Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite console game launch line up.....

Options
  • 15-02-2017 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Based on the recent schoolyard discussions surrounding the Nintendo's Switch line up it got me to thinking which console's launch line up really stood up to scrutiny. Of all the systems I got at launch I think it would be hard to argue against the original Xbox's games. The games I go at launch for the system where:

1) Halo - love it or hate it (I loved it) you can't deny the impact it had on the modern console shooter

2) Project Gotham Racing - I loved Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast and this being its spiritual successor was more than enough to keep me hooked for a long time

3) Dead or Alive 3 - another follow up to a Dreamcast game this was probably the most beautiful looking game available on any platform at the time

4) Jet Set Radio - (you can see a trend here) The follow up to the excellent Dreamcast game this one was better in every way. Thumping soundtrack, lush graphics and faster gameplay than the original. I'm still waiting for a follow up...

What do you think? Are all console launch games disasters or are there a few pearls out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I dont think this is allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I dont think this is allowed.

Really? I wouldn't have seen an issue with it. My mistake if it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Something about list threads i dont really pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Something about list threads i dont really pay attention.

I think if you just list games without any kind of explanation as to why you picked them then its considered "Not allowed" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Just to make forums that much more outdated ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No problem with threads of this sort as long as there's a little bit of effort put into explaining choices, as the OP did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Not sure if they were launch day titles but I bought these with the consoles. I'll always remember launching Resident Evil and Tomb Raider on the PS1 and was just blown away, state of the art stuff at the time. :)

PS3 - Resistance 2. First time with a HDMI cable, everything looked so shiny and new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a few that stand out.

Game cube was pretty great with Luigis Mansion being a classic and Super Monkey Ball being a surpringly brilliant game. You also had Rogue Squadron to really show off the hardware.

The SNES had F Zero and Super Mario World. Two of the best games ever made. The N64 similarly had Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 just unfortunate the console struggled to put out quality titles.

The first Playstation had an awful launch in Japan but much better in the US and EU. Its the only Playstation console without a terrible launch line up. Ridge Racer is a bit dated but it was a great way to show the power of the machine and made a mockery of the Saturn's Daytona USA port. Battle Arena Toshinden was a pile of stinking ****e but it looked incredible against the rushed Saturn port of virtual fighter 1 with its untextured polygons. Europe got a better launch than the US with Jumping Flash, a criminally under rated first person platformer that is still great. We also got Wipeout which hasn't aged the best but pretty much defined the playstation 1. And lastly the forgotten about Rapid Reload/Gunners Heaven which was a poor man's Gunstar Heroes but still a great game in its own right. The US playstation division was against 2D games meaning they missed out on this little gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If we're only going by launch titles, I do agree that the original Xbox had the "best".

But mostly only because all other launches were sparse on the classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I don't think there are any truly awful launches (in Europe at least). I know a lot of people give out about the current generation, specifically PS4/ XBoxOne, but I think Battlefield 4 is one of the best games I've played this generation so far.

In terms of slim selection I'd have to hand this one to the Dreamcast. Was not a great selection at launch. I picked up Sonic Adventure and PowerStone. Both were great games but were rather short lived and didn't have much in the way of longevity.

Another great launch was the Megadrive. Picked up Shinobi, Golden Axe, Truxton and Ghostbusters. Plus Altered Beast was bundled in (saved me many a 20p coins). All very arcadey but the arcades are were I spent my youth:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

For me, whilst not having the biggest catalog of quality games, when the xbox 360 launched, the jump in visual fidelity to HD, coupled with Call Of Duty 2 hot on the heels of Saving Private Ryan / Band of Brothers was mindblowing.

its about the only time I can remember non gaming people seeing a console an being amazed at what was being pushed out.

which is funny, cause it hasn't aged terribly well at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vyse wrote: »
    I don't think there are any truly awful launches (in Europe at least). I know a lot of people give out about the current generation, specifically PS4/ XBoxOne, but I think Battlefield 4 is one of the best games I've played this generation so far.

The PS4 and Xbox One were awful launch line ups and also awful launch windows. Battlefield 4 might have been good but it was also available on PC and previous gen machines, not exactly and exclusive worth buying a new console for.
    In terms of slim selection I'd have to hand this one to the Dreamcast. Was not a great selection at launch. I picked up Sonic Adventure and PowerStone. Both were great games but were rather short lived and didn't have much in the way of longevity.

A lot of people regard the Dreamcast as having one of the best launch line ups. Sonic Adventure has aged incredibly poorly (I think it's a bad game) but it looked incredible, better than any game out at the time.

The ?US launch was much better than the EU one and had NFL 2K, NFL Blitz, Ready 2 Rumble, Hydro Thunder, Trickstyle and Powerstone (not a launch game in the EU). House of the Dead 2 as well but the US version was pants as the gun peripheral never got released in the US (blame columbine)
    Another great launch was the Megadrive. Picked up Shinobi, Golden Axe, Truxton and Ghostbusters. Plus Altered Beast was bundled in (saved me many a 20p coins). All very arcadey but the arcades are were I spent my youth:pac:

Only Golden Axe and Altered Beast were launch titles. Golden Axe is dated but ok. Altered Beast on the other hand is an awful, awful game. Bleurgh!

Advertisement