Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadet application process

Options
  • 15-02-2017 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi guys Im 18 and doing my LC, I to apply for my cadetship in the army or the navy, I have looked on military.ie and i am aware of the application process, but i cannot find the timeline for the process. ie when the online applications open, roughly when the overnight assessments are held on so forth. I am aware that these dates are likely to vary from year to year but if anyone could help with the rough schedule that would be appriciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Karlos49

Never heard anyone getting into the Cadets straight out of school, you need to either have a college degree or spend some time as a 3 star, they do the applications around spring time I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

Karlos49 wrote: »
    Never heard anyone getting into the Cadets straight out of school, you need to either have a college degree or spend some time as a 3 star, they do the applications around spring time I think.

Plenty have and do get in straight out of school, I know at least 3 who have.

Class intake is in sept/October. I think the assessments are in the summer after exams are finished.

Go for it this year and if you don't get it the experience will stand to you next year. You have time on your side. I know a lad who went for it 4 times and just missed out l. He went into the PDF and applied again and got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Of course you can go from LC to a Cadetship.

When you get Commissioned you are sent to college to get a degree.

Don't listen to this guy OP.

I wanted to join the cadets after the LC too, but every officer ive spoken too, has told me the exact same thing, spend time as a 3 star or get a degree in college first, otherwise your chances are very slim, so I ended up doing an pprentice course instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I wanted to join the cadets after the LC too, but every officer ive spoken too, has told me the exact same thing, spend time as a 3 star or get a degree in college first, otherwise your chances are very slim, so I ended up doing an pprentice course instead.

About half of the last few cadet classes have been school leavers.

• Advertisement

About half of the last few cadet classes have been school leavers.

Huh, intresting, source?

Huh, intresting, source?

First hand.

First hand.

Of course it is.

Of course it is.

Whatever you think yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

PM me the officers names who you spoke to.

Plenty of people obtain a Cadetship after the LC. Cadets without third level education upon Commissioning will spend a number of years in Galway, Dublin or Limerick under the USAC scheme.

This scheme pays for their college education. During the college break ups (summer, chirstmas, easter) they will return to their Units to carry out military duties.

So yes, a Cadet without a degree is very very common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Of course it is.

If you did indeed speak to an officer and that was the information they gave you they were either very misinformed or completely out of touch with cadet recruitment of the last ten years or so.

Since you are eager for proof, check out the Defence Forces Flickr account and you can see yourself first hand how many have single pips on their shoulders. Likewise in the AC & NS, there are varying numbers of graduates versus non graduates. Again, you can see these for yourself from pictures of commissioning ceremonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

There was a short lived trend in recent years of favouring graduates over secondary school leavers. The selection boards awarded an extra 10% to those with a degree AFAIK.

This practice has since been discontinued and now there is no extra points for graduates. This practice went on between the years of 2006 and 2013 roughly. I've heard it said they weren't happy with standard of some cadets that were being accepted and it was attributed to the fact that many of them were so much older having spent 4 years in college and possibly a year or two working.

I have spoken to former instructors in the cadet school who told me that historically (up to the mid noughties) the large majority of cadets would have been school leavers.

These days they seem to be trying to achieve a happy medium and a balance between graduates and school leavers.

Advertisement