Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with a leg of goat?

Options
  • 15-02-2017 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭

So, my awesome egg-man who also rears goats has just delivered my first batch of kid meat. He gave me a leg (about 2kg) and chops and I'm planning to cook the leg this weekend.

I'm thinking either a curry or dry- rubbing and slow roasting it to flake onto flatbreads but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know there was a regular poster in the past who was big into goat but his name escapes me right now and I'm on the app so the search function is an existential joke.

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lucky, lucky you. To be honest, if it is your first time having goat I'd go for something that will give you a taste of real goat & simply roast it like a leg of lamb. If it is not from a kid, treat it more like mutton & roast it long & slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I am still keen to get cooking a bit of goat, might make it my mission this weekend as the wife will be on duty, and I'll have a free man cave.

The kids will believe it's chicken, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Exactly what Hill Billy said

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

My all time favorite Goat Leg recipe has to be this "dry" curry one:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s2194058.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

For a leg of kids goat, I'd roast it like lamb. Shoulder would be ideal for Jamaican curry goat.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I made a rub of cumin, coriander, fennel, thyme, rosemary and lemon zest. Left in that overnight on Friday then slow roasted it for about seven hours yesterday. Shredded it and served with homemade flatbreads, lemon-pickled cherry tomatoes, pomegranate salad and mint-vinegar yoghurt. It was absolutely AMAZING and I'll be ordering another off Tim today.

Was hoping for leftovers but it was all absolutely milled. My initially dubious family are all converts.

Advertisement