Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garcia v Thurman 4th March

• 27-10-2016 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭

Any picks on Garcia-Thurman? Top WW fight. Not quite SRL-Hearns, but top nonetheless. If both can take each other's shots I think it's razor close. Thurman's speed being the deciding factor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I'd fancy Thurman to outwork him .

I really dont see why figthers dont take these fights more often .

More than likely they will be close and entertaining.

That means that a rematch is likely which will make them both a lot of money.

Just look at Frampton Santa Cruz . Making twice the money this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Garcia always seems to find a way. He deserves the **** he gets in terms of cherry picks and gifted decisions but he's one hell of a fighter, incredibly underrated. The way he handled Matthyse was incredible. I don't think Thurman is all that either. I'd slightly favour Cherry if I was to bet on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I can see it being a very close fight, tough one to call. I'll go for Garcia by split decision.

Garcia is worth a bet at the prices, there is some 2/1 available. I thought the odds would be closer to 8/11 and 11/8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

Surprised at those odds.

This should be a close fight. I fancy Thurman slightly, but that's it. I've never been fully convinced by him, but in fairness he has kept winning. I suppose I could say the same for Garcia. Anyway it's a good matchup, but at those odds Garcia represents a little value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Thurman for me if he connects clean can end this. I am not sure Garcia can...Sure, he has power, but I have a feeling that one shot won't take Thurman out.

Garcia has a fine chin and loves a scrap. The way he took a red hot Matthysse's punches was impressive. Can't see him being KO'd. Thurman has overrated power imo.

Burial. wrote: »
    Garcia has a fine chin and loves a scrap. The way he took a red hot Matthysse's punches was impressive. Can't see him being KO'd. Thurman has overrated power imo.

Not sure about his chin. He seems to deflect and parry and block a lot of shots. Most of Lucas's shots did not hit flush. One that did in rd 9 I think had Garcia wobbled and dazed; the gum-shield also flew out. A Thurman clean hit dropping or stopping Garcia would not be a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

ANyone know approx what time they will be in the ring at? ABout 4am I am guessing?

It has the potential to be a cracker, and although my initial pick was with a little certainty for Thurman, I am leaning a little with Danny now. Danny's timing may be the key to the win. It's very good. Ok, I'll still lean with Thurman due to being a little sharper and faster....

• Advertisement

ANyone know approx what time they will be in the ring at? ABout 4am I am guessing?

Between 02.30 and 03.15 I reckon. 5 hrs behind us

Garcia to win a close decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Still not sold on Thurman . The value bet is Garcia and that's who I'll be backing as part of a double .

Haye inside 4 @ 2/1 and Garcia @ 7/4

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

walshb wrote: »
    Between 02.30 and 03.15 I reckon. 5 hrs behind us

Hmm. Thanks but the coverage does not start on Boxnation until 2am. Doubt the main event would be on that soon?

The Boxnation coverage goes on from 2am until 7am (5 hours in total). I would guess the main event would be on much later?
    Just want to know so I can get as much sleep beforehand! Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Coverage here starts on CBS at 9pm. It is their second primetime boxing special after Ali v Spinks in 1978.

The undercard has 8 fights but according to the schedule only one is televised which is a light middleweight clash. So expect ringtime for main event to be from 10.30pm/3.30am.

Bookies have Thurman as favourite.

Heal me, for God's sake heal me!!

Burial. wrote: »
    Heal me, for God's sake heal me!!

Surely healing is upon us.

What a lovely KO that was from Lubin.

pac_man wrote: »
    Lovly knock out from Lubin. Really good talent for his age but still think he needs a couple more fights before talking about titles. That division is starting to come stacked.

Agreed he's only 21, plenty of time to mature.

Can't wait for this fight.

• Advertisement

Great action already in the first. Garcia waiting for a counter.

Thurman pouring it on here.

Great round for Thurman.

Broner wearing an outrageous shirt there!

Great first round. Thurman's no doubt as he unleashed bombs there.

Thought Garcia took round 2 there, Thurman ended it strong but Garcia did well to slip most of Thurmans work and countered.

Really good fight. 2-1 Thurman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Thurman looking really good. Do feel it's inevitable till Garcia times him coming in though.

I thought Garcia won 4, lovely left hook to the body in there.

3-2 Thurman for me.

• Advertisement

Round 6 wasn't great, Garcia did enough for me.

Half way there and have Thurman up 4-2.

First round CBS didnt go to ads which is good as we can get to hear the cornermen.

Round 7 for Thurman.

6-3 Thurman, not great for my Garcia bet. :o

Thurman's to lose now. He's the busier fighter.

Garcia needs a ko.

Garcia round there for me, 7-4 Thurman. Garcia needs a KO.

• Advertisement

115-113 Thurman for me, my card looks a little close though I think Thurman would be a clear enough winner, Garcia had a strong finish but too late.

The right decision but a split decision? Dont see that.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    The right decision but a split decision? Dont see that.

Yeah I don't see how anyone could have given it to Garcia, 116-112 / 115-113 seemed about right to me.

Going to catch this fight later. Great/good or ok?

Undercard any use?

Going to catch this fight later. Great/good or ok?

Undercard any use?

Was only okay, started out very good and looked like it might be a classic after the first couple but then it calmed down. It always felt like Thurman was in control of the fight but it felt like he took some rounds off and made it bit closer than the scorecards than it suggests. Thurman looked spectacular in parts and Garcia looked very ordinary. Thurmans corner made a mistake imo in the 10th telling him the fight was basically over and he took rounds 11 and 12 off which was a bit risky. The better man definitely won though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Not a great fight... average. There just seems to be something missing with Danny. No sense of urgency. Too laid back.

Danny's feet always looked like they were loaded. Not a bad mover on the backfoot, but very cumbersome moving forward. I like his style, but he seems somewhat limited..

Khan would again lose by KO, and probably earlier too. Danny would likely have no hesitancy in letting the hands go, and he has that raw power.

Thurman would annihilate Khan, and I reckon he'd beat Manny too. He has powerful fast hands. He stops Khan and Manny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Danny's feet always looked like they were loaded. Not a bad mover on the backfoot, but very cumbersome moving forward. I like his style, but he seems somewhat limited..

Khan would again lose by KO, and probably earlier too. Danny would likely have no hesitancy in letting the hands go, and he has that raw power.

Thurman would annihilate Khan, and I reckon he'd beat Manny too. He has powerful fast hands. He stops Khan and Manny.

Some people are now saying Thurman's power is overrated, but that's overlooking the fact Garcia can really take a punch. Thurman, i think, would also stop Brook late on if they fought.

Some people are now saying Thurman's power is overrated, but that's overlooking the fact Garcia can really take a punch. Thurman, i think, would also stop Brook late on if they fought.

Brook would be a sitting duck for Thurman's power shots. I'd really fancy Thurman early..

Advertisement