Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you work whilst doing the Hibernia masters?

Options
  • 15-02-2017 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

If I were to undertake the Masters in Primary teaching, would I realistically be able to work full time alongside it? Or is it very time consuming?

I'd love to do it but I also need to be able to work to keep a roof over my head! Just wondering if anyone has any info?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

If I were to undertake the Masters in Primary teaching, would I realistically be able to work full time alongside it? Or is it very time consuming?

I'd love to do it but I also need to be able to work to keep a roof over my head! Just wondering if anyone has any info?

Thanks.

I'm wondering same thing. I know you'd have to take time off for teaching practice and your time in the gaeltacht. I read before that the 2nd year is a lot more time consuming than the first!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

I have seen people work through it. Haven't experience of this myself as went another route. Bear in mind the teaching placement stretches. A 5 week, a 10 week and probably another one I don't know of. Your employer would have to be very flexible to allow you the time off for these.
    There is also a mandatory gaeltacht session too.
    Best of luck with your decision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Very much depends on what your job is and/or whether you can get time off for the teaching practices. TPs are very intense and I would think very few jobs allow you the time to prepare for classes, give classes and review classes, before preparing again etc. I had a role as a housemaster in a school which required me supervising students out of class from morning til morning which just about allowed me to do that but physically and mentally it was a stretch

Aside from the teaching practices I would say it's not a particularly difficult thing to combine the work and study needed for the course if you're motivated, but the TP will demand special consideration.

Advertisement