Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to skip a year in uni??

• 15-02-2017 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hey so i was just wondering if it is possible to skip a year in uni thanks

Comments

Generally not. For one thing, you won't accumulate enough ects (credits) to get your degree if you skip a year. There would also be issues with prerequisite modules

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Limitz

so its basically impossible to skip a year in uni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Limitz wrote: »
    so it's basically impossible to skip a year in university [?]

Okay, I don't know if you're phrasing the question badly because you don't want to put in the effort (in case noone ends up answering), but it's fairly pointless to ask a question that can't be answered.

I mean, what do you even mean by skip? What do you mean by 'year'? A stage? How would you skip a stage? Perhaps with recognition of prior learning? That would depend on your background, registration and programme. Skip: do you mean defer? Take a sabbatical? You don't even say what course you're doing, or even if you're referring to yourself. I guess you're talking about UCD because you're putting this in the UCD forum, but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pk2000

If you mean take a year out and then return a year later, then you can absolutely apply for a leave of absence. Contact your programme office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

I have heard of child prodigies being fast tracked through a degree in places like Cambridge etc but havent heard of this happening in Ireland. Maybe it can happen. You would require the permission of a lot of powerful people in the administration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement