Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of gutting an old House

Options
  • 16-02-2017 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

I would be grateful for some info. Say you have an old house built in the 50s. It's about 1000 square feet metres in the Meath/Kildare area. Theres a problem with dampness in the house. The walls are damp every year and have to painted every year. While the floors have to replaced, they are wooden and not concrete. I have 5 questions below.
    1 What would it cost to gut the house keeping one or two walls but building new walls and drylining them.
    And also putting in new floors and a new roof and painting the inside and outside the house. And also putting in new windows and a new kitchen a new bathroom and an ensuite.
    2 If I built into the roof and built an ensuite and bedroom in the attic how much extra wud that cost?
    3 If I built a new porch to the front of the house how much extra would that cost?
    4 If I extended the house by a couple of metres at the back how much extra would that cost?
    5 if I just added a 1/3 of a normal sized room to the side of the house, how much extra wud it cost?. Coz to the rear there is a kind of small square taking out of the corner house and and I was thinking of extending the house to link up both corners . I hope that makes sense.

Any advice or any costing, estimations wud be so welcome. If you cud say the costings in money then metres it wud be great. eg the room extention might cost 30000 euros.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Demolition and new build may be cheaper
    You really need a Qs to advise
    Did what your suggesting a few years back for a house in cork, worked out at circa 2k per m2
    Renovating is crappy work for a builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Massive amount of work you're looking at. I think you'd be better off knocking and rebuilding. You'll get a much better, warmer and dryer end product. It's amazing the stuff you uncover in an old house when renovating no matter how much inspections and pre research you do and all these things end up costing time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

The problem is my budget is 170,000 maybe could get to 190,000. So I was hoping that doing up the house then knocking it would be cheaper. Would I be able to renovate the house above for 190,000. What could I do for 190,000. Could I knock and build for 190,000. A 1000 square foot metre house at the moment but the hope is to build into the attic for a bedroom and ensuite or instead extend one room on the ground floor. I would like to add a new porch to the front also. Thats all the changes and extensions I would like to do to the house. Most of the ground outside is done, just a new gate at the front and painting an outside shed. All the money would be spent on the house. I hope that makes sense .And advice would so welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is it 1000 sq feet or 1000 sq metres? I assume Sq feet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Yes 1000 square feet is correct. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

BryanF wrote: »
    You really need a Qs to advise
    Sonny678 wrote: »
    The problem is my budget is 170,000 maybe could get to 190,000. So I was hoping... Would I be able ... Could I ..but the hope is .... I would like to add... I would like... advice would so welcome.

the house is the house, the budget is the budget, write out a list of what you want and get a Qs to price.

Advertisement