Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Women's Mini Marathon 5th June

Options
  • 15-02-2017 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

https://www.vhiwomensminimarathon.ie/
    Hi I've never done this before, although often thought about it. I'm thinking of entering it this year though. Is anyone else doing it ? Anyone here have any 'memories' of it ? :)
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Thinking of doing this myself. Oh wait................

Sorry:)

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Would love to do it but dont think il be in MARATHON shape by then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭positron

It's a 10k event.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

positron wrote: »
    It's a 10k event.

I think that may be sarcasm.....this seems to come up every year. Also the word marathon in a 10k event- its can be seen as a bit patronising (a little marathon for the wimmin kind of thing). But i don't think it will change any time soon!

It can be a fun day out - lots of charity groups and so on, and its wonderful to see so many people taking part -from the elites to the "lady" who did it in stillettos last year.

But as a run, it can be a disaster. Unless you are up in the elite pen, there can be walkers at every point - despite there being separate pens for runners, fast joggers, walkers etc. So if you plan to race it, the first 4k can be very frustrating, as you can have walkers strung across the whole road.

Don't get me wrong, there's room for everyone, but its unfair to get in the way of those who want to race it, when you are walking it. Same at most races.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Last year's thread would be good for event information

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,983 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Have to agree with ToriV. There's about 40,000 taking part. Only about 1,000 will actually get to run it at the pace they want. For everyone else it's a "fun" run. Although not much fun if you're a "fast jogger" stuck behind 15 women stretched across the road walking!!

It's the same issue every year, and I really don't know what can be done to change it.

That said, it's a nice course, it's a bit of craic and it's a good day out. Always loads of support and cheering along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭positron

ToriV wrote: »
    I think that may be sarcasm.....

I suspected that but.. :o

Many years ago my other half did this (it was Flora mini-marathon back then) and I wasn't aware of the commercial aspect of these races when I went along with her to RDS to collect the bib the day before, and no exaggeration when I had never seen so many pop-up shops trying to sell all kinds of stuff - reduced sale signs everywhere, 15 different songs playing at the same time, temporary mini catwalk ramps, flashing lights, the works - and we had to zig-zag thru all of that forever to get to a sad dark unlit corner where there was just a tired lone volunteer handing out bibs in near darkness. The contrast and greed on display was unreal.

That only happens at the RDS though!! Around the country there are regional collection points where it's a bit brighter and cheerier. Usually in a Nissan garage, who do sponsor it, but there's a bit of fanfare about it, and usually tea and coffee on offer!

I collected once in Dublin because I was living there at the time but didn't even look at the "Women's World Show". Just in and out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Have to agree with ToriV. There's about 40,000 taking part. Only about 1,000 will actually get to run it at the pace they want. For everyone else it's a "fun" run. Although not much fun if you're a "fast jogger" stuck behind 15 women stretched across the road walking!!

It's the same issue every year, and I really don't know what can be done to change it.

That said, it's a nice course, it's a bit of craic and it's a good day out. Always loads of support and cheering along the route.

I love it! It's one of my favourite races of the year -- I love the route, and the fact that I recognise so many of the women I'm racing from other races / clubs etc. There's great support and always a lovely atmosphere in town on the day. Plus it was my route into running -- I started jog / walking in 2010 to train for it as I wanted to run it for the DSPCA. Haven't looked back since!

It's really worth trying to get an Elite or Runner's number. You don't need to run super-fast to get either -- it's sub-45 for elite (so not elite at all!) and (I think?) sub 60 for Runners. If you get a Runner's number arrive early and start right at the front of your pen (if you're a 46-50 min runner) - then you'll get a good start.

I'll admit, if you start further back, it will have to be a fun run, because it will be so packed, but (especially if it's your first race or first 10k) there's nothing wrong with that once in a while!

Enjoy!

PS Marthastew wrote a great report on racing it a few years ago, if a Mod could dig it out? I couldn't find it with my cursory search!

positron wrote: »
    I suspected that but.. :o

Many years ago my other half did this (it was Flora mini-marathon back then) and I wasn't aware of the commercial aspect of these races when I went along with her to RDS to collect the bib the day before, and no exaggeration when I had never seen so many pop-up shops trying to sell all kinds of stuff - reduced sale signs everywhere, 15 different songs playing at the same time, temporary mini catwalk ramps, flashing lights, the works - and we had to zig-zag thru all of that forever to get to a sad dark unlit corner where there was just a tired lone volunteer handing out bibs in near darkness. The contrast and greed on display was unreal.

Bib-collection is still at the back of the RDS, but it's not dark and there are loads of volunteers, all of whom seem v friendly, and goody bags and last year some running celebs, like David Gillick, were hanging around that area handing out snacks etc too.

I went to the Women's World show last year with my mum while I was picking up my number, and while it wouldn't be something we'd normally pay to go to or anything, we had a brilliant time - she got her nails done, I got my eyebrows threaded, we got loads of free samples etc and just had a fun day out.

I really loved the relaxation area and free lemonade etc after the race last year too.

(PS have no affiliation with the WMM, am just an enthusiastic participant :))

• Advertisement

I'm still trying to break the sub 60 HelenAnne!! It's not happening for me. And you certainly wouldn't want to rely on the Mini Marathon day to give you a PB!! You can add an extra km and an extra few minutes with all the weaving you have to do around walkers.... Who often seem to have jogger or fast jogger numbers!!

I'm still trying to break the sub 60 HelenAnne!! It's not happening for me. And you certainly wouldn't want to rely on the Mini Marathon day to give you a PB!! You can add an extra km and an extra few minutes with all the weaving you have to do around walkers.... Who often seem to have jogger or fast jogger numbers!!

I know! And I don't know how that happens, because up at the front two pens they're REALLY strict about having the right numbers. Last year a steward nearly didn't let one of the women who finished in the top ten in as she arrived to the pen about 5 mins late!

the first year I did it (it was my first ever race & I loved it then too, but it was a different experience to being nearer the front) it took me over an hour and a half, and I jogged the whole thing. I think it was the weaving that added so much time, because the very next 10k I did was 56 mins or so, so it must have been the crowds adding the time.

Yeah, I think the qualifying times for a jogger is an hour and 40. Which is crazy. I know some people might be very slow joggers but you'd easily brisk walk 10k in an hour and 40. A woman I know who's be a good walker, always registers as a walker (and starts with the walkers!) finishes every year in about an hour and 20. So even though you might be classed as a jogger or even a fast jogger, you could easily qualify for a section having never jogged more than a few feet!!

I think a bit of consideration from women would be better. If you know you're not going to be able to jog at least the first 3km without stopping then start back the field a little bit. Your time won't be affected but gangs of walkers early on certainly affect joggers times.

Again, I want to say I do enjoy the event. But I certainly don't use it as a time trial for myself!! I think I'll have to achieve my sub 60 in some other 10k!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

I have been a runner at it and still go badly caught with walkers at the start. I dont know why people who are walking it apply/or get a fast jogger or runner number.

I wonder would pacers help? I know you dont see pacers at 10ks very often, but with 40,000 people there could be something to think about.

Will still be doing it, as it was the first race i ever ran and always do it for the same charity. To the OP, i think do it - its a huge turnout and really enjoyable if you try to forget about times etc.

I think there'll always be a problem with walkers. I remember an Elite runner posting last year about meeting a line of walkers at about 3km I think. She said there was no way they could have started with the main body of the group, obviously because she was running, and they were strolling! So they decided to head off themselves a bit early, obviously hoping to get back before the crowd!! Why bother?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yeah, I think the qualifying times for a jogger is an hour and 40. Which is crazy. I know some people might be very slow joggers but you'd easily brisk walk 10k in an hour and 40.

The second time I did it I was entered as a walker with my mam and we were well below 1hr 40! This was in the late 90s though...

I swore never again without an elite number after the last time I did it. Even going from the sub 60 section it's still ludicrously congested at the start and a lot of people in there who really shouldn't be.

I wonder would finer divisions help - elite, 45-55, 55-65, 65-75, 75-90, walkers etc and have a gap between each bracket? The half marathon I'm doing next month (Reading) divides a field of 15k-ish into 7 waves and holds for a minute or so between waves to get people moving before the next bunch are set off.

The second time I did it I was entered as a walker with my mam and we were well below 1hr 40! This was in the late 90s though...

I swore never again without an elite number after the last time I did it. Even going from the sub 60 section it's still ludicrously congested at the start and a lot of people in there who really shouldn't be.

I wonder would finer divisions help - elite, 45-55, 55-65, 65-75, 75-90, walkers etc and have a gap between each bracket? The half marathon I'm doing next month (Reading) divides a field of 15k-ish into 7 waves and holds for a minute or so between waves to get people moving before the next bunch are set off.

That's a good idea, but I suppose it would take so many marshalls etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Have to say it's one of my favourite events each year.
    You can give out about walkers in the running section (and I would join in with you in that grumble also), people smoking and men taking part (I've no problem with that once it's to a minimum, for charity and they dress up).

But you can't discount the sheer turn out of women (and a few men) to walk/jog/run 10k and the thousands of euro raised for charity. The atmosphere of the run is amazing - I'm normally on my own as my friends aren't into running or they would be in the walking section and everyone is so friendly in the holding pen and the support along the route both by participants and supports is fantastic! In short it's a great day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

OP its a great fun event. This year will be my thirteenth time taking part.

I ran it a few times many years ago but for the last ten years I walk it (way down the back away from all the runners!) with my sisters and my daughter. None of them are into running and so I walk it. We have great craic doing it, love the entertainment at each kilometre, the atmosphere and having a chat. It's a great event for women of all ages, shapes and sizes. I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Thanks all , think I will do it, probably not as a 'serious run' but just to experience the day out :) to run with 40,000 others or so must be a tremendous experience :) just to say I've been there. Surprisingly entries not open yet.

• Advertisement

Entries are now open for this year's VHI Women's mini marathon.

https://www.vhiwomensminimarathon.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

'Runner' seems like a fairly broad category 45-60 minutes I've ran 10k in 45'40 this year, there's nothing elite about me, but I'd like to at least try to get a clear shot at running...could I try to get near the front of this group? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

fletch wrote: »
    That's interesting! I'm looking forward to doing that. Route map is here
    https://www.vhiwomensminimarathon.ie/_fileupload/Course%20Sketch%20map.jpg
    I'm mentally trying to run the route to figure out what it would be like and where would be a bit tougher. The loop on the Stillorgan dual carriage way is still going to be tough no matter what direction you run it! Think there's a little climb in Ballsbridge where Merrion Rd meets Pembroke rd.

Anyone know if there have the app again this year. I found it handy to refer to the training plan to see roughly where I should be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

fletch wrote: »

But that means the firemen spray will be at 2km mark? 😕

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    But that means the firemen spray will be at 2km mark? 😕

I'll not complain!

Does anyone know where you can find past results for the women's mini marathon? You can only go back to 2015 on the website?
    We were chatting about it over the weekend and I'm trying to figure out how many times I've taken part.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

Hey all, so I stupidly registered a few weeks ago in the walking category, because I filled in the form on my phone and wasn't sure how I'd upload 'proof' of my running times. Intended on changing to the 'Fast Jogger' category when I was on my desktop but kept putting it off and now I've missed the deadline for changing categories! :(

I've never done the MM before so I'm hoping someone can advise me. Is it possible to start off in a different category than the one I'm registered for, or are they really strict? Any leeway at all on the day if I speak nicely to a marshal?
    Would I be mad to even try running it, if I have to start with the walkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

bikubesong wrote: »
    Hey all, so I stupidly registered a few weeks ago in the walking category, because I filled in the form on my phone and wasn't sure how I'd upload 'proof' of my running times. Intended on changing to the 'Fast Jogger' category when I was on my desktop but kept putting it off and now I've missed the deadline for changing categories! :(

I've never done the MM before so I'm hoping someone can advise me. Is it possible to start off in a different category than the one I'm registered for, or are they really strict? Any leeway at all on the day if I speak nicely to a marshal?
    Would I be mad to even try running it, if I have to start with the walkers?

It's pretty strict and well marshaled, get there early enough to position yourself at the front of the walkers and try and move up a bit when the categories are merged.

• Advertisement

Although I've always gone to the category I've registered for, I've seen every year walkers bibs in the jogger and fast jogger sections.
    TBH if you get in behind a group of women, have a zip up (or black bin bag on if it's raining) you possibly can get in.

Otherwise get there really early and as near to the front of the walker section. Go with the flow for the first 2-3km and after that the crowd thins out a bit and you can pick up the pace.

Advertisement