Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cache problem? / website

Options
  • 15-02-2017 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,

issue all started when I tried to make changes to a home page. Changes were not being reflected on the front end.

cleared all the cache (on chrome) and restarted but nothing changed (old page still there). When I do a shift f5 refresh then I do see the changes.

It appears to my understanding that I've cleared the browser cache (have also cleared the cache in wordpress) - so why is the old page still loading

Can anyone explain whats going on and or how to fix it ?

Wordpress - all updated
    hosted at Bluehost

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

To speed up your browsing, the browsers use caches. They cache the html, the images, the css, the scripts etc. separately.
    Your wordpress may have a caching plugin installed (server serves stored info), you may have browser and server caching instructions in your .htaccess file.
    If you want to see edits "instantly" then turn off all caching, as this is often not practical then having to force a browser refresh occasionally is a small price to pay for faster browsing.
    Just because something is not instant does not mean it needs "fixing".

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I don't work with Wordpress but it'd be useful to know what is actually being cached. If it's images that's par for the course and you often have to add a URL parameter (e.g. www.mydomain.com/images/myimage.jpg?v=1) so that the browser recognises it's a different image and doesn't attempt to read from cache. Similar can be done for CSS and JS resources. Text cache aren't as common because it's primarily just embedded in the HTML and the browser should recognise when that's changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭wonga77

Is there any caching installed by the hosts?
    I try and do my work in an incognito tab or if possible try and have all caching plugins disabled. It can be a pain in the ass clearing the cache every few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

thanks a mill ...

turns out there was a cache issue on the host side ... took a few days for it to clear out apparently

cheers

Advertisement