was kidding!

...Well, half joking, whole in earnest :p

I only own three disk based games between my PS4 and One out of 70+ games. I hate changing disks.
    Same here; FH3, GoW4, and Overwatch.

I wouldn't often play FH3 but am constantly switching between GoW4 and Overwatch. I'm waiting for a good digital price on either of those. Hopefully Overwatch soon, that disc is still going for a decent amount.

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Same here; FH3, GoW4, and Overwatch.

I wouldn't often play FH3 but am constantly switching between GoW4 and Overwatch. I'm waiting for a good digital price on either of those. Hopefully Overwatch soon, that disc is still going for a decent amount.

Mad Max, Titanfall and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Two were from Tesco for €10 each and I'd a voucher for Argos so got Titanfall :)

Have i you on my friends list for Overwatch on the One?

Have i you on my friends list for Overwatch on the One?
    Yep, I think so...

• Advertisement

Lads i am just atm downloading my free game that came with the xbox 360,forza horizon 2,its a little over 7gb but is it supposed to take an age to download it? I have giod broadband with virgin.its downloading but seems to be taking forever

Lads i am just atm downloading my free game that came with the xbox 360,forza horizon 2,its a little over 7gb but is it supposed to take an age to download it? I have giod broadband with virgin.its downloading but seems to be taking forever

What speed is your Broadband? Do you have the 360 connecting over WiFi or Wired?

What speed is your Broadband? Do you have the 360 connecting over WiFi or Wired?

Its 240 wifi,i got there in the end,took about 35 minutes.i think i was a little too impatient to get my first game :)

Its 240 wifi,i got there in the end,took about 35 minutes.i think i was a little too impatient to get my first game :)

Is it Horizon? I believe their boxes tend to drop WiFi and have poor signal. It might be worth your while looking into Homeplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Prezatch wrote: »
    I thought red dead redemption was boring.

Bad Company 2 played online, highly recommended. Although I'm not sure how strong the online community still is

It's a great game but the community is dwindling unfortunately. You'll still get a game but the server might not be full.

Another quick question,i got a free months gold subscription with my new xbox 360,if i download games during this month,do i get to keep the games when the month is up if i dont continue the gold subscription? Again sorry for the noobness.i am really enjoying the experience so far,although i have only played the free horizon racing game that came with it.

Another quick question,i got a free months gold subscription with my new xbox 360,if i download games during this month,do i get to keep the games when the month is up if i dont continue the gold subscription? Again sorry for the noobness.i am really enjoying the experience so far,although i have only played the free horizon racing game that came with it.

I think on the 360 you get to keep the games even if the Live Subscription expires. I'm not 100% on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I think on the 360 you get to keep the games even if the Live Subscription expires. I'm not 100% on that though.

Yep 360 are forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Droidman I'd also recommend CEX for preowned games. Gamestop can be expensive, e.g. Alan Wake cost me €3.50 in CEX, Gamestop were looking for €9.99 for it. I've purchased about 15 games for the 360 since I bought it last month. Prices ranging from €3.50 to €16. Of these I had to return one game because the 360 couldn't read the disc.

As for recommendations, personally I'd suggest Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and to a lesser extent Arkham Origins. Fantastic series of games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement