Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants Left Abandoning Vehicle

Options
  • 15-02-2017 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

So we have a house which I am trying to put back into reasonable order after the previous tenant upped sticks and left.

There is a small van left at the house.
    The keys are in it, but it is not roadworthy. It has numberplates.
    I've been told it is worth about 50eur scrap value.
    I've no idea who the legal owner is and it is not taxed.

What are my options regarding disposing of this vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

Is it parked on your property or on a public road/area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Is it parked on your property or on a public road/area?

The vehicle is on private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

riemann wrote: »
    The vehicle is on private property.

Then just call a scrap company and get them to remove it, they will give you a declaration once they do. If it's left on your land then you can do with it what you like.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Then just call a scrap company and get them to remove it, they will give you a declaration once they do. If it's left on your land then you can do with it what you like.

I don't have the log book of the vehicle and they require that for their paperwork.

It would be nice to cover some of the cost of the skip to remove all the other refuse but I don't want to do something illegal which could cause problems down the line.

I think I'll pop into the Gardai and see what they say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Could you move it out onto a public road? You wouldn't need the keys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

davo2001 wrote: »
    If it's left on your land then you can do with it what you like.

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Can you push it out onto the public road? <mod snip> report to council.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Tow it off your land onto the public road (obviously don't leave it parked in a dangerous manner). Call the council and tell them there's a vehicle abandoned at that location. Let them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Could you move it out onto a public road? You wouldn't need the keys

Keys are in it so be handy enough moved out some night and <mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

riemann wrote: »
    So we have a house which I am trying to put back into reasonable order after the previous tenant upped sticks and left.

There is a small van left at the house.
    The keys are in it, but it is not roadworthy. It has numberplates.
    I've been told it is worth about 50eur scrap value.
    I've no idea who the legal owner is and it is not taxed.

What are my options regarding disposing of this vehicle?

Thanks in advance.
    I don't suppose you have the option of deducting the cost to remove from the deposit?

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Tow it off your land onto the public road (obviously don't leave it parked in a dangerous manner). Call the council and tell them there's a vehicle abandoned at that location. Let them deal with it.

Where I live is a rural location, where everyone knows everyone, and abandoning a car on the side of the road would create a lot of commotion.

It's a good idea though, hopefully I won't have to go down that road so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If you're concerned about doing the right thing, it's not technically your van anyway. Ask the guards maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

If were' talking strictly legal then I think you've got a problem. You don't own the van or have documents for it so you will not be able to legally scrap it. Gardai or council will not remove it from private property. 
    You will probably have to let it sit there for a good few months and then possiblly have to initiate some legal action against the owners to have it removed. You will win and then eventually the baliffs could remove and scrap the car on your behalf. Possibly not if they are going to lose money on it. Really tricky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

I think if there's reasonable proof that it's abandoned, you can take possession of it and get it scrapped. I know someone who took possession of a vehicle abandoned in a hotel carpark for parts and scrap after consultation with the hotel and the gardai. I'd say contacting the gardai would be your best bet for that. If you're happy just to get it disposed of, I think the local council tows abandoned vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Park it outside the Garda station

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement