Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec alarm

Options
  • 15-02-2017 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Have recently bought a house with an Astec alarm that isn't working. Can anyone tell me where I can find an installation manual?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Help Desk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Confused17 wrote: »
    Have recently bought a house with an Astec alarm that isn't working. Can anyone tell me where I can find an installation manual?

Is the system giving a fault code on the keypad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Confused17

altor wrote: »
    Is the system giving a fault code on the keypad?

Yes - it's flashing "fire" but when we replaced the fire alarms, one of them blew straight away & panel looked the same. Have tried engineer code but not getting results from panel. Have decided to replace fire alarms with unwired battery alarms but can't find wires to isolate on main panel so can't get rid of "fire" fault.

Yes - it's flashing "fire" but when we replaced the fire alarms, one of them blew straight away & panel looked the same. Have tried engineer code but not getting results from panel. Have decided to replace fire alarms with unwired battery alarms but can't find wires to isolate on main panel so can't get rid of "fire" fault.

You will need to default the system.
    If its not engineer locked.

Down power system, mains and battery. Remove battery link to disconnect the battery. Remove factory link and then power back up on battery. If the times goes to 12:55 you know its defaulted.

Links are located on both sides of the panel when the top lid is removed.

If its engineer locked you will need an engineer to unlock the system for you.

Will try what you suggest & hope it isn't engineer locked. Many thanks.

• Advertisement

Any problems let us know.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you are getting someone out to it beware of the lads who tell you you need to replace everything as all parts are obsolete.Most parts can be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jandjd

I have an Astec alarm system that was put in when our house was built. We now have a Phonewatch monitored alarm and I would like to completely disable the Astec system. Can anyone advise the best way to achieve this?

jandjd wrote: »
    I have an Astec alarm system that was put in when our house was built. We now have a Phonewatch monitored alarm and I would like to completely disable the Astec system. Can anyone advise the best way to achieve this?

Yes, if you remove the top lid then remove the fuse.
    The orange light should go out. On the top Right there is a link marked battery.
    Remove this and external bell should go off for 20 minutes then stop ringing.
    Close up the lid with fuse removed and the panel is dead.

You should do it during the day as external bell may activate for 20 minutes max.

Many thanks for your response altor.
    Is there any way of muting the outside alarm for the 20 mins as I live in a very 'sensitive' area?

• Advertisement

Many thanks for your response altor.
    Is there any way of muting the outside alarm for the 20 mins as I live in a very 'sensitive' area?

If you can take down the bell then yes.
    You should be fine doing it during the day tho.

Thanks Altor. I'll try that.

Thanks Altor. I'll try that.

You're welcome, any other problems let us know

Any problems let us know.

Managed to get back to 12.55 as you suggested. Put in 1st user code & this silenced alarm. Put in engineer code & was accepted but then couldn't exit this mode. Repeated exercise but this time just entered 1st user code. Allowed me to reset time/date but seemingly nothing else. During all this the yellow fault light was on & message call engineer shown.
    Have contacted 3 engineers who all said I needed to replace the system. Any ideas how to approach this?

KoolKid wrote: »
    If you are getting someone out to it beware of the lads who tell you you need to replace everything as all parts are obsolete.Most parts can be replaced.

Yes, exactly that happened. Any ideas where I can get an installation manual?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

PMed you that.

Managed to get back to 12.55 as you suggested. Put in 1st user code & this silenced alarm. Put in engineer code & was accepted but then couldn't exit this mode. Repeated exercise but this time just entered 1st user code. Allowed me to reset time/date but seemingly nothing else. During all this the yellow fault light was on & message call engineer shown.
    Have contacted 3 engineers who all said I needed to replace the system. Any ideas how to approach this?

Is it giving you a number for the call engineer?
    When in engineer mode does clear 11 show anything?

Clear 99 to exit engineer mode.

Most companys dont want the hassle of fixing them but spare parts are available for them if you look in the right place :D

Is it giving you a number for the call engineer?
    When in engineer mode does clear 11 show anything?

Clear 99 to exit engineer mode.

Most companys dont want the hassle of fixing them but spare parts are available for them if you look in the right place :D

Will try your suggestion & let you know what, if any, message is shown. Thank you.

Will try your suggestion & let you know what, if any, message is shown. Thank you.

Could be anything showing the fault.
    Come back to us and we will point you in the right direction.

KoolKid wrote: »
    PMed you that.

Got that - looks interesting & may well help identity the problem(s). Really appreciate it.

• Advertisement

That will also give you all the call engineer codes referred to.
    When you see what's showing I'll be able to tell you what you need.
    It's amazing how many companies out there just want to be installing new systems. About once a week we replace batteries or sensors for people who have been told by multiple companies they need a complete new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 raymiecoss

Folks,

Could someone please send me the Astec installation manual, also is there any work around for installing a SIM dialler? I have a off the shelf SIM dialler that would take a volt free input and send a text or call. I know there used to be an external relay board for the Astec panels, anyone know where I could locate one of these?

Or is there another workaround? Is there a serial bus I would connect an Arduino to for example?

A relay card or S22 SAB interface would give you an output for a dialler. They can still be got.
    We are no longer allowed use boards to share manuals, I'm afraid.

Hey KoolKid,

Thanks very much, any ideas where I can get my hands on the manual and the relay card? Also, what did the S22 retail at?

Most installers should be able to sort you out with both.

Thank you very much :-)

Advertisement