Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring a car transport trailer in Mayo

Options
  • 15-02-2017 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I am considering buying a car that would need to be transported (towing will not work). I did a search for companies hiring car transporters but nothing has came up.

Has anybody got the name of a company hiring these trailers on a day to day basis?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've hired a trailer from Mulchrones in Westport that I could fit a Volkswagen Caddy on.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

Davy's Ballina have all sorts of trailers, if you need someone to pick the car up for you, then any of the breakdown services will do it - not cheap mind, maybe €1/km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Thanks for the help folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

C&T Garage in Killavally used to have one.

Remember though, that for that kind of trailer you'll need B+E licence.

CiniO wrote: »
    C&T Garage in Killavally used to have one.

Remember though, that for that kind of trailer you'll need B+E licence.

What are the actual steps in getting that trailer license, same all over again? theory test, full driving test with trailer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

voz es wrote: »
    What are the actual steps in getting that trailer license, same all over again? theory test, full driving test with trailer?

From RSA

How to obtain a car and trailer licence?

You must hold a current full driving licence in the category B (car).
    You must first pass a driver theory test in the category BW (if not already passed to obtain a category B licence)
    Apply for a learner Permit in category BE in an NDLS centre.
    After passing a driving test in the car/jeep and trailer you can then apply for the category BE to be added to your full driving licence.

irishgeo wrote: »
    From RSA

How to obtain a car and trailer licence?

You must hold a current full driving licence in the category B (car).
    You must first pass a driver theory test in the category BW (if not already passed to obtain a category B licence)
    Apply for a learner Permit in category BE in an NDLS centre.
    After passing a driving test in the car/jeep and trailer you can then apply for the category BE to be added to your full driving licence.

I'm at the B license stage many years experience. Interesting I could have driven a tractor and silage trailer down the road, but not a twin axel trailer. I had been driving twin axel trails for ten years prior to this red tape, hadn't need to look into it since now.

I'm a little confused, do I need another theory test? I have the B license for 15 years or that.

From what I understood, the route from the B license to BE is Theory Test - Filled application form D401 - Provisional License- test- pass.

Is there a minimum amount of lessons required if any?

There seems to be nobody to talk to anymore the NDLS, they don't have a contact number.

voz es wrote: »
    I'm at the B license stage many years experience. Interesting I could have driven a tractor and silage trailer down the road, but not a twin axel trailer. I had been driving twin axel trails for ten years prior to this red tape, hadn't need to look into it since now.

I'm a little confused, do I need another theory test? I have the B license for 15 years or that.

From what I understood, the route from the B license to BE is Theory Test - Filled application form D401 - Provisional License- test- pass.

Is there a minimum amount of lessons required if any?

There seems to be nobody to talk to anymore the NDLS, they don't have a contact number.

If you passed theory test when you originally applied for B licence, then you probably don't need one (I'm not 100% sure about that). However if you got your B licence before theory tests were introduced, you'll need to pass one - and that's 100%.

Your understanding is correct - theory test - apply to NDLS for driving permit - practical driving test - and apply to NDLS for full licence BE.

You don't need to do any lessons and there's no waiting period between getting driving permit and apply for driving test (like there is for B or A licence at the moment).

And it's not exactly true that you always need BE licence for towing twin axle trailers.
    It doesn't depend on amount of axles but on trailer and car specified weights.

In short with your B licence, you can tow trailer plated to 750kg gross weight with any vehicle plated up to 3500kg.
    Or you can tow a heavier trailer, but only provided that sum of plated car and trailer gross weight doesn't exceed 3500kg.

So f.e. if your car is plated 2000kg gross, and your trailer is plated 1500kg gross, you can tow such combination on your B licence. (even if such trailer is twin axle).
    However to have this trailer fully laden to 1500kg, you have to make sure that car is plated to tow trailers of such weights.

For anything heavier you will need BE.

If you passed theory test when you originally applied for B licence, then you probably don't need one (I'm not 100% sure about that). However if you got your B licence before theory tests were introduced, you'll need to pass one - and that's 100%.

Your understanding is correct - theory test - apply to NDLS for driving permit - practical driving test - and apply to NDLS for full licence BE.

You don't need to do any lessons and there's no waiting period between getting driving permit and apply for driving test (like there is for B or A licence at the moment).

And it's not exactly true that you always need BE licence for towing twin axle trailers.
    It doesn't depend on amount of axles but on trailer and car specified weights.

In short with your B licence, you can tow trailer plated to 750kg gross weight with any vehicle plated up to 3500kg.
    Or you can tow a heavier trailer, but only provided that sum of plated car and trailer gross weight doesn't exceed 3500kg.

So f.e. if your car is plated 2000kg gross, and your trailer is plated 1500kg gross, you can tow such combination on your B licence. (even if such trailer is twin axle).
    However to have this trailer fully laden to 1500kg, you have to make sure that car is plated to tow trailers of such weights.

CiniO you have been a great help to me here, thanks for that. I think you have saved me going for a theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Sorry, this is incorrect. The maximum weight limit allowable on a B category is 750kg, as long as he combined weight of your vehicle, contents, trailer and load do not exceed 3500kg. Anything over the 750kg weight limit pushes you into the BE category which is a combined weight limit of 7000kg, or 3500kg for the vehicle and 3500kg for the trailer.

• Advertisement

shinikins wrote: »
    Sorry, this is incorrect. The maximum weight limit allowable on a B category is 750kg, as long as he combined weight of your vehicle, contents, trailer and load do not exceed 3500kg. Anything over the 750kg weight limit pushes you into the BE category which is a combined weight limit of 7000kg, or 3500kg for the vehicle and 3500kg for the trailer.

Sorry mate, but it's not me, but you who is wrong.

Check your facts first before writing next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

What car weights two tonnes lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Taken from the NDLS website:

You can tow a trailer with a

MAM no greater than 750kg, and/or
    Where the MAM of the trailer exceeds 750kg but where the MAM of the vehicle and trailer does not exceed 3500kg.

As a general rule your category B licence would not allow you to tow a horsebox or a livestock trailer for bringing animals to the local mart.

Just keep in mind that the guards are cracking down on trailer licensing big time, particularly outside marts and places that people will be towing trailers to/from. They have a mobile weighbridge that they can put out, you drive the car over and it works out the total weight of loaded car and loaded trailer. If this exceeds 3500kg youre in trouble.

So whatever the maximum authorised mass is of your car plus the maximum authorised mass of the trailer, cannot exceed 3.5 ton. Larger trailers/boxes etc will have a larger MAM.

What car weights two tonnes lol.

It's a design gross weight what counts (so kerb weight of the car + maximum load it can take).
    Plenty of bigger saloons have DGVW of over 2 tonnes.

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Taken from the NDLS website:

You can tow a trailer with a

MAM no greater than 750kg, and/or
    Where the MAM of the trailer exceeds 750kg but where the MAM of the vehicle and trailer does not exceed 3500kg.

As a general rule your category B licence would not allow you to tow a horsebox or a livestock trailer for bringing animals to the local mart.

Just keep in mind that the guards are cracking down on trailer licensing big time, particularly outside marts and places that people will be towing trailers to/from. They have a mobile weighbridge that they can put out, you drive the car over and it works out the total weight of loaded car and loaded trailer. If this exceeds 3500kg youre in trouble.

So whatever the maximum authorised mass is of your car plus the maximum authorised mass of the trailer, cannot exceed 3.5 ton. Larger trailers/boxes etc will have a larger MAM.

And it's worth noting that MAM (maximum authorised mass) is the same thing as DGVW (design gross vehicle weight) and relates to maximum possible weight when vehicle and trailer are fully loaded.

So if MAM of your car is 2000kg and MAM of the trailer is 1600kg, you can't tow it with B licence. You need BE.
    Even if both car and trailer are empty, and say car only weights 1500kg (with the driver) and trailer only weights 600kg (empty).
    Combination on a weight bridge would be 2100kg, but you still can't tow it, because limit of 3500kg applies to sum of MAM of both car and trailer.

However there is an exception to 3500kg limit, and it applies when MAM of trailer is up to 750kg. Such trailer can be towed with any vehicle up to 3500kg.
    So if your towing vehicle is 3500 gross weight (f.e. transit), you can still tow 750kg MAM trailer with it on your B licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Did you get sorted with a trailer

Sorry mate, but it's not me, but you who is wrong.

Check your facts first before writing next time.

"Vehicles (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles 17
    or land tractors) having a MAM1
    not exceeding 3,500 kg,
    designed and constructed for the carriage of no more than
    8 passengers in addition to the driver and where the MAM1
    weight of the trailer is not greater than 750 kg.The combined
    MAM1
    weight of the drawing vehicle and trailer must not be
    greater than 3,500 kg. Quadricycles (other than those covered
    by AM) also come under this category."

My facts are correct. A trailer drawn under a B category cannot exceed 750kg, and the combined weight of both the trailer and drawing vehicle cannot exceed 3500kg.

shinikins wrote: »
    "Vehicles (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles 17
    or land tractors) having a MAM1
    not exceeding 3,500 kg,
    designed and constructed for the carriage of no more than
    8 passengers in addition to the driver and where the MAM1
    weight of the trailer is not greater than 750 kg.The combined
    MAM1
    weight of the drawing vehicle and trailer must not be
    greater than 3,500 kg. Quadricycles (other than those covered
    by AM) also come under this category."

My facts are correct. A trailer drawn under a B category cannot exceed 750kg, and the combined weight of both the trailer and drawing vehicle cannot exceed 3500kg.

Again the same - I don't know where did you get your quotation from, but it's incorrect.

That's a definition of category B vehicle according to S.I. No. 537/2006 - Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations 2006
    as amended by S.I. No. 483/2011 - Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2011. and S.I. No. 6/2013 - Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) (Amendment) Regulations 2013
    B

Vehicles (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles or land tractors) having a design gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3,500 kg, having passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons and where the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is not greater than 750 kg, or, where the combined design gross vehicle weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer does not exceed 3,500 kg.

A licence with code 96 permits the combination of drawing vehicle and trailer where the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer may exceed 750 kg and where the design gross vehicle weight of the drawing vehicle and trailer combined does not exceed 4,250 kg.

Also below it's stated the following:
    7.(1) A combination of vehicles which consists of a drawing vehicle and a trailer shall, for the purpose of these Regulations, be regarded as a vehicle—

(a) in category B, where the drawing vehicle is in category B and—

(i) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg, or

(ii) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer exceeds 750 kg but where the design gross vehicle weight of the combination does not exceed 3,500 kg

I can guarantee you that above is correct.

Your source wasn't.

Again the same - I don't know where did you get your quotation from, but it's incorrect.

That's a definition of category B vehicle according to S.I. No. 537/2006 - Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations 2006
    as amended by S.I. No. 483/2011 - Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2011. and S.I. No. 6/2013 - Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) (Amendment) Regulations 2013

Also below it's stated the following:

I can guarantee you that above is correct.

Your source wasn't.

My quotation was lifted directly from the statutes you've linked.

Advertisement