Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel trouble

Options
  • 15-02-2017 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm a 26 year old Dublin man . When I was 18 I was caught with a small amount of heroin I was holding in my house for money.
    I was charged on section 15 of the criminal drugs act it went to court and after giving two years of clean urine and staying out of trouble I was given a 3 year suspended sentence in 2011.

I served this term staying out of trouble and got a great job with the chance to travel.
    I have a great opportunity to go to Canada but I'm so worried if I go for it i could lose it due to my past and I was wondering if there are any garda or people who work with visas and such who know about this stuff could help me I would really appreciate it thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As far as I can tell your conviction cannot be considered spent under the existing law - suspended sentenced need to be under 3 years; and only Section 3 drugs offences can be spent. You would need to talk to an immigration lawyer with specific knowledge of Canada but I would hold out little hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Moved to Canada forum for better answers

Advertisement