Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with Canyon :(

Options
  • 15-02-2017 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, the bottom headset bearing ( which is really thin and much more fragile than a normal headset bearing ) has gone on my Canyon CF Ultimate SLX after just 700km. It went on my club mates bike after about 2000km

I'm not sure what to do, it will take many bearings to get me through the race season. These can only be got from Canyon and it takes many emails and long shipping time from the UK warehouse, you can not buy direct from the website.

At this stage I'm not sure what to do, is the bike fit for purpose?
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

https://shop.acros.de/steuersatz/is/

Check out the acros website, dunno if this helps

****I had to open this on my phone for it to work, website displays crap***

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

tuxy wrote: »
    Hey, the bottom headset bearing ( which is really thin and much more fragile than a normal headset bearing ) has gone on my Canyon CF Ultimate SLX after just 700km. It went on my club mates bike after about 2000km

I'm not sure what to do, it will take many bearings to get me through the race season. These can only be got from Canyon and it takes many emails and long shipping time from the UK warehouse, you can not buy direct from the website.

At this stage I'm not sure what to do, is the bike fit for purpose?
    Any advice?

Over 15k done on Canyons and not one headset giving trouble.
    the UK are pretty good now at getting stuff out (They were horrendous last year)

Probably about 80 quid but it's the full system, with the Acros yoke.

Did you keep the spacers on your bike and can you kind of spin them around with your fingers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Why would I pay €80 for parts for a bike that's almost new?
    I have the spacers still on it and they do not move.
    I've been in contact and so far have only received incorrect parts.

Good to hear you have had much more success with your Canyons
    Do you happen to have the new model cf ultimate slx? It uses different bearings than the older model slx and new model sl.

DKmac wrote: »
    https://shop.acros.de/steuersatz/is/

Check out the acros website, dunno if this helps

****I had to open this on my phone for it to work, website displays crap***

Thanks, I think the Ai-70 is the newest headset you can get parts for from there. That's for the old model SLX and new SL but not the new SLX

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Why would I pay €80 for parts for a bike that's almost new?
    I have the spacers still on it and they do not move.
    I've been in contact and so far have only received incorrect parts.

Good to hear you have had much more success with your Canyons
    Do you happen to have the new model cf ultimate slx? It uses different bearings than the older model slx and new model sl.

I'd be getting them/it replaced under warranty.

I only asked about the spacers because if they are able to spin around then the "Acros" yoke needs tightening/expanding. I did a bit of mileage on one bike before, when attaching a light, I realised it was loose. My bad! I always wondered where the rattling noise was coming from :o

I think mine is a 2015 model, pre the new seatpost clamping system.

You might get some extra info on your bike in the following Canyon section.

https://www.canyon.com/downloads/supportcenter/Ultimate_CF_SLX_ME_R39-16_mech_BOM_ts.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CNf6bUrW7g

This might be useful to you.
    If you look at the comments, there are links to alternatives.

Thanks, I've actually seen that video it mainly explains how the new canyons have different and possibly weaker bearings :(

The thing is apart from this I don't see too many complains about it. Maybe I've just been unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TiBoy

This link might help if you have to source the bearings?

https://shop.acros.de/search?sSearch=canyon

I'm guessing, probably wrongly, that they can be got from a local bearing shop if anyone knows the bearings specification(s).

TiBoy wrote: »
    This link might help if you have to source the bearings?

https://shop.acros.de/search?sSearch=canyon

I'm guessing, probably wrongly, that they can be got from a local bearing shop if anyone knows the bearings specification(s).

I wish it was as simple as just ordering from a site but that's the bearings for the old SLX

Ok so I just read the comments on that youtube video and found out https://www.kineticbikebearings.com making the bearings AC3344 and AC3544

They are not expensive
    Problem solved and I hope this post may help someone in the future!

• Advertisement

Or maybe not.....
    All new trade account applications will be only be granted to independent bicycle dealers and mobile mechanics who perform their business in the bicycle trade. Note, a trade account isn't automatically granted – we may ask for further information.

If you are a non-trade consumer then please return to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Or maybe not.....

Don't panic there is a retail site too

https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=&q=acros

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd be getting them/it replaced under warranty.
    i'd be inclined follow this route too. though you're possibly in a sticky situation - if you do anything to replace them or work on them, canyon could theoretically claim void of warranty or that you damaged them. but you want to use your bike. i'd expect parts like that to last thousands rather than hundreds of kilometres. one complicating factor is how long you've had the bike - i assume a few months?

i'd be inclined follow this route too. though you're possibly in a sticky situation - if you do anything to replace them or work on them, canyon could theoretically claim void of warranty or that you damaged them. but you want to use your bike. i'd expect parts like that to last thousands rather than hundreds of kilometres. one complicating factor is how long you've had the bike - i assume a few months?

Yes, since mid December.
    They have actually sent me some things for free like a derailleur hangar so they can be ok like that. But they are very very slow and make mistakes.

Thanks! Twice as expensive but at least that's an option!
    I'm actually ok with this once the new bearings last a bit longer. I'm very happy to have a source that's easy to order from.

You can email acros with the exact canyon ultimate you have and they should provide you with a link to their site where you can buy the correct bearings.

I did this for my canyon aeroad head set bearings, so should work for you.

TiBoy wrote: »
    You can email acros with the exact canyon ultimate you have and they should provide you with a link to their site where you can buy the correct bearings.

I did this for my canyon aeroad head set bearings, so should work for you.

Yes but the Aeroad bearings are listed on the acros site however the Ultimate SLX from 2016 onwards is not.

If I were you- and I'm not- I'd consider emailing Acros. If they can't provide you with a link on their website to the exact bearings they should be selling, I'd then ask them where I can source them. If having exhausted that route, I'd tell them you are not a happy acros end user and "indicate" your utter dissatisfaction with the acros end user experience .:D

I'd inform canyon Canyon of your dissatisfaction with them using, what should be, a very readily available service component.

If that fails, and you can't find a replacement bearing from another source, I'd bring your ultimate to a friendly bike shop for advise, who could possibly know where to get the bearings, or possibly provide an alternative headset solution.

Obviously lots of permutations to the above.

Advertisement