Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE/DB/NTA on Pat Kenny this morning

• 15-02-2017 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭

For those of you interested Anne Graham of the NTA was on Pat Kenny alongwith managers of DB and Irish rail this morning discussing Irish public transport.

podcast can be found here:
    http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/The_Pat_Kenny_Show/

second option titled how can we improve irelands public transport

I didnt get to hear much as turned on too late but a comment came in about the 07:40 m3 parkway Docklands being full to capacity to which the reply was the standard its the international norm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To be honest there's usually only one train in Docklands most of the time I only ever noticed a 2nd train there occasionally in the evening stabled in the 2nd platform. Doesn't sound right but at the same time the connolly area is badly overcapacity and the building of the DU really would've taken alot of pressure off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It was the standard old blather that Pat Kenny has been putting out since the 1970s. Don't waste your time listening.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Pat Kenny to be honest wasn't a good choice for this debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

devnull wrote: »
    Pat Kenny to be honest wasn't a good choice for this debate.

Plus there was nobody to speak for CIE's customers unless I missed that bit. As for Barry Kenny and the NTA woman ...:rolleyes:

Just re-listened to the first couple of minutes that I missed this morning and there was nobody to represent customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

It's far worse on Newstalk. God be with the days when the radio stations got researchers, who actually researched the topics for the interviewers and had some good questions. Instead Barry K is allowed to say anything he wants, completely unchallenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Plus there was nobody to speak for CIE's customers unless I missed that bit. As for Barry Kenny and the NTA woman ...

Just re-listened to the first couple of minutes that I missed this morning and there was nobody to represent customers.

there never is . there never will be. nobody cares about us . regardless of who runs things, or who regulates. will never change

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

They keep on saying post 2020. This in itself makes me loose confidence given that they are procrastinating on major prerequisites. I will only believe this when I see the first dig from a spade at either end of the now very hypothetical Metro North and DART Underground Routes.

Also, they are saying that they are trying to make public transport and cycling more attractive by providing better infrastructure. This is where there needs to be a uniform approach to town planning where the flow of buses and cyclists is seamless in the urban and suburban fabric. How is this supposed to be achieved where there are towns trying to exempt themselves from this ideology.

Look at Dalkey for example. A car owners paradise. As far as I'm concerned, the infrastructure is unwelcoming to even moderate increases in frequency of bus routes given that the roads are so tight. If, for instance, the 59 bus were to be run every 5 minutes (very very unlikely I might add due to political meddling), the tight roads won't cut it.

Having buses pull into side roads at a very modest hourly frequency because of the narrow width slows down buses thus, making the journey even more unattractive. The car is obviously going to win in this case.

Ironically, the host of the show, Pat Kenny himself would strongly object to any infrastructure improvement that would better accommodate buses in Dalkey given that road widening would very much be needed if they really want to push for a modal shift.

This is my opinion.

Advertisement