Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contactless card charge for minimum spend?

• 15-02-2017 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I used my BOI visa debit contactless card in my local Londis.  I only got a few items so bill was less than €8.  I paid and left and only then realised that they had charged me an additional 20c for the privilege of using the card.   I then recalled seeing a sign previously in the shop that purchases under 10 were subject to an extra charge.  Question is whether they are entitled to do this?  Annoyed too that I wasn't advised as I could have avoided the charge by getting an additional item.  We are encouraged to go contactless.  We use it regularly in other shops and no additional charge gets added, so what gives here?
    Cheers,
    SJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi,
    I used my BOI visa debit contactless card in my local Londis.  I only got a few items so bill was less than €8.  I paid and left and only then realised that they had charged me an additional 20c for the privilege of using the card.   I then recalled seeing a sign previously in the shop that purchases under 10 were subject to an extra charge.  Question is whether they are entitled to do this?  Annoyed too that I wasn't advised as I could have avoided the charge by getting an additional item.  We are encouraged to go contactless.  We use it regularly in other shops and no additional charge gets added, so what gives here?
    Cheers,
    SJ
    Hi SJ,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We are aware that some retailers will apply a charge to accept a card transaction and unfortunately this is outside our control. 

Thanks
    Tara 

Advertisement