Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Women's Mini Marathon 5th June

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

bikubesong wrote: »
    Hey all, so I stupidly registered a few weeks ago in the walking category, because I filled in the form on my phone and wasn't sure how I'd upload 'proof' of my running times. Intended on changing to the 'Fast Jogger' category when I was on my desktop but kept putting it off and now I've missed the deadline for changing categories! :(

I've never done the MM before so I'm hoping someone can advise me. Is it possible to start off in a different category than the one I'm registered for, or are they really strict? Any leeway at all on the day if I speak nicely to a marshal?
    Would I be mad to even try running it, if I have to start with the walkers?

Its easy to slip into any category you like, i see it every year.
    Just go to the area you're supposed to be in, then go to the porter loo and then go between the barrier to the category you want to be in.

Though I think myself unless you're in the elite group is there really any point in bothering with categories, its impossible to get anywhere for the first half km. Better to monitor your performance in a smaller, less congested race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alison D.

As a first-time race runner, I'm looking forward to this year's race. I do intend to be running rather than walking, but am in the Fast Joggers category. 
    For those of you who are running the race for charity, are you using any specific fundraising platforms? I joined a little too late and haven't had much time to train, let alone organise sponsorship. I decided just to use a payments app called Lydia, which is a payments app rather than a specific fundraising platform but is a lot quicker and easier to use.
    Does anyone have any tips for any other races that are less busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alison D.

As a first-time race runner, I'm looking forward to this year's race. I do intend to be running rather than walking, but am in the Fast Joggers category. 
    For those of you who are running the race for charity, are you using any specific fundraising platforms? I joined a little too late and haven't had much time to train, let alone organise sponsorship. I decided just to use a payments app called Lydia, which is a payments app rather than a specific fundraising platform but is a lot quicker and easier to use.
    Does anyone have any tips for any other races that are less busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dunshaughlin 10k is later in June and is always very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Kildare Thoroughbred Run on the 18th of June has a lovely flat route for the 10km. Always a great medal too.

• Advertisement

Fingal 10km is on in Swords as part of the race series.

If you're concerned about being a late fundraiser, i always donate a few quid myself to Saint Francis Hospice in Raheny. You always see them around a shopping centre or you can drop it into them.

You can even collect from friends on their behalf and then just drop in in informally. No pressure or time constraint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

My other half (non boardsie) will be running in this and we're hoping to spend a few hours in Dublin afterwards before driving back to Galway. Does anyone know of any shower facilities after the race? Any gyms near the finish that would do a pay-per-visit to use the showers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What do people think of others taking part in the mini marathon who are not raising money for charity?

The first year I did it, it was to raise money for a suicide charity (as I had lost a friend to it a few months before). I was uncomfortable looking for sponsorship from people, as well as having to explain why I was fundraising. Now don't get me wrong, it was a very worthwhile cause. Since then I've taken part in the mini marathon a few times and not raised money for charity. When I mention to people I'm taking part, they ask who [what charity] am I doing it for, and I reply (honestly) none. I feel like I nearly have to justify why I'm not doing it for charity, I just want to run a 10k! I do love looking at the various tshirts on participants and certainly appreciate that many worthwhile charities do benefit and depend upon this event every year.

Anyone else feel like this or am I over thinking it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I hear you Sunny Dayz. This is my thirteenth time doing it and for the first few years I always raised money for various charities. The last couple I have not mainly because my daughter does it with me and she raises money so I don't want to be asking the same people too.

It is a great platform for people to raise money and I love seeing all the different charities represented but there is no pressure on anyone to have to do it for charity. I am sure you, like me and most people, donate to various charities throughout the year so I do not feel bad for having a fun day out with my daughter and sisters and getting a bit of exercise and a nice medal for my effort. Enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    What do people think of others taking part in the mini marathon who are not raising money for charity?

I hate fundraising. I don't do it, I just run. My London Marathon spot was a ballot spot and everyone was absolutely shocked that I wasn't fundraising.

Tbh I'm sick of the link between charity and endurance sport - it's like you can't just do it for the love of it without there having to be a money element, and it's particularly bad in the UK compared to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

I've done it every year bar one for the past 10 years and I do not raise money every year. I do lots of other races through the year too, some others with a strong emphasis on charity fundraising but I feel bad asking my friends and family so regularly to donate. So every couple of years I might do some but most years I haven't and I think lots of people are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

Weather looks wet for Monday - be sure to be prepared!

Ah no!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pink Feather

Hey ladies!! Prob a bit off topic but hopefully someone knows the answer! I was just in the RDS and left a message for my mum and sister to come up on the board...but I totally forgot to check what km marker it comes up at! Does anybody know? And best of luck to everyone tomorrow ! 🀗

I know it was outside Donnybrook church in previous years. My husband did that message thing for me one year and as far as I could see it didn't even show!

Just looked into the Wall of Support and it's just before the 7km mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

J o e wrote: »
    My other half (non boardsie) will be running in this and we're hoping to spend a few hours in Dublin afterwards before driving back to Galway. Does anyone know of any shower facilities after the race? Any gyms near the finish that would do a pay-per-visit to use the showers?

A pass to Flyefit costs €9, they have a few gyms around the city. Baggot St. is pretty close to the finish. http://www.flyefit.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Just looked into the Wall of Support and it's just before the 7km mark.

I actually saw my name when I was passing.... 'Smile messy tessy you are nearly there!' :D delighted, even if it was for another person, was almost going to stop and take a photo of it but I didn't know if I'd start up again!

Really well organised race, plenty of water stops along the way, a courtesy car to drop you home if you wanted it. I will be doing it next year definitely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Will be on Sunday next year.

Thanks guys for all your help! I hope you's enjoyed it!
    When are results available?

• Advertisement

Anyone else think the reverse route is faster? Did my fastest ever WMM today and am hoping it's just that I am getting fitter and faster?

It was my first time doing it, but I reckon it would have being much faster that the old route! Other way around I think the hills might have being at just the wrong time for me ! It was lovely to run down hill on the turn on dual carriageway!

But you are prob fitter and faster !! :) it's such an encouraging b atmosphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

Does anyone think the course might have been slightly short today? 😬

Aquals wrote:
    Does anyone think the course might have been slightly short today? 😬

According to my Garmin it was 9.97km.

The results are on the website. We usually have to wait until Tuesday afternoon for the online results - after they are published in the Herald.

The results are on the website. We usually have to wait until Tuesday afternoon for the online results - after they are published in the Herald.

No they're not, they get published in the Herald first and then get posted on site unfortunately

S.L.F. wrote:
    No they're not, they get published in the Herald first and then get posted on site unfortunately

If you check the website you will see that the results for 2017 are there.

If you check the website you will see that the results for 2017 are there.

I did yeah, they have a pulldown for 2017 but its not populated with this years results yet.

You may be looking at previous years results?

...not that it makes much odds to me, my result is a shambles :o

• Advertisement

According to my Garmin it was 9.97km.
    Mine measured same. And I started mine before I crossed the mat as it bugs me when my watch measures short.

Advertisement