Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heat Load and heat Loss

• 15-02-2017 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi All,

I am trying to understand what the BER is and does. I have an understanding of what it is and what it is there for, ie to work out the heat load and loss of the house. it is the figures that have me confused, and i want to have a grasp before i sit down with my BER assessor.
    here are my figures.
    house size is 210msq
    Energy Value 59.91 kwh/m2/yr- is this how much energy in killowatts an hour is required per msq per year?
    Renewable 10.63 kwh/m2/yr - [/B]
    Annual space heating 4932 kwhr/yr
    hot water 3560 kwh/yr
    heat loss 238 wk per msq

I was looking into Passive design and they say that a Passive house has a energy consumption of less than 15kwmsq, how do i work this out.
    is it my space heating of 4932 devided by size of house (210) which would give me 23.48
    is this correct and is this good

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I was looking into Passive design and they say that a Passive house has a energy consumption of less than 15kwmsq, how do i work this out.
    is it my space heating of 4932 devided by size of house (210) which would give me 23.48
    is this correct and is this good

there is no correlation between passive and BER.

they are two completely separate methodologies and have vastly different conventions and assumptions.
    I am trying to understand what the BER is and does.

first off you need to create a clear separation in your mind between a "BER cert" and a preliminary DEAP report... which it looks like you have.

A BER cert is an indication of energy usage of a house when compared to a similar sized and aged house... no more, no less.

A preliminary DEAP report gives you a specification of values of construction that will offer prima facia compliance with Part L of the building regulations.

The same software is used for both... but they are very separate beasts.
    I have an understanding of what it is and what it is there for, ie to work out the heat load and loss of the house

not really.
    there are so many assumptions made that it dillutes anything useful that can be applied specifically to individual Dwellings.

Section A3.5 of the manual refers

A3.5 Estimating the required boiler size
    DEAP should not to be used to size the heating system (this is usually up to the system designer or heating system supplier/installer).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shanaknocker

sydthebeat wrote: »
    there is no correlation between passive and BER.

they are two completely separate methodologies and have vastly different conventions and assumptions.

first off you need to create a clear separation in your mind between a "BER cert" and a preliminary DEAP report... which it looks like you have.

A BER cert is an indication of energy usage of a house when compared to a similar sized and aged house... no more, no less.

A preliminary DEAP report gives you a specification of values of construction that will offer prima facia compliance with Part L of the building regulations.

The same software is used for both... but they are very separate beasts.

not really.
    there are so many assumptions made that it dillutes anything useful that can be applied specifically to individual Dwellings.

Section A3.5 of the manual refers

A3.5 Estimating the required boiler size
    DEAP should not to be used to size the heating system (this is usually up to the system designer or heating system supplier/installer).

My apologies sid. It is a DEAP report that i have, i keep mixing up the names.

I understand that a Passive house has different methods of calculating and that it takes into count many other factors than a DEAP report. Do you mind if i PM you as i have questions to PV panels and from treads that i have read, you appear to be the man in the know

By the way are my calculations right 😉

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sure, pm me if you want. Pleaser describe what you want to use your figures for.

Advertisement